Football In-Season Program

Would this be ideal for a in-season lifting program? I have 30 minutes in the weightroom every thursday and monday.

Monday and Thursday

Bench Press: 10 reps @ 75% of max

Squat: 3x5 using the percentage 60%, 65%, 70%

Leg Curl: 3 sets x 5 reps

Then leave to practice

Given your limited time schedule I would perform a complex movement. My recomendation would be to perform
Hang clean to Front squat to Press.

after a good warm up do 5 or 6 sets of 3 reps

On the Thursday workout you could use a dumbbell variation. 4 x 5
DB Clean Squat and Jerk

[quote]clarkl15 wrote:
Would this be ideal for a in-season lifting program? I have 30 minutes in the weightroom every thursday and monday.

Monday and Thursday

Bench Press: 10 reps @ 75% of max

Squat: 3x5 using the percentage 60%, 65%, 70%

Leg Curl: 3 sets x 5 reps

Then leave to practice

[/quote]

Coach-

I would follow the suggestion of implementing the power clean as part of your lifting. Also, steer way clear of any isolation movements (except for rehab). During the season, those can easily overtrain a player and lead to a pull or tear. They do enough running/sprinting that their legs will be in shape. However, off-season I HIGHLY recommend they hit the hammies HARD to beef them up. Hammies are often an under-developed body part that sees lots of injuries. Increases in ham strength will directly lead to more power and speed, more than any other body part.

I like the 2Xweek split, but if your games are Friday night or Saturday afternoon, you want an extra day of rest. I would look at lifting Sunday and Wednesday if possible. If not, then go Monday and Wednesday, so they have more recovery time.

Also, I discourage you to squat in-season. Unless it’s very light loading, the squat damages too much muscle fiber during the competitive season. You might start finding “dead legs” because the legs cannot get fully recovered. Squating is really for base strength off-season. In-season you just want to maintain leg strength - cleans and sprints will do just fine.

I like this routine for in-season training (I myself was a collegiate track national-level thrower).

Incline bench, 3X5@70%
Clean, 5X3@75%
Barbell/cable row, 3X5@70%

Done 2Xweek, increase weights 5-10 pounds each week for 3-4 weeks. Then, unload (go very light for a week or off completely) then start again with the week 3 weight. Back off the weights toward the end of the post-season.

TopSirloin

-Full squat
-romanian deadlift
-any form of press
Now this ain’t perfect, because I left out the upper back. But I’m sure you can find a place at home to do chin-ups.
For routines, just search this site!

Go to Joe De Franco’s site. I don’t like all these freaks that tell you doing squats is too hard in season… Blah Blah Blah. Coach De Franco has worked with many high school, college and pro football players and they all kick ass! His training is increadible. Check out his question and answer. I read a similar question and a response recently. Search the archives. defrancostraining.com/