Football Cut

[quote]swhole milk wrote:

[quote]red04 wrote:
Assuming he meant 20yd shuttle, just putting that out there.

Did you not hit up a school in time for spring ball? Just curious why you seem to not know much about what the coaches are expecting of you(or have need for) going into a summer tryout.

Cutting 20lbs should happen almost effortlessly as you build your work capacity to the needs of a college athlete, combined with just a little dieting. Unless you are getting newbie gains still because as you said, you’re fairly new to lifting, in which case don’t be so focused on the scale. You want to go into your tryout conditioned and fast, and conditioned(for emphasis). I haven’t read the new Wendler article but I bet it’s amazing, because Jim knows his shit.
[/quote]

Good point on 20yd shuttle, 4.7 is a respectable lineman time.

Regarding spring ball, lol, obviously not, but there are other factors why that wasn’t possible anyways.

I’m just getting to the point of body fat where I feel sluggish and tired. Anyone who has done serious intervals (track, football, whatever) at both lean and fatter body weights knows what i’m talking about. Not that I’m that fat right now but as we said on my track team, speed kills… all those who don’t have it.

Not to be dense, but I don’t know exactly how to define newbie gains. If I eat enough I expect to get stronger every week… and from reading about Westside and other heavy lifters this is not relegated to being new to lifting. So I kind of expect to get a little weaker every week from cutting, unfortunately. Should be easier to get it back though.
[/quote]

Sorry for confusion regarding my old stats (which don’t matter LOL): 6’2" 240, 18 y/0, 40-yard dash 4.7, pro-agility ~4.0 sec, 200-yard shuttle for DEs, 135 x 10 squat (swole)

Going from 5000+ kcals to 2000 kcals will probably not be the best thing for performance. Lots of experienced diet coaches recommend making just large enough changes to see the results you desire (i.e. cutting back 500 kcals of food, or increasing activity, instead of dropping 3000 kcals). Extreme/crash diets are not the best fit for athletes.

[quote]red04 wrote:

[quote]swhole milk wrote:
I’ve only been lifting for a little over a year and I never lifted in high-school so I’m pleased with my strength. But yeah as is commonly suggested, if ya got the skills and the speed football is a breeze, if ya got speed but no skills there’s a track that goes around the field.

lol 4.7 @ 240 but couldnt squat 135x10? What position? If you were fastest in the 200yd shuttle at your size I assume you were a lineman? Is the 200yd shuttle a common combine/tryout event?

So… on the main topic, does anyone have any advice or links for cutting 20lbs fast? I feel like it shouldn’t be that difficult given my starting point. [/quote]

Assuming he meant 20yd shuttle, just putting that out there.

Did you not hit up a school in time for spring ball? Just curious why you seem to not know much about what the coaches are expecting of you(or have need for) going into a summer tryout.

Cutting 20lbs should happen almost effortlessly as you build your work capacity to the needs of a college athlete, combined with just a little dieting. Unless you are getting newbie gains still because as you said, you’re fairly new to lifting, in which case don’t be so focused on the scale. You want to go into your tryout conditioned and fast, and conditioned(for emphasis). I haven’t read the new Wendler article but I bet it’s amazing, because Jim knows his shit.
[/quote]

soem of this was what iw as implying. No one can pick a magic calorie nbumber without way more detail of your lifestyle, workout habits, how you handle previous measured calorie amounts. At some point youre going to have to realize this is your body, you need to make it work. Wanna lose weight? Start reading on proper nutrition, track your calories and measure progress, adjust as neccessary. Dont wanna do it yourself? hire a fucking coach or nutritionist. Idk maybe its just me but the fact that youre asking such general shit about how to lose 20lbs fast rather than taking the time to come up with a plan and then ask for critique tells me you dont have the drive to lose the weight to begin with. Prove me wrong, dont really care either way. thats all/

rampantbadger - THANK YOU. Actually a resource! lol

deat - good numbers for a DE, too bad you got injured/chose not to play

bignate - just lol

Anyways, I got some helpful information on a different website. Had my final huge meal last night, a whole bbq/buffalo chicken pizza with meatball. Gonna miss eating like that. Also had a couple 20’s video recorded yesterday, really pleased to see some areas to work on. Improved to 2.7, and that was after a sprinting workout. Good times, right on track for 4.5.

It surprises me how concerned you guys are about big calorie jumps. A lot of diesel wrestlers and track athletes I have known do this shit regularly. Before anyone says well why don’t you ask them, because that was in high-school lol. But, like a few of you suggested, I guess I’ll just keep on doing my thing and watch the results. Considering the great success I had bulking and gaining strength I’m not too concerned.

If anyone is curious about this vision quest (lol) I might try to update my log on here if I can figure it out.