T Nation

Foot Pain When Squatting, New Shoes?

I get this foot pain whenever I squat. Its on the top of my foot toward the inner part right above the bone that sticks out a bit and seems to be tendons from what I can tell, and from what my chiro thinks. I have super flat feet and bow legged. I broke my arch in that foot 5 years ago skateboarding, and continued to skateboard for 4 more years, which means constant rolled ankles. I was put in a boot when I broke it.

I squat wide but my thought process was that squatting wide and point my feet out wide since my ankles naturally bend in. My thought process was that squatting wide started putting pressure on the top inner part of my foot so I've been seeing if narrowing my stance and stacking my body on top of my feet will help take away the pain.

My question is, would getting good athletic shoes with a good arch support take away the pain on the foot by leveling out the foot and putting more of the pressure on the outer part of the foot?

[quote]JacksonC25 wrote:
I get this foot pain whenever I squat. Its on the top of my foot toward the inner part right above the bone that sticks out a bit and seems to be tendons from what I can tell, and from what my chiro thinks. I have super flat feet and bow legged. I broke my arch in that foot 5 years ago skateboarding, and continued to skateboard for 4 more years, which means constant rolled ankles. I was put in a boot when I broke it.

I squat wide but my thought process was that squatting wide and point my feet out wide since my ankles naturally bend in. My thought process was that squatting wide started putting pressure on the top inner part of my foot so I’ve been seeing if narrowing my stance and stacking my body on top of my feet will help take away the pain.

My question is, would getting good athletic shoes with a good arch support take away the pain on the foot by leveling out the foot and putting more of the pressure on the outer part of the foot?[/quote]

No.

First of all, you said you have flat feet. Why would you need good arch support if you don’t have an arch? Aside from that though, you want shoes with a flat sole for squats, not ‘athletic shoes’. Converse Chuck Taylors, or shoes made for weightlifting are best.

How much weight are you squatting?

I don’t necessarily believe bringing in your stance will improve the foot pain situation. I get the same pain, and I squat with a relatively narrow stance. Right about shoulder width. It’s worth trying though.

I tend to think the pain comes from a weight shift forward in the squat. If you’re able to maintain your balance on the midfoot, or towards the heel, the pain shouldn’t really occur. I have a tendency to push off my toes a bit sometimes, and I think that results in foot pain.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JacksonC25 wrote:

I squat wide but my thought process was that squatting wide and point my feet out wide since my ankles naturally bend in. My thought process was that squatting wide started putting pressure on the top inner part of my foot so I’ve been seeing if narrowing my stance and stacking my body on top of my feet will help take away the pain.

My question is, would getting good athletic shoes with a good arch support take away the pain on the foot by leveling out the foot and putting more of the pressure on the outer part of the foot?[/quote]

No.

First of all, you said you have flat feet. Why would you need good arch support if you don’t have an arch? Aside from that though, you want shoes with a flat sole for squats, not ‘athletic shoes’. Converse Chuck Taylors, or shoes made for weightlifting are best.

How much weight are you squatting?

I don’t necessarily believe bringing in your stance will improve the foot pain situation. I get the same pain, and I squat with a relatively narrow stance. Right about shoulder width. It’s worth trying though.

I tend to think the pain comes from a weight shift forward in the squat. If you’re able to maintain your balance on the midfoot, or towards the heel, the pain shouldn’t really occur. I have a tendency to push off my toes a bit sometimes, and I think that results in foot pain.[/quote]
Well then wood getting insoles with say chuck taylors be a good idea? Something that helps provide an arch. I was given special ones when I broke my arch but they were solid plastic and caused a lot of pain.

I dont squat much at all and thats the biggest issue is I’m only around the 315 area but have to stick around 275, but even without weight there is a bit of pain squatting.

I think thats the issue is that since im so flat footed that I somtimes have to forcibly push on the outer part of my foot just to make it so they don’t cave in. My knees are actually fine they go out and not past my knees or anything, I sit down with weight perfectly fine but it just causes pain.

I ended up squatting today, I used a more sturdy ankle brace which helped take pain off the top of my foot but was still getting some pain on the side by the bone. Afterwards I went to a sporting goods to check out some better flat footed shoes for squatting in, but mainly tried on some stiff insoles with a lot bigger of an arch. I’m guessing that the combination of good flat shoes with a good insole, and maybe even the brace will help take away most of the pain at least. I could tell that my ankle was hindering my strength since I was constantly trying to put my pressure on the outer and center part of my foot and not allowing it to pronate inward.

Anybody have any other suggestions? This has really been hindering any sort of progress in my squat