T Nation

Foot angles on wide sumo deads

Firstly I should know these things, but every now and then I wonder if there is another, maybe better way,

I am discussing a wide sumo, not shoulder width or medium like Inzer and Cohen, but wide. What are the current thoughts on the angle of the feet and why.

I always played around with toes flaring out. Have heard of and seen guys with toes more straight ahead.

Which is supposed to be better and why.

and please don’t say try them both, I don’t think I have that many years left in this to continue to taste test them all, was fun when young, but not now

thanks

Personally I would find it very odd if the toes were not flared out significantly with wide sumo, 45 degrees out or more. The femur should be in line with the second and third toe.

Whatever angle is needed so your knee path tracks your feet angle is what I go for.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Personally I would find it very odd if the toes were not flared out significantly with wide sumo, 45 degrees out or more. The femur should be in line with the second and third toe.[/quote]

i go feet virtually straight forward, you can create more torque that way (provided you have the ankle mobility)

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

Personally I would find it very odd if the toes were not flared out significantly with wide sumo, 45 degrees out or more. The femur should be in line with the second and third toe.[/quote]

i go feet virtually straight forward, you can create more torque that way (provided you have the ankle mobility)[/quote]

I do it Tim’s way, but have been seeing this on videos and reading this, maybe not straight ahead but straighter than the old 45 degs,

without sounding like some lecturer in the Science dept, do you know what the different muscle emphasis is.

and thanks to everyone who contributes

[quote]Terry Gibbs wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

i go feet virtually straight forward, you can create more torque that way (provided you have the ankle mobility)[/quote]

I do it Tim’s way, but have been seeing this on videos and reading this, maybe not straight ahead but straighter than the old 45 degs,

without sounding like some lecturer in the Science dept, do you know what the different muscle emphasis is.

and thanks to everyone who contributes[/quote]

the muscles used are the same but with the feet more straight forward you have more “leverage” to wind up the hip capsule and thus have a stronger base to fire your glutes off.

thanks, did some this morning and they felt easier, my mind was telling me they should be harder, they looked more awkward (yes a gym with mirrors) but just felt easier, also could move my feet wider than ever and yet still felt comfortable there.

thanks guys