T Nation

Foods That Aid in Protein Digestion

After talking to someone for a brief time in the GNC and being pushed to buy papaya extract because it aids in protein digestion (although I didn’t) I took an interest in that and tried to look up some other foods that might help. I did a search but could only find that those shitty sprouts did the same.

I was told that pineapple and papaya do the job, but couldn’t really find any information without directly looking up those two fruit. Is there anyone that could be more useful in my search for foods that help to digest proteins??

Look up enzymes that aid in digestion and then do a cross search for what foods have those enzymes present.

IMO unless you have an obvious digestion problem, dont waste your time.

I should add that fruits and veggies are good for digestion. Supplemental fiber is good too.

Fiber, preferably the insoluble kind found in fruits and veggies. All forms of fiber make digested food move easier through the small intestine and the colon. Also, make sure to stay hydrated, as there is a lot of water that gets pulled into your stomach and the small intestine.

Fiber.

And apple cider vinegar 1-2 tablespoons with your meal and that does the trick for practically anything. ACV is severly underated as a food.

Bromelain. Its a digestive enzyme.

[quote]Blashy wrote:
Fiber.

And apple cider vinegar 1-2 tablespoons with your meal and that does the trick for practically anything. ACV is severly underated as a food.[/quote]

Agreed. A supplement to take would be HCL but if we are talking about foods, I would add that the Chinese vegetable Bitter Melon (Ku gua) is excellent for digestion. It is bitter as hell, though. You can get it at Chinese produce markets, if you live in a place with a large Chinese population.

Another bitter one (bitter tends to be good for digestion) is to make a salad out of chicory. A lot of times you don’t find regular, old green chicory in the stores anymore. What they do have is radicchio (which is wrongly named, since in Italian they call this "cicoria rossa- red chicory). It’s not quite as bitter as its green cousin.

Getting on an a high quality probiotic or regularly eating kefir on the regular will do wonders for your GI health and overall ability to absorb nutrients optimally.

These enzymes can help with muscle soreness and possibly even recovery, but we don’t know enough about the cellular processes of the latter to say for sure.

That GNC guy was right papya will work, pinapple is a source of bromelain, and also helps with protein digestion.

Since digestion works in two ways chemical break down and mechanical. Taking a enzyme will help to fully digest foods. They will prevent gas and bloating, and helps with bruising, and recuperation

[quote]David Barr wrote:
These enzymes can help with muscle soreness and possibly even recovery, but we don’t know enough about the cellular processes of the latter to say for sure.[/quote]

Interesting, I never knew that.

Could you please explain a bit more regarding the first point?

the question wasn’t so much referring to digestion problems as much as it was just trying to get the most out of my protein consumption via my post workout shake. from what i understood ingesting enzymes of that nature along with a protein shake will make the whole process more efficient…

that process being the absorption of protein by the body and whatnot. I’m pretty sure I understand the nature of the logics behind it but I just don’t totally know many foods that help with that and papaya is expensive as balls so alternative foods would be cool to know as well as more detail on how the chemistry really goes down.

thanks for all the insight so far

[quote]rsg wrote:
David Barr wrote:
These enzymes can help with muscle soreness and possibly even recovery
[/quote]

I use pure black cheery juice & Turmeric Root for recovery, works well.

[quote]rsg wrote:

Could you please explain a bit more regarding the first point?[/quote]

There are emerging data to suggest that actually consuming proteases can actually mitigate exercise-induced muscle damage. To be honest I’m still surprised that they make it through the gut, but there will be a talk about this at ISSN which should shed some light on the topic.

Beck TW, et. al., Effects of a protease supplement on eccentric exercise-induced markers of delayed-onset muscle soreness and muscle damage. J Strength Cond Res. 2007 Aug;21(3):661-7.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
rsg wrote:

Could you please explain a bit more regarding the first point?

There are emerging data to suggest that actually consuming proteases can actually mitigate exercise-induced muscle damage. To be honest I’m still surprised that they make it through the gut, but there will be a talk about this at ISSN which should shed some light on the topic.

Beck TW, et. al., Effects of a protease supplement on eccentric exercise-induced markers of delayed-onset muscle soreness and muscle damage. J Strength Cond Res. 2007 Aug;21(3):661-7.

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply, Mr Barr.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
These enzymes can help with muscle soreness and possibly even recovery, but we don’t know enough about the cellular processes of the latter to say for sure.[/quote]

I believe this is a practice that has been used by Eastern Block athletes for quite some time.

Make traditional lacto-fermented-that is, with fresh whey-(or just plain and fresh nonfermented)chutneys out of the tropical fruits, like papaya and pineapple and add some to your meat dishes. Trader Joe’s and places like that have some good ones that don’t have too many additives in there-although they might be pasteurized, which would defeat the purpose… Tastiest way to get those enzymes IMO.