T Nation

Foods/Supps to Keep Insulin Low?

I was wondering if there are any supplemts or certain foods that can keep Insulin levels low. I know greens have no real impact but is there anyway one could eat rice and keep the levels fro rising?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
I was wondering if there are any supplemts or certain foods that can keep Insulin levels low. I know greens have no real impact but is there anyway one could eat rice and keep the levels fro rising?[/quote]

Have you tried stabbing yourself in the pancreas?

Nah, that would be a really bad idea, huh?

Another example of how T-Nationers look out for each other by sharing from their vast knowledge and experience -lol

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Another example of how T-Nationers look out for each other by sharing from their vast knowledge and experience -lol

S
[/quote]

Fine, I’ll be nice.

Eat a large amount of fiber with the meal.
Organic acids also seem to help, so vinegar is your friend.

I can’t guarantee this is as effective at stopping the insulin response as a good pancreas-stabbing, but it should be better than nothing.

mix rice with fat and fiber… also cinnamon keeps insulin low

Chromium rich foods help with insulin sensitivity as well, apparently, so brocolli, raw onions, or tomatoes.

EDIT : I’ve looked more, and this only seems a factor for people with diabetes, not healthy people. So, to answer your question - no.

[quote]Serd wrote:
mix rice with fat…[/quote]

probably not a great idea.

4-hydroxyisoleucine, an extract from fenugreek, may be something you want to research.

I too have read a bunch on cinnamon helping to keep insulin levels low, but my fist instinct would be to avoid sugary foods. If the majority of your carb sources are fibrous, or complex, there shouldn’t be any real dramatic spikes.

S

… yea, you can eat BROWN rice. If you’re asking if there is anyway to reduce your insulin sensitivity while still eating high glycemic foods, the answer is not really. Like everyone has kind of already said, eat low glycemic foods, fiber helps a little and so does chromium.

[quote]Serd wrote:
mix rice with fat and fiber… also cinnamon keeps insulin low[/quote]

Fat may slow physical digestion, but it doesn’t necessarily lower the insulin response.

People get pretty confused by this.

Fenugreek, R-ALA.

Insulin mimickers. Improve insulin sensitivity. Also ‘dump’ glycogen from your body.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Fat may slow physical digestion, but it doesn’t necessarily lower the insulin response.
People get pretty confused by this.[/quote]

I must be confused - insulin is a response to glucose in the bloodstream. If you slow digestion, you lower the concentration of glucose in the blood. If you lower the concentration of glucose in the blood, you lower the insulin response. What am I missing?

Thanks guys this is great info. Now is it necessary to use all the supplemenys mentioned? Obviously cinnamon is a spice and I use it daily, but should I just use fenugreek?, or take the chromium aswell. fenugreek sounds great I never heard of it.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
I was wondering if there are any supplemts or certain foods that can keep Insulin levels low. [/quote]

Fish oil.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to deal with insulin resistance? Are you trying to blunt the effects of a single meal?

To deal with insulin resistance you’ll need to take the supplements for an extended period, that is, weeks. The one thing even better than the supplements for insulin resistance is intensive exercise, but again that takes a while.

If you’re trying to blunt the effects of a single meal, your best bet is probably to add fiber to the meal. My endocrinologist suggested that every gram of fiber over 5 grams blunts the effect of 1 gram of carbs. Note that you need 5 grams minimum of soluble fiber before it has any effect.

If you just want to eat rice, I recommend using slow cooking rice or a wild rice mix. Cooking rice is so simple I don’t see why anybody would really need the high insulin stimulating quick rice, but that’s just me.

Another technique is to eat slowly, or get some fiber in your stomach a few minutes before eating the real meal. This will trigger the hormones in your small intestine that reduce the pace of digestion before you dump a lot of carbs into the mix.

Flax meal.

[quote]atypicaluser wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
People get pretty confused by this.

I must be confused - insulin is a response to glucose in the bloodstream. If you slow digestion, you lower the concentration of glucose in the blood. If you lower the concentration of glucose in the blood, you lower the insulin response. What am I missing?

[/quote]

It’s not that linear of a relationship when it comes to fat and insulin. The spikes still occur when, just not right away. Plus some fats cause insulin spikes by themselves.

Now adding in fiber does reduce the likelihood of a spike, but adding a scoop of benefiber to your hot fudge sundae isn’t going to do a damn thing.

Thanks.

Now that I’ve read up on it - HK is exactly right.

A shot of apple cider vinegar before carb meals.