Foods For Bulking?

I know this question has probably been asked many times already… I’m currently bulking… going quite well… however i think i’m eating a lot of fatty foods and while im gaining weight im also getting too much of a stomach!

Don’t get me wrong I have no problem with losing a six pack or anything…(Main AIM is to bulk doesn’t matter about fat)… I jus wanted to know what kind of foods I should be snacking on throughout the day (I often hear swiss cheese mentioned I think)…?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Sandeep.

Ok, I can’t comment on the meat being vegetarian, but here are some staples:
Potatoes, Oatmeal (not instant), protein powder, Almonds, Nuts, FLAX SEEDS, Vegetables, Fruit, Eggs.

Other things: Splenda’s great if you’re following massive eating principles. Green leafy vegetables are always good.
As for the meats I can’t comment on a ton: I’d eat a lot of tuna, salmon, chicken breast, turkey, and occasional red meat.
See Massive Eating 1 and 2 and Massive Eating Reloaded 1 and 2.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

Yep, Massive Eating II reloaded is an awesome article. I’d reccomend 3 tbs of flax oil a day as well. Easy way to gain large amounts of calories while also getting good fatty acids. I don’t reccomend taking fish oil, just take the capsules, because its very hard to stomach.

Sweet potatoes i’d reccomend over regular potatoes. If you get sick of chicken, try turkey sausage. I also make a 3x meat chili, with ground turkey, ground chicken, and lean ground beef. Use kidney beans.

Don’t know how far you want to go up in calories, but i always eat at least a can of tuna over a bed of spinach, and then slather it in carb free fat dressing. That meal is the one i have 3 tbs of flax oil with. MMM good.

I’m a fan of getting more than usual of quality protein and avoiding eating junk while upping the colries. That means white flour, white sugar, white rice, milk, bread, cereals and potatoes are out. And meat, eggs, fish, oatmeal(only rolled oats), vegetables, protein powders, natural peanut butter, flax seed oil, raw butter and cheese, fruits and grains are in.

There’s also the T-article “Foods That Make you look good Nekkid” so do a search and check it out.

The whole point of bulking is to gain as to gain as much mass and as little fat as possible. Now you will have to make fat a big part of your bulking diet. But if it comes from the sources above, it’s all good. Also avoid deep-fried crap or margarine and use cold-pressed virgin olive oil or raw butter for cooking.

I personally find that eating potatoes,preferably organic, following an intense workout does wonders for packing on mostly fat-free mass. It really helps to maximize the glycogen in your muscles giving you a more pumped look. However, when I consume potatoes at any other time of the day, they seem to be more fat-inducing than anything else so I generally reserve them exclsuively for my post workout meal.

Defintitely steer clear of pasta though, whole wheat or not its all garbage and one of the most difficult “foods” for you to digest.

Remember that one of the downsides to bulking diets is that the excess of food you’ll be eating places an enormous strain on your pancreas and other digestive organs to marshall the needed enzymes to digest and assimilate all the nutrents. That’s why you’re better off relying on fruits and vegetables over grains to supply you with your carbs. Theyre generally a lot easier to digest and provide a lot more nutrients and phytochemicals which are absent from grains.

Definitely stick with butter, preferably raw but if not at least organic–Trader Joe’s organic sweet cream butter is the best tasting commercially available type I’ve had. The advantage of the raw variety is that if the cows have been grass-fed, the stuff is loaded with CLA.
Avoid margarine like the plague, regardless of whether its non hydrogenated devoid of trans fats or not, it is closer to industrial waste than food.
Other excellent fats-unfiltered olive oil, coconut milk and oil and avocadoes.

Check out the “Bulking Tips for Newbies” thread. Do a search.

RIT Jared

[quote]w2097 wrote:
I’m a fan of getting more than usual of quality protein and avoiding eating junk while upping the colries. That means white flour, white sugar, white rice, milk, bread, cereals and potatoes are out. And meat, eggs, fish, oatmeal(only rolled oats), vegetables, protein powders, natural peanut butter, flax seed oil, raw butter and cheese, fruits and grains are in.

[/quote]

I don’t consider whole wheat bread, red potatoes, some whole grain cereals and milk junk food. These are great bulking foods. Milk can be the controversial one but is a convenient source of calories especially while on the road.

This is a bit of a newbie question, but what is wrong with (fat-free) milk?

[quote]km02 wrote:
This is a bit of a newbie question, but what is wrong with (fat-free) milk?[/quote]

sugar in the form of carbs. Drink Hood’s Fat Free Dairy Drink instead

Km02,

while the carbs (lactose) in milk have a low GI (glycemic index), they have a high II (insulin index). So, milk causes a rather large surge in insulin–which can lead to fat gain.

Crowbar

[quote]wise11 wrote:

Remember that one of the downsides to bulking diets is that the excess of food you’ll be eating places an enormous strain on your pancreas and other digestive organs to marshall the needed enzymes to digest and assimilate all the nutrents. [/quote]

Just wondering if anyone has tried enzyme supplements? like papin (from papayas), protease, stuff like that.

could the enzymes survive the HCL in you stomach? i believe that they are very sensitive to ph.

my experience has been that the supplements make me feel less full and bloated, and ready to eat again… but it could be my imagination.

[quote]crowbar524 wrote:
Km02,

while the carbs (lactose) in milk have a low GI (glycemic index), they have a high II (insulin index). So, milk causes a rather large surge in insulin–which can lead to fat gain.

Crowbar[/quote]

some people like this after a workout…so post workout milk might be beneficial…

I’ll occasionally use papaya enzyme tablets, bromelain capsules and a multi-enzyme from Source Naturals, but only when consuming a substantial meal.
Consuming fruits like papaya,pineapple,avocado,bananas,kiwis and most other tropical fruits is beneficial because they contain a wealth of naturally occuring enzymes.
I consume large quantities of raw milk,butter,heavy cream and other unpasteurized dairy products which have naturally occuring enzymes present that help break down the milk sugars, fats and proteins, so using any digestive aids with these is entirely unnecessary. Generally, I believe that eating whole, raw unprocessed foods is all the more critical for bulking phases to avoid overburdening and overtaxing your body’s enzymes and digestive system.
If you are to eat bread, I find that eating sprouted bread, that is bread that has been made not from flour, but from the sprouted berries of wheat, rye, spelt or whatever grain it is made from is better digested and more nutritious because the sprouting process neutralize enzyme inhibitors naturally occuring in all grains. A good brand is Alvarado breads: http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com

I’ve also heard that spreading raw honey on bread, oatmeal and other grains and letting it sit for 15 minutes helps break down the starches as raw honey is rich in amylases.
Check out: http://www.reallyrawhoney.com

Thanks for all the responses guys! The vegetarian post by Proteinpowda esp useful because I’m vegetarian @ home (family is veg) but I do eat out a lot so it’s ok i s’pose. Regarding the wise11 post, can anyone give me a basic explanation of this enzyme business he talks about?

Cheers,

San.

Regarding your questions on enzymes in proper digestion and health:

http://www.westonaprice.org/nutrition_greats/howell.html