T Nation

Food Temptations Avoided

I’ve been eating clean since the day after thanksgiving – based mostly on Christian Thib’s ideas. 1.25 g of protein per pound body weight, low carbs, lots of green vegetables, target calories are a function of my estimated daily expenditure, etc.

I have to admit this is a bad time of year to try this. I thought I’d share some of the food temptations I’ve experienced since starting this.

1. I attend a weekly meeting at night – where food is provided. This week the menu was: 1) fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, scalloped corn, buns, and a huge assorted box of various cookies for desert. The smell of the fried chicken was particularly enticing.

I had brought a salad with steak, chicken, and beans not knowing what the food choices would be – temptation avoided.

1. Office holiday party – potluck. Every assortment of cheesy potatoes, meatballs, cheese dips, cream dips, potatoe chips, creamy wraps, cheese trays, crackers, lasagna, etc. was available. And the dessert room was unbelievable – cakes, pies, cookies, chocolates, fudge, etc. Worse, I actually had to chip in money to pay for some catered ham and turkey.

Again – anticipating problems, I brought a salad, chicken, steak, and beans – and vowed to eat nothing else. I got some funny looks – and a few people asked me what I was eating when I didn’t have the requisite paper plate piled high with less than exemplary food. Temptation avoided. And it turned out to be less of an ordeal than I expected.

1. A business associate shipped my group a 9 pound Hershey’s chocolate bar for appreciation of a job well done. 9 pounds of chocolate is more than 20,000,000 calories. It is so thick, so large, that have to beat on it with a hammer and knife to break off a piece just to eat some. Fortunately I’ve stayed clear of that so far. Temptation avoided.

Looking forward – I know X-mas in particular will be a challenge. My family has a tradition of peach-smoothies (heavy on the rum) on x-mas eve – followed by some serious eating – fatty, carb-laden snacks. I’m planning to stay away from that this year – and I’m going to pass on the booze. My plan is to drink coffee instead. I like to think that having a plan and alternatives ahead of time “saves” me from having to make bad choices. That’s all for now.

My Xmas plan:

Workout: REST DAY

Meal Plan:

Dozen beers - ~1500 Calories
Meat - ~2000 Calories
Lots of Sweet stuff - ~3000 Calories
More Meat (its Ginger Ham - AWESOME!) - ~2000 Calories
Some veges - 50 Calories!
Half-dozen Rum&Cokes - 1200 Calories

Total - 9750 Calories.

Boxing Day - Repeat.

[quote]Spry wrote:

Half-dozen Rum&Cokes - 1200 Calories

[/quote]

you sound cooler in any situation when you call them by their proper name when ordering them: “cuba libre”. Future reference.

my contribution: christmas day: rest. Meals: 08 - 02 of which are family christmas meals (two different families). Gold.

Boxing day: legs.

No wonder everyone I know is a fat ass.

They are called Rum & Cokes.

I have never heard of cuba libre. What does that mean? Liberate Cuba?

and guess who the one person you know better than anyone else is.

[quote]Spry wrote:
They are called Rum & Cokes.

I have never heard of cuba libre. What does that mean? Liberate Cuba?[/quote]

Technically, you would need lime for it to be a proper Cuba Libre.

But enough squabbling. Kudos to the OP!

i eat clean most of the time too.

what makes me different from everyone around me is not what i eat but the mental state im in while im eating it.

my friends:

treat themselves on whims, whine and moan about the guilt, say that they dont really want the food because they know they shouldnt, but then still eat it.

me:
6 days of perfect eating. saturday, 1 extra large pizza followed by cake and ice cream. not one single ounce of guilt. the food is sooo much beeter when you know you deserve it and that it wont impact you in that ratio.

i really really enjoy my food because the clean meals make me feel alive and better than those around me, and the cheat meals dont cause me to stress out with every bite.

I’ve gotten to the point where I simply never eat the junk that people around me are. At this time of year, it’s especially noticeable. I can honestly state that I feel no real temptation anymore. I’m a little appalled at the way people will ridicule me or assume I’m “anorexic” because I’m eating six times a day instead of eating shortbread cookies for lunch.

Props to the OP. I used to cheat on the weekends but always felt like crap after binging on crap food so I tend to eat clean most of the time so I don’t sweat it too much when something like this comes up. I just make good choices about what I do have.
EX:
Yesterday was employee lunch day at work here’s what I logged:

11am
broccoli salad:egg, dried cranberries, bacon
vegetarian lasagna
3x small ham slice
very small roast beef
buttery green beans
1pm
buttery green beans
2pm
2x small ham slice
Broccoli
2:45
1xlarge ham slice
3:05
1/2 vegetarian lasagna
4:05pm
1/2 vegetarian lasagna
6pm
oatmeal Scotchie cookie
1/2 scoop shake
1/2 scoop Surge
Workout:
1/2 scoop shake
1/2 scoop Surge
8pm
2 scoops Surge
8:15pm
Carrot cake
9pm
chicken
cheese

Did I eat anywhere near my daily plans? Nope. Did I sweat it? Nope. But I did try and time things as best as I could to minimize the impact of eating bad food. Although I would have still had the carrot cake if it wasn’t a lifting day. It was tasty!

PeterD

I am looking forward to some Ginger Ham!!!

Glacie Ginger and Honey Coated Ham!!!

Saaaawweeeeeet!

[quote]virtualetters wrote:
I’ve gotten to the point where I simply never eat the junk that people around me are. At this time of year, it’s especially noticeable. I can honestly state that I feel no real temptation anymore. I’m a little appalled at the way people will ridicule me or assume I’m “anorexic” because I’m eating six times a day instead of eating shortbread cookies for lunch. [/quote]

Thank you for writing this! I totally relate. Some days when I’m in a rush I throw a bag of Steamfresh veggies into my backpack and go to class, where I’ll be on campus for several hours and don’t want to go hungry or resort to Jimmy Johns. The people eating Doritos and a Snickers for their meal give me grief about my veggies. “You are so healthy! I only ever see you eat vegetables, don’t you ever eat!?” Kinda drives me crazy… The other one: “Didn’t you just eat two hours ago?”

Yes, and now it’s time to eat again, in a healthy way that keeps my metabolism up and my hunger down so I don’t binge or need a Snickers like you…