Food Shortages are Coming But…

I think that is pretty spot on.

That was their issue. They fired up their base and the Dem base. If they don’t lose support with a moderate, then they should do well IMO. I do think a moderate loses some base support though, just how much is the question? I can’t quantify that.

As am I. I can’t think of anything he’s done that jumps out at me as a major point of disagreement.

He’s got all of Trump’s backbone without the baggage, nails good policy and has a great command of spoken English. He’s also quite deft at the gaming aspects of politics.

1 Like

I’ll have time for a more thorough response later when I can pull some sources, but I essentially disagree with your premise entirely. I think he does a lot of things to marginalize minority groups, under the guise of ‘this is good for everyone’.

1 Like

I do agree with this in general, and I think that if he IS the Republican candidate, he has a pretty good shot at winning. I don’t think he’s the safest choice, but I’d still put money on him over Kamala. I just don’t personally like a lot of what he’s done, but everything you said here is pretty accurate.

1 Like

No it wouldn’t too many politics are involved. There is a simple move towards a solution, enforce the laws as they are now and then see where we are. Instead the biden admin are illegally trafficking people across the country in the dead of night. They aren’t even beginning to think about trying, because they want the immigration. They are trying to shore up their voting base and the country has 2 million more people in it now than it had in 2020. I believe that is a conservative estimate, by any measure.

He would gain capitol from conservatives and many independants, but he would roasted on network news as a racist, bigot, fascist, xenophobe, which is likely what he’s more afraid of.

It’s evidence to me he’s kowtowing to the left, who currently hold all the institutional power. When the power switches more to the right, watch how magically brave he will get. Abbott is a coward. He’s afraid of the media, he’s afraid of the biden admin, he’s a coward.

In what way? What in your eye’s does a so called “moderate” republican look like. Besides we have those, right now. McConnel, Romney, and their ilk are basically democrats who call themselves republicans for some unknown reason. The last thing we need is for the republicans to become more democrat light. It would be political suicide. People are sick of the wokeness, the assualt on free speech, the destruction of our economy, etc., etc. The democrats are destroying this country in record speed. We don’t need speed bumps to our evitable demise, we need leaders who will do the will of the people.
Following the media narrative and basically doing nothing to stop the insane agenda of the left.
What we need is the lying to stop. And it’s starts when people open their eyes and see those lies for what they are, a tool of the power hungry.

You really think he’s afraid of that? He never has been in the past. If he was, he wouldn’t have taken a hard line on the trans debates, nor would we have the abortion law that passed under him. I don’t think that’s on his list of concerns.

This is baffling to me. @twojarslave would you also characterize Abbott in this way? I can say pretty definitively that the ‘left’ in Texas fucking HATES Abbott, it shocks me to hear that people believe that he’s kowtowing to the left. If he is, he’s doing a terrible job at it, lol.

based on what? I would say their decades of voting history and policies they’ve supported suggest otherwise. But that being said, neither of them are going to run, so it’s not really worth discussing those two specifically.

1 Like

Hey guys, can we move this to a new thread?

1 Like

In NYC, way back in the day (maybe it’s that way again now LOL), my buddy would also leave an index card in the window stating that his car was unlocked.

Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow humans.

1 Like

With all of the obesity in the USA, maybe food shortages wouldn’t be too bad, lol

I wish that were true, but in true Murican fashion - all the unhealthy food is well stocked and inexpensive whilst chicken breast is harder to find than left-handed ginger twins.

These sons of bitches have been hard to come by. I’ve got three boys on the spectrum who fucking love them for breakfast. Life has not been pleasant as of late.

1 Like

And Arizona Diet Green Tea. I can go weeks without finding that nectar of the gods.

Is this true, though? I only ever see shortages in the packaged foot section. Fresh meat, produce, eggs, dairy products always seem to be stocked.

Shortages around me have mostly been raw meats, except for steaks which are now 50% more expensive than during orange man years.

It seems shortages are different depending where you are

gross.

1 Like

I’ve found myself buying more expensive cuts of meat since the cheap meat has gotten more expensive and thus is not such a discount from the more expensive cuts which haven’t gone up as much. Grass fed beef, for instance, seems to cost about as much as it did before. But regular beef is more expensive than it was. Grass fed chuck is like an extra dollar a pound instead of an extra 3 dollars a pound. Grass fed roast is still $7/lb, while the cornfed is getting close to that price as well.

Chicken breasts are still really cheap, though. I’m actually suspicious as to why a value pack of chicken breasts is still $1.99/lb. Are they just adding more saline?

2 Likes

Yup… He’s not alone. The ridiculous activism we see today is impart due to fear from people in power to stand up for what is right. Or just do the right thing.

It’s baffling to me that you don’t see it. He’s not worried about the left in Texas, he’s worried about being on the network news, 24/7 being called all kinds of names and having false narratives spread about him.
Contrast him with DeSantis in FL. They introduced the most tepid bill to protect kids in school of predatory grooming practices, as many teachers have done of late. Tik Tok is apparently full of these nimrods. And they labeled it the ‘Don’t say gay bill’, which it isn’t and never was and really doesn’t go far enough but at least it’s something. And that’s just a little bill that really doesn’t do all that much, which has been on the network news cycle as anti-(insert leftist whacko bullshit here). That doesn’t even come close to mobilizing a military unit in anyway to prevent invaders, those who have no legal right to be in Texas, would be covered. Abbot is bluster but no action. He has no balls because he knows he would be pilloried relentlessly and smeared with lies and insults and calls for his death. That comes with the territory of being a strong leader and he ain’t got it. He’s a tepid milk-toast guy. The proof is that he threatened it but never did it.

I would say you should look closer, they have many times aligned with democrats on bills that are contrary to the interest of anybody who is from the center to the right many times.
They are part of what we call the ‘uniparty’ those in washington who always block together to push things that give themselves power and money, like the calls for the US to join the Ukraine war effort. We get to die and suffer while they line their pockets.

It seems you have not followed what’s going on in the country or wider world very much. That’s okay, but most of what I just laid out is pretty common knowledge among any demographic who is paying attention to current events in any detail.

I would hope so. Every politician should have the ability to make compromises. One of our biggest problems right now is the refusal of congressmen to budge on ANYTHING. crossing party lines for specific bills absolutely shouldn’t be considered a problem. Nothing gets done without that.

I would also say that for every bill they’ve supported that crosses party lines, you can find 30 bills that they supported from their own party. The exceptions shouldn’t define them.

that’s silly, and unnecessary. Suggesting that I’m just ‘not paying attention’ is just a way to brush off opinions you disagree with, and it kills the integrity of an otherwised civilized, intelligent discussion. I’m not stupid, and I’m definitely paying attention. My minor at SMU in undergrad was Political Science. I’m far from uninformed. We don’t have to take shots at each other on a personal level. Let’s avoid that, please. The things you’re saying are ‘common knowledge’ are definitely not that. I would bet that most people in this thread, and in the world for that matter, would disagree with your claim that Mitch McConnell, of all people, is ‘basically a democrat’. I find that to be, at the very least, extreme hyperbole.

3 Likes

I disagree. Not that crossing party lines is inherently bad, because it isn’t, but neither is refusing to compromise. I also believe that getting nothing done at all is probably a better outcome in most cases than passing modern legislative priorities.

What’s the compromise with defunding the police? What’s the compromise with Voter ID? What’s the compromise with a dude winning the NCAA women’s swimming championship? What’s the compromise on vaccine mandates? What’s the compromise with CRT and gender/sexual theory indoctrination of children in public schools? What’s the compromise with media censorship?

Sometimes there are issues that you have to line up on, and I think we’ve got more than a few of those right now that are rather important to NOT compromise on. Unfortunately you have major media companies like Facebook and twitter who actively work to stifle productive and healthy conversation around those controversial subjects, which only serves to further entrench people.

Hopefully food shortages doesn’t become a serious issue here or anywhere, because when people have to pick a side on going hungry or not, things get ugly really fast.

1 Like

it depends on the bill. Obviously every politician will also have lines they won’t cross. The majority of the time this is the case. My point is that cherry picking bills over multiple decades of a politician’s career, specifically McConnell’s, to demonstrate this notion that he’s a RINO is pretty ridiculous.

As far as I’m aware, McConnell is not involved in any compromises involving those issues.

If I came across as saying all politicians should compromise on everything, then that is my mistake. It is not what I intended to convey.