Food Quirks?

Hate runny eggs. Can’t eat em.

I love the taste of cottage cheese but after 5-6 bites I always start to think about it being spoiled milk and have to stop or puke.
Pisses my wife off but if the milk is within a day of being expired, stinky or not it’s out, if you’ve ever take a swig of lumpy milk at 3am before you’re probably the same way. For that matter anything on or near it’s expiration date is trash.
I won’t eat a tomato but I like almost anything made with a tomato, sauce, ketsup even stewed tomatoes.

I hate fish, but love sushi.

Liv92: no quirks for you?

DOH and debraD sitting in a tree… :slight_smile:

JaX: yes, I meant cilantro :wink:

trav, artw said never mind so I did

sylarmst: I’ll eat all those peppers for you! Have you ever tried blended in a shake? I’ve heard it but never tried it.

MaximusB: I like the end pieces too and am a bit odd too

canaduke: I can’t eat the whites runny but sure like the yolk soft

dday: I hear you about the sour milk! did that once when I was 12 and still do the sniff test to this day

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Oh I hate IHOP. Everything about it. EVERYTHING…down to the overweight gay Hispanic waiter. [/quote]

That’s not a quirk because IHOP sucks.

I put sriracha sauce and/or fresh pressed garlic on everything

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
debraD wrote:
Eggs must come out of the carton such that it is always balanced, most of the weight is on the outside and the centroid is in the middle, or if there is an uneven number of eggs (which is to be avoided, because it’s just not right) it has to balance as close to the centre as possible.

The next bread slice has to come from an even number of slices in so that there are matching pairs of slices leading up to the missing pieces.

Waffles must have butter in every square (that’s not really a quirk, that’s just good sense)

My obsession with odd/even or needing number patterns or balanced distribution(by weight, colour or pattern) in my meals (ie one egg, two bacon, 3 sausages, 4 pieces of toast) drove my mom crazy growing up. She had to convince me that peas were not whole units and I had to count them by tens because 4 peas was not acceptable for vegetables with dinner.

Before eating Smarties, they must be sorted and arranged like a bar graph in ascending order.

I don’t do this quite as much anymore.

I’m in love.

[/quote]

me too!

Jello.

I find it horrific. Especially if it’s green.

texture matters the most to me. i’ll blend a whole meal together and not mind the taste, but if the texture is off i just can’t choke it down.

when i drink my eggs, all the yolks must be whole, because if i taste even a little bit of raw egg yolk… shudder… it generally comes back up. i mean i swallow it again, but the whole experience is rather unpleasant.

i like bitter things: black coffee, bitter beer, lemons/limes, CEE, etc.

poultry are disgusting animals. every time i eat chicken i’m reminded of butchering them and the disgusting globs of awful-smelling yellow fat in the body cavity.

Grits.

A great wonderful invention when done right. It was only just recently where I had Southern style grits, to where I was willing to fight if someone would try to take them away.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:
I fucking hate cilantro. If I eat anything with a hint of cilantro, I’ll gag. I can’t stand that shit.

cilantro tastes great on EVERYTHING. seriously, i will put it in anything i am cooking or even put it raw on certain foods.

[/quote]

X2

I LOVE cilantro…will chop a ton of it and put it in guacamole, another one of my food loves. I had a cilantro plant but my cat got to it and chewed the stem and it died :frowning:

I pull the top layer of crust off my sammiches before I eat them…it’s just too dry for me. The butt ends of the loaf get fed to the birds :slight_smile:

Oh, and I put chips on my sammich, love the crunch.

I won’t drink water unless it’s super cold, with ice preferably. Luke-warm water makes me want to gag.

I always drink green tea in a glass cup…hate using a mug.

I have put chips on my sandwichs since I was little. Now I don’t have as many chips around or eat as many sandwiches. It is the crunch thing too.

Which gets me to my biggest quick… texture. I hate the crunch of a crunchy piece of iceberg lettuce. I didn’t eat salads or lettuce until I was in my 20s becasue of it.

I tolerate lettuce better now but don’t like crunchy pieces. It helps if I have croutons or something else to blame the crunch on.

Lastly and from left field… blood reminds me of how rust or metal tastes. Maybe it is the iron. I am sure I need to clarify that this is from busted lips, gums, teeth (ie blood from the mouth).

I do not suck on any kind of wounds.

[quote]Xab wrote:
sluicy wrote:
Xab wrote:
With most of my breakfasts, I’ll cook myself 3 eggs over medium. I rarely manage to get all 3 yolks unbroken by the time they’re done, and that makes me a sad panda.

Cast iron pan? Butter? Metal spatula?

A spatula? Hell no. I flip my eggs like a real man. I do, however, use a non-stick pan and I put a layer of Pam on there, so that helps a lot. I just need to get my flipping technique down.[/quote]

I’m pretty much with you on the eggs except usually all three yolks come out in tact. Here’s how I do it. When they’re ready to flip I grab the handle and kind of swirl the eggs to get a little motion going and to make sure nothins sticking. When the moment is right I make a quick little flip and there I have 3 eggs over-easy. The key is you’ve gotta feel for the perfect moment. Don’t flip 'em unless you know you’ve got it. If there is any doubt in your mind there’s going to be break. You’ve got to be completely confident.

I gotta add, it’s butter for me. No Pam.

I smell everything I eat/drink. I don’t just sniff the air I mean I put the fork/spoon/glass whatever up to my nose and take a whiff. I don’t know why. Especially when I’m at a restaurant or someone makes something for me. If I don’t prepare the food myself it’s a must. Half the time I don’t even notice it until someone looks at me funny.

I eat my food according to the macro most dominant in that food. Say I’m having fish, I’ll eat the fish first followed by the vegetable followed by whatever is left. Meat before Veges before grains/starches before milk/drink until there’s nothing left.

As much as I love “finger foods” (chicken wings, ribs, etc.) I hate the smell of the sauce on my hands and use up at least three wet naps after I’m done eating. I usually wipe my hands after each “round” of eating; I’ll eat like 3 or 4 wings and wipe my hands, wash, rinse, repeat. I hate having too much sauce on my fingers and I absolutely refuse to lick my fingers clean. I think that’s absolutely repulsive and I hate watching other people do it (this is only true when I’m eating however; I don’t mind it when a girl wants to suck on my fingers).

I tend to shun restaurant made bread. As tasty as it is, if it’s not from a professional bakery I ain’t eatin’ it. I absolutely hate butter on my toast. I hate it. Peanut butter. Cool. Dairy Butter NO thank you. I’ll eat that shit dry. I actually prefer it dry. Same with like blueberry muffins. Same with corn on the cob. I don’t want/like butter on it.

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
nikinine wrote:

JaX, do you buy or grow your own?

i assume you mean cilantro, haha. Currently growing and have been for the last 3 months or so. Grows faster then i could ever use

[/quote]

Cilantro is great shit. I have a pot of it growing on my deck. I have to keep snipping it or it goes to seed.

BG

I hate pickles but i love sweet relish.

I hate avocados but i love guacamole.

Nice to see a few of you are in the same boat. I cannot eat my eggs/potatoes/hash one at a time, I need to combine them into one massive dish.

I also take down my protein shakes by taking a deep breath and downing before my next.

Here is an old Italian folk remedy. When you get sick, boil some red wine down, and sip it before you go to sleep. You will sweat like never before, the idea being you sweat out the cold. I tried it once, it helped for sure.

I also like to put chips in my sandwiches, that shit is fucking delicious. My favorite is dorritos. I smell just about everything too, but its because most of the time I can taste the food better when I smell it then when I put it in my mouth, so sometimes I’ll just sit there taking deep whiffs of my food and then I eventually get around to eating it, if I can stop myself from smelling it. It works for other things too, like if I smell a piece of plastic, I can taste the plastic, and the other day I smelled my shampoo and it tasted like green lifesavers. And before anyone asks, yes, due to my smell-taste ability, I fucking hate it when people fart. More than most. I don’t even enjoy my own brand, because I taste shit, or what I think it tastes like.

I also hate cold beans with a passion. Even looking at cold beans fucking drives me crazy, shit gets all filmy and nasty looking. If i need to eat, and I have beans as leftovers, it’s a mental struggle to get that shit out of the fridge, heat it up, and eat it, because by the time im done putting that shit in the bowl im not even hungry anymore. And I heat the fuck out them to make sure I won’t accidently eat some nasty beans at the bottom of the bowl that didn’t get hot.