T Nation

Food Measurement Question

When people’s diets list 6-8 oz of chicken, turkey or fish, do they usually refer to the uncooked weight, or the weight after cooking it?

Uncooked for me - I don’t weigh my food after cooking that’s ridiculous.

uncooked

I’ve been doing my ground turkey cooked.

Its probably not exact, but oh well, its working and I like it.

Your probably getting a little less fat than the nutrition facts say if you weight it cooked.

I’ve been weighing it uncooked, but I’m amazed sometimes at how small a 6 oz chicken breast becomes after I grill it.

Cooking tends to remove a significant amount of water and moisture leading to a concentration of flavor and food. This tends to go with all food products cooked. So 100g of uncooked chicken breast would have a different nutritional profile than 100g cooked. Since water is removed, it would take MORE cooked product to equal 100g than uncooked product at 100g.

I tried to say it as best I could. The obvious things you need to consider is products that soak up water during the cooking process like rice and oatmeal, some vegetables (depends on the cooking process).

Goodluck

[quote]GrabAKimber wrote:
Cooking tends to remove a significant amount of water and moisture leading to a concentration of flavor and food. This tends to go with all food products cooked. So 100g of uncooked chicken breast would have a different nutritional profile than 100g cooked. Since water is removed, it would take MORE cooked product to equal 100g than uncooked product at 100g.

I tried to say it as best I could. The obvious things you need to consider is products that soak up water during the cooking process like rice and oatmeal, some vegetables (depends on the cooking process).

Goodluck[/quote]

You said it perfectly, thanks!!

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1912559