T Nation

FOOD- Let Me Have it

I’m single and this entire year has been a complete change in lifestyle.I needed to take a hardcore approach in making changes in my life and I have basically turned it upside-down.Last year I was an alchoholic and I needed to stop drinking “cold turkey” to inforce it into my sub-concious that I am no longer dependant on booze.This however has come at a cost to my social life as most of my friends and associates drink regularly and I basically have avoided them to increase my chances of successfully beating my addiction.
It’s been 10 months now and I can confidently enjoy a few refreshing beverages without fear of addiction grabbing me by the balls as it once did.
Though that information doesn’t seem important in regards to my question it does raise some social issues. ie
None of my friends are fitness fanatics nor are they interested in bodybuilding and I now would like to catch up them for a few beers and that will obviously lead me to stay the night as I would not be legally allowed to drive home.

I am currently bulking and eating 6 times per day.

Q. If you guys stay away from home (say at a friends house) where there would be a group of people you know and may not know do you make an enterance sporting a big bag full of pre-packed meals to eat for the rest of the day and the following day?
I can’t help but feel like a bit of a tool going to a party or a friends house for the night with a back-pack full of food.
I haven’t yet skipped a meal in 9 months and don’t want to start now.

What do you guys do in this situation??

You’re concerned with messing up an eating routine for a couple days, yet you drink some “refreshing beverages” all the while calling yourself an alcoholic? 8-O

I never get cought without my backpack full of food. Many times iv been called to go hangout with friends without having time to prep food so i just keep things like tuna and oatmeal and protein powder and peanut butter in my bag because it doesn’t go bad and stroll into the party like its not a big deal set it down in a corner and be on your way.

You wouldn’t believe the times iv had to go to it so as i wouldn’t miss a meal. And you know what, they might laugh at you for a minute but who cares, brush them off and do your own thing.

[quote]Jim W wrote:
You’re concerned with messing up an eating routine for a couple days, yet you drink some “refreshing beverages” all the while calling yourself an alcoholic? 8-O[/quote]

It’s amazing how some people manage to voice their stupidity in just one sentence.

Just take it.

In the end it doesn’t really matter whether people laugh at you.

But as long as you don’t make a big deal out of it. You said there will be a group of people there, so it’s easy just to sneak off and grab your shit eat it and what not.

If anyone asks just either tell them what your doing or make something up like your stomach will explode if you don’t eat.
It’s not that big a problem.

Yeah you guys are right and it’s not that I’m worried about what people think but I was starting to think that I am way to anal about the way I eat.For example if I’m on my way to work and get there but realise I have forgotten my meals then I’ll crack the shits,turn around and come home as I don’t want to miss a days growth.I was just wondering if all serious lifters were as anal as me when it comes to meals or I was just taking it too far.

I also wonder how a lot of you guys manage to eat a stict BB diet whilst living in a family environment eg wife and 3 kids. Obviously your wife and kids wouldn’t be eating a BB diet so mealwise does “Dad” just seperate himself from the rest of his family with premade meals.
I haven’t got a wife or kids and I always wonder how I would handle such a situation.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:
Jim W wrote:
You’re concerned with messing up an eating routine for a couple days, yet you drink some “refreshing beverages” all the while calling yourself an alcoholic? 8-O

It’s amazing how some people manage to voice their stupidity in just one sentence.[/quote]

Addicts don’t ‘beat’ their addiction and go back to it in moderation and consider it a success.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:
Yeah you guys are right and it’s not that I’m worried about what people think but I was starting to think that I am way to anal about the way I eat.For example if I’m on my way to work and get there but realise I have forgotten my meals then I’ll crack the shits,turn around and come home as I don’t want to miss a days growth.I was just wondering if all serious lifters were as anal as me when it comes to meals or I was just taking it too far.

I also wonder how a lot of you guys manage to eat a stict BB diet whilst living in a family environment eg wife and 3 kids. Obviously your wife and kids wouldn’t be eating a BB diet so mealwise does “Dad” just seperate himself from the rest of his family with premade meals.
I haven’t got a wife or kids and I always wonder how I would handle such a situation.[/quote]

The Dad just doesn’t buy any processed foods and keeps the refrigerator full of meat and veggies. If the mom buys junk food the dad throws it out. If the kids bring home junk food the dad throws it out. Pretty soon everybody eats like a bodybuilder, because they don’t know any other way to eat.

[/quote]
Jim W wrote:

Addicts don’t ‘beat’ their addiction and go back to it in moderation and consider it a success.

[/quote]

People like you get sorted out the old fasioned way and they never beat anything.

That interesting. I couldn’t imagine dictating to my girl what she can and can’t eat but that’s just me.I’d be aware of the food situation but I know how my mac ratios and nutrient timing would be different from the rest of the family.
I just eat every 2.5 - 3hrs and can’t imagine the family revolving around that.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:

The Dad just doesn’t buy any processed foods and keeps the refrigerator full of meat and veggies. If the mom buys junk food the dad throws it out. If the kids bring home junk food the dad throws it out. Pretty soon everybody eats like a bodybuilder, because they don’t know any other way to eat.

That interesting. I couldn’t imagine dictating to my girl what she can and can’t eat but that’s just me.I’d be aware of the food situation but I know how my mac ratios and nutrient timing would be different from the rest of the family.
I just eat every 2.5 - 3hrs and can’t imagine the family revolving around that.[/quote]

That’s because you’re a pussy and an alcoholic.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:

I haven’t got a wife or kids and I always wonder how I would handle such a situation.[/quote]

Hi there! Congratulations on the changes you have made! I just wanted to say that it really comes down to being prepared and orgainized. I found it really hard at first because I was a fast food junkie and this lifestyle was just so out of my realm. But, I started to plan out what I was going to eat for the week, and then I always pack food for myself whenever I go anywhere.

My husband has started a body transformation too so we eat pretty much the same, and my 19mo son eats a lot of what we eat, but with much more carbohydrates. It really does take a lot of time and some days I feel like im glued to the kitchen counter! lol but, as soon as I go grocery shopping, I come home and I prepare anything that I can. I chop all the veggies, I prepare snack in tupperware so that come snack time there is always something ready. This has made things so much easier. I will also cook a lot of meat ahead of time and either refridgerate or freeze it.

hope this helps!

[quote]limitatinfinity wrote:
That’s because you’re a pussy and an alcoholic.[/quote]

Gee, they’re all coming out of the woodwork today.
Can’t help but notice that none of the “keyboard warriors” have any pics of their chicken shit ass’s.
Oh well , that’s a no-brainer.

I can hold my head up high pal and I also man up to whatever life dishes out.

i’m just going to agree with acuratlman about the backpack full of food, that seems to work for me. if you’re going out with friends, leave it in the car. Did you carpool? leave it in your friend’s car.

in regards to the drinking…beer is bad for you. everyone here knows that and will preach about it til your ears bleed. not everyone is willing to make that sacrifice, but in your case i’d say drop the booze altogether.

although i do have to clear this up: once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. you’re either drinking all the time or you’re clean and sober (praise Gawd). If you’re having a few drinks with mates you’re either an alcoholic lying about your recovery or just a guy lying about being an alcoholic.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
i’m just going to agree with acuratlman about the backpack full of food, that seems to work for me. if you’re going out with friends, leave it in the car. Did you carpool? leave it in your friend’s car.

in regards to the drinking…beer is bad for you. everyone here knows that and will preach about it til your ears bleed. not everyone is willing to make that sacrifice, but in your case i’d say drop the booze altogether.

although i do have to clear this up: once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. you’re either drinking all the time or you’re clean and sober (praise Gawd). If you’re having a few drinks with mates you’re either an alcoholic lying about your recovery or just a guy lying about being an alcoholic.[/quote]

Thanks for your advise but I completely disagree with you.You see I used to be a chronic stoner. I was stoned 24/7 for 12 years and it took some time to beat that addiction but I bet it completely (4 years ago) and don’t even think about it anymore…Never. I’ve also been addicted to other substances that when I think about now makes me cringe just at the though of taking it.
It was only due to a couple of tards that this thread turned into a personal stab at me for my addiction (which is completely behind me now) and I’m not at all ashamed about it.
Damn life can throw some harder punches than our petty addictions.It’s really not that bigger deal.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:
limitatinfinity wrote:

Can’t help but notice that none of the “keyboard warriors” have any pics of their chicken shit ass’s.

[/quote]

haha while limit’s comment was a little out of left field, especially in comparison to mine, I do not see why I need to justify my comment about alcohol abuse with a picture of myself. What body type is required for someone to comment on addiction? lol

I think you are too self conscious and caring too much about what others think, hence this post about your eating habits and feeling the need to drink so you can hang with your friends. If your friends have issue with your eating and your want for sobriety, it’s time to find new friends.

Just my 2 cents take it for what it’s worth.

[quote]Jim W wrote:
McMuscles wrote:
limitatinfinity wrote:

haha while limit’s comment was a little out of left field, especially in comparison to mine, I do not see why I need to justify my comment about alcohol abuse with a picture of myself. What body type is required for someone to comment on addiction? lol

I think you are too self conscious and caring too much about what others think, hence this post about your eating habits and feeling the need to drink so you can hang with your friends. If your friends have issue with your eating and your want for sobriety, it’s time to find new friends.

[/quote]

Ok just for the record.
I live in country australia. I’m surounded by drugs, booze and cigarettes. Yup it’s everywhere and I can’t avoid it.So when people see the preparation and dedication that I put into getting into shape they see it as a little freaky.
End of thread.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:

Thanks for your advise but I completely disagree with you.[/quote]

then cancel you account if you’re not going to listen to anyone’s advice.

yawn.

and i bet you can stop ANYTIME YOU WANT throws bottle against the wall

you’re not who you say you are.

dude how old are you?

i’m blown away at the whole concept of dudes suggesting bringing meals to parties/social hangouts.

unless you are in contest dieting, i really see no reason for it.

[quote]McMuscles wrote:
Jim W wrote:
McMuscles wrote:
limitatinfinity wrote:

Ok just for the record.
I live in country australia. I’m surounded by drugs, booze and cigarettes. Yup it’s everywhere and I can’t avoid it.So when people see the preparation and dedication that I put into getting into shape they see it as a little freaky.
End of thread.
[/quote]

You think there aren’t numerous other countries with the same drinking culture? I know the U.K has it, I’d guess the much of the U.S too (the younger generation). Plenty of other people around who put more into training than yourself.