Food Intolerance Test Results

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
If you want probiotic I suggest looking into “Milk Kefir Grains” and “Water Kefir Grains” Milk kefir can be made using all animal milks as well as coconut milk and water kefir grains can be made using different sugars water and coconut water.

Kefir grains are also a lot cheaper, last forever, and will continue to multiply. Not to mention that they contain many bacteria and yeast that pills do not. Pills may give 15 billion bacteria per dose where as fresh Kefir can give you many trillions.[/quote]

Thanks Seraphim - this is the sort of info I need. HOWEVER…

The PX10 advertisement (canot link on here) claims that one would have to eat BUCKET LOADS of Kefir a DAY to make any appreciable difference. I really don’t know enough about all this, as it seems we are not quite as knowledgable with this (in general) as other matters - e.g. protein intake etc.[/quote]

What is PX10 tried searching? Believe me that is wrong. Kefir would have much more than the best probiotic billions in a spoon full.

If you are comparing kefir to probiotic supplements, there is no comparison. The supplement manufacturers usually state the amount of bacteria at the time of manufacture. Some researchers say that the potency can degrade down to only 1 percent of the manufactured potency by the time you take them. Even then, as with many supplements, when you remove the individual components (bacteria and yeasts) from the whole (fats, proteins, enzymes, minerals, vitamins, acids, etc.), they don’t function anymore.

Real homemade kefir made from grains typically in comparison to even store bought kefir has a much higher number of strains as well as potency of each strain.

I haven’t read every reply so I apologize if I repeat something.

Avoiding those foods are a good thing, but it is the first step. Ultimately the problem is a lack of proper digestion and a compromised gut barrier.

I see people all the time come in with just a food sensitivity test and the only plan is to avoid the foods and reintroduce them at a later date. What you need to do is to test the function of your GI system as well as barrier integrity. Repair and support the digestive organs not working, remove any pathogens found (it is rare when a test comes back clean in my office), reinoculate (if necessary), and repair. If you avoid your foods on the “bad” list and don’t fix the gut, then when you take the test again later you will just be sensitive to a different set of foods.

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:

Avoiding those foods are a good thing, but it is the first step. Ultimately the problem is a lack of proper digestion and a compromised gut barrier.

I see people all the time come in with just a food sensitivity test and the only plan is to avoid the foods and reintroduce them at a later date. What you need to do is to test the function of your GI system as well as barrier integrity. Repair and support the digestive organs not working, remove any pathogens found (it is rare when a test comes back clean in my office), reinoculate (if necessary), and repair. If you avoid your foods on the “bad” list and don’t fix the gut, then when you take the test again later you will just be sensitive to a different set of foods.[/quote]

Interesting,since you have seen this type of thing quite a bit how would you go about repairing the GI tract etc.

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:

I see people all the time come in with just a food sensitivity test and the only plan is to avoid the foods and reintroduce them at a later date. What you need to do is to test the function of your GI system as well as barrier integrity. Repair and support the digestive organs not working, remove any pathogens found (it is rare when a test comes back clean in my office), reinoculate (if necessary), and repair. If you avoid your foods on the “bad” list and don’t fix the gut, then when you take the test again later you will just be sensitive to a different set of foods.[/quote]

I’ve been doing a bit more research and have recently found this out. My plan is to eliminate beef, almonds, and eggs immediately. I’ll continue with whey until I get a chance to call Life Extension and ask about how it relates to the cow’s milk intolerance.

I will start to supplement with L-Glutamine, working up to 80 grams over a few days, then keep it at 80 grams for 5 days. I’ll also be taking GI Revive (from Designs for Health) during that time.

Do you think this is a good approach?

[quote]

I’ve been doing a bit more research and have recently found this out. My plan is to eliminate beef, almonds, and eggs immediately. I’ll continue with whey until I get a chance to call Life Extension and ask about how it relates to the cow’s milk intolerance.

I will start to supplement with L-Glutamine, working up to 80 grams over a few days, then keep it at 80 grams for 5 days. I’ll also be taking GI Revive (from Designs for Health) during that time.

Do you think this is a good approach?[/quote]

The best and cheapest way is to test to see where the breakdown is occurring and why. If you went to a mechanic because your check engine light came on would you just start replacing parts or figure out what broke?

Metametrix labs has a test called GIFX 2100 - best functional stool test out there because they own a patent on their DNA technology which makes it 5,000x more accurate than a traditional culture. All insurances but AETNA and Humana cover it for $99.

Cyrex labs has a test called Array 2 which checks for “leaky gut” - don’t do the lactose/mannitol test because it is outdated with a lot of false negatives because sugar isn’t an immune stimulator. This costs $225 (but a lot of docs up-charge on testing).

After your doctor establishes why your GI system broke down, then they should customize a treatment protocol based off your history and lab findings. It can be due to not chewing food enough, parasite overgrowth, a sluggish gallbladder, a lack of short chain fatty acids, etc.

Find a functional medicine doctor. If you go to a GI doc that is stuck in the current healthcare model then the odds of him or her running these tests are really close to zero.

[quote]alin wrote:

If you want probiotic I suggest looking into “Milk Kefir Grains” and “Water Kefir Grains” Milk kefir can be made using all animal milks as well as coconut milk and water kefir grains can be made using different sugars water and coconut water.

Kefir grains are also a lot cheaper, last forever, and will continue to multiply. Not to mention that they contain many bacteria and yeast that pills do not. Pills may give 15 billion bacteria per dose where as fresh Kefir can give you many trillions.[/quote]

Thanks Seraphim - this is the sort of info I need. HOWEVER…

The PX10 advertisement (canot link on here) claims that one would have to eat BUCKET LOADS of Kefir a DAY to make any appreciable difference. I really don’t know enough about all this, as it seems we are not quite as knowledgable with this (in general) as other matters - e.g. protein intake etc.[/quote]

What is PX10 tried searching? Believe me that is wrong. Kefir would have much more than the best probiotic billions in a spoon full.

If you are comparing kefir to probiotic supplements, there is no comparison. The supplement manufacturers usually state the amount of bacteria at the time of manufacture. Some researchers say that the potency can degrade down to only 1 percent of the manufactured potency by the time you take them. Even then, as with many supplements, when you remove the individual components (bacteria and yeasts) from the whole (fats, proteins, enzymes, minerals, vitamins, acids, etc.), they don’t function anymore.

Real homemade kefir made from grains typically in comparison to even store bought kefir has a much higher number of strains as well as potency of each strain.

[/quote]

Thanks for your advice.

[quote]

The best and cheapest way is to test to see where the breakdown is occurring and why. If you went to a mechanic because your check engine light came on would you just start replacing parts or figure out what broke?

Metametrix labs has a test called GIFX 2100 - best functional stool test out there because they own a patent on their DNA technology which makes it 5,000x more accurate than a traditional culture. All insurances but AETNA and Humana cover it for $99.

Cyrex labs has a test called Array 2 which checks for “leaky gut” - don’t do the lactose/mannitol test because it is outdated with a lot of false negatives because sugar isn’t an immune stimulator. This costs $225 (but a lot of docs up-charge on testing).

After your doctor establishes why your GI system broke down, then they should customize a treatment protocol based off your history and lab findings. It can be due to not chewing food enough, parasite overgrowth, a sluggish gallbladder, a lack of short chain fatty acids, etc.

Find a functional medicine doctor. If you go to a GI doc that is stuck in the current healthcare model then the odds of him or her running these tests are really close to zero.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I’ll start to look into these. I have an HMO, so it’s not easy to get them to pay for things to resolve an issue that isn’t causing me pain or discomfort.

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]Blaiser wrote:
Have you tried Indigo-3G. Just started it about a month ago and I am now able to eat more carbs then ever before. My recovery has increased dramatically and my abs are becoming more visible day by day. [/quote]

I would love to, but $95 a bottle for a supplement is ridiculous.[/quote]

It’s actually now $69 a bottle if you get on Auto-Ship, so its definitely an affordable product for what it does. Something to think about i guess but i understand where you’re coming from.

I had a similar test done a couple of years ago. Eggs were off the charts just like your test, along with a bunch of other things.

What I found out through eliminating foods is that I’m allergic to eggs. I’d been dealing with gastric issues my whole life and they nearly all went away away once I stopped eating eggs. Even though I was eating eggs all the time, I didn’t notice that they were affecting me; I just always felt kind of shitty. Now if I eat anything with egg in it (raw or cooked), I’ve got about 10 minutes to find a bathroom. I’ve tried many different probiotics and none have helped with the egg issue.

I can eat some of the foods off my list with no issues at all. Other foods give me terrible heartburn, so I try to avoid those (garlic, peppers, etc).

In researching those types of tests, my results seem fairly normal. Most likely, 1 or 2 of the foods on your list should be avoided forever. The other ones won’t matter as much and you can probably eat them, as long as it’s not everyday. In other words, the test has narrowed down the search for problem foods but don’t take it as gospel. Start experimenting with your diet and pay close attention to how you feel. Take notes and whatnot if it helps you, it helped me.

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]Blaiser wrote:
Have you tried Indigo-3G. Just started it about a month ago and I am now able to eat more carbs then ever before. My recovery has increased dramatically and my abs are becoming more visible day by day. [/quote]

I would love to, but $95 a bottle for a supplement is ridiculous.[/quote]

It’s actually now $69 a bottle if you get on Auto-Ship, so its definitely an affordable product for what it does. Something to think about i guess but i understand where you’re coming from.
[/quote]

I didn’t realize it was that much with the auto-ship…I’ll think about it, thanks.

[quote]fuglee wrote:
I had a similar test done a couple of years ago. Eggs were off the charts just like your test, along with a bunch of other things.

What I found out through eliminating foods is that I’m allergic to eggs. I’d been dealing with gastric issues my whole life and they nearly all went away away once I stopped eating eggs. Even though I was eating eggs all the time, I didn’t notice that they were affecting me; I just always felt kind of shitty. Now if I eat anything with egg in it (raw or cooked), I’ve got about 10 minutes to find a bathroom. I’ve tried many different probiotics and none have helped with the egg issue.

I can eat some of the foods off my list with no issues at all. Other foods give me terrible heartburn, so I try to avoid those (garlic, peppers, etc).

In researching those types of tests, my results seem fairly normal. Most likely, 1 or 2 of the foods on your list should be avoided forever. The other ones won’t matter as much and you can probably eat them, as long as it’s not everyday. In other words, the test has narrowed down the search for problem foods but don’t take it as gospel. Start experimenting with your diet and pay close attention to how you feel. Take notes and whatnot if it helps you, it helped me.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Actually two of my “Avoid” foods that I didn’t note were apricots and oysters. I’ve never had an oyster in my life, and I only occasionally eat apricots in jam form, so I would assume that those are foods I could potentially have a more severe reaction to.