T Nation

Food Intolerance Test Results

I recently took a “Food Safe Allergy Test” to check my food intolerances (blood-based test). The results showed that I need to avoid these foods (I will only highlight the ones I actually consume regularly):

-Beef
-Egg White (eggs where off the charts in terms of intolerance level)
-Egg Yolk
-Almond
-Cow’s Milk
-Casein
-Cottage Cheese

I’m on the verge of broccoli becoming an “Avoid” food as well. I have a couple questions for anyone who knows a bit more about these tests:

  1. I’m I just supposed to avoid these foods for 6 weeks, then introduce them back in?
  2. Would “Cow’s Milk” included whey protein, ricotta cheese, heavy cream?
  3. As far as the almonds are concerned, would I need to avoid almond milk, or is the almond milk absent of whatever causes the intolerance?

Thanks for any help.

im not a doctor, but usually with a food intolerance test, one would eliminate the worst foods for 6-12 weeks. during this time supplementing with extra pre/probiotics and glutamine can help to heal the gut-lining.

After the rest period, re-introduce one at a time and see if you notice any negative symptoms. if you do then its possible that you have a full blown allergy and should probably avoid that food for the foreseeable future.

if you dont want to introduce one at a time etc… after the 6-12 week break period, just get the test taken again and see if the results improve.

Can’t help you, but im curious… what are your side effects after eating these foods?

Actually, none. It’s more a test for an intolerance, and not an immediate allergy.

However, when I was seeing a Biosig guy, he established that my carb sites were always high, despite my avoidance of most carbs. He mentioned that I could be eating food I was intolerant to, which would keep my carb site measurements high. I’ve been dieting recently, and have lost over 15 lbs, and my back fat hasn’t really budged.

So, I don’t have any immediate reaction to the food, but continually eating them could be what’s keeping my back fat in place.

how high was the intolerance? a lot of times the intolerance test puts foods that you eat a lot of at levels that would probably not be ideal and should probably be avoided but not out right intolerant to.

thats all i know…good luck

[quote]eggers wrote:
2) Would “Cow’s Milk” included whey protein, ricotta cheese, heavy cream?[/quote]
Shouldn’t you ask your doctor or his staff that question? Whoever provided you the service of the “Food Safe Allergy Test” should answer all your questions.

[quote]
3) As far as the almonds are concerned, would I need to avoid almond milk, or is the almond milk absent of whatever causes the intolerance?[/quote]
Again, ask your doctor or whatever healthcare professional gave you the test.

Always surprises me that people don’t pick up the phone and call the doctor’s nurse/front desk staff if they have questions. Doctors provide a service, if yours doesn’t answer followup questions about test results get a better doctor.

For someone reason i read the first one as Beer and started to write a response about how there is no god.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]eggers wrote:
2) Would “Cow’s Milk” included whey protein, ricotta cheese, heavy cream?[/quote]
Shouldn’t you ask your doctor or his staff that question? Whoever provided you the service of the “Food Safe Allergy Test” should answer all your questions.

[quote]
3) As far as the almonds are concerned, would I need to avoid almond milk, or is the almond milk absent of whatever causes the intolerance?[/quote]
Again, ask your doctor or whatever healthcare professional gave you the test.

Always surprises me that people don’t pick up the phone and call the doctor’s nurse/front desk staff if they have questions. Doctors provide a service, if yours doesn’t answer followup questions about test results get a better doctor. [/quote]

I plan on calling the company, but I just posted to get the opinion of members here. I tested through Life Extension, so it wasn’t a doctor.

[quote]boldar wrote:
how high was the intolerance? a lot of times the intolerance test puts foods that you eat a lot of at levels that would probably not be ideal and should probably be avoided but not out right intolerant to.

thats all i know…good luck[/quote]

My egg white/egg yolk intolerance (I’m not sure of the units on these numbers at this point) was measured at 2524/2185, respectively, and anything over 900 for those was considered high.

Beef was at 1469, and over 490 was considered high.

I have definitely eaten eggs and/or beef daily for the past 5 years. I will call Life Extension sometime soon and report back. If going without beef and eggs for two months will help my back fat, it won’t be a problem for me.

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]boldar wrote:
how high was the intolerance? a lot of times the intolerance test puts foods that you eat a lot of at levels that would probably not be ideal and should probably be avoided but not out right intolerant to.

thats all i know…good luck[/quote]

My egg white/egg yolk intolerance (I’m not sure of the units on these numbers at this point) was measured at 2524/2185, respectively, and anything over 900 for those was considered high.

Beef was at 1469, and over 490 was considered high.

I have definitely eaten eggs and/or beef daily for the past 5 years. I will call Life Extension sometime soon and report back. If going without beef and eggs for two months will help my back fat, it won’t be a problem for me.[/quote]

Try taking a glucose disposal agent when you ingest carbs. I noticed that once I started taking this, my back fat dropped drastically. If I recall, CT said that storing back fat is likely an insulin resistance issue in one of his many articles.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]boldar wrote:
how high was the intolerance? a lot of times the intolerance test puts foods that you eat a lot of at levels that would probably not be ideal and should probably be avoided but not out right intolerant to.

thats all i know…good luck[/quote]

My egg white/egg yolk intolerance (I’m not sure of the units on these numbers at this point) was measured at 2524/2185, respectively, and anything over 900 for those was considered high.

Beef was at 1469, and over 490 was considered high.

I have definitely eaten eggs and/or beef daily for the past 5 years. I will call Life Extension sometime soon and report back. If going without beef and eggs for two months will help my back fat, it won’t be a problem for me.[/quote]

Try taking a glucose disposal agent when you ingest carbs. I noticed that once I started taking this, my back fat dropped drastically. If I recall, CT said that storing back fat is likely an insulin resistance issue in one of his many articles. [/quote]

Been taking them for years. I tried the Fenuplex/Insulinomics combo when CT wrote that article/post, and currently taking one with Berberine (Glycosolve). I actually take them with every meal, even no-carb meals.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Have you tried Indigo-3G. Just started it about a month ago and I am now able to eat more carbs then ever before. My recovery has increased dramatically and my abs are becoming more visible day by day.

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]eggers wrote:

[quote]boldar wrote:
how high was the intolerance? a lot of times the intolerance test puts foods that you eat a lot of at levels that would probably not be ideal and should probably be avoided but not out right intolerant to.

thats all i know…good luck[/quote]

My egg white/egg yolk intolerance (I’m not sure of the units on these numbers at this point) was measured at 2524/2185, respectively, and anything over 900 for those was considered high.

Beef was at 1469, and over 490 was considered high.

I have definitely eaten eggs and/or beef daily for the past 5 years. I will call Life Extension sometime soon and report back. If going without beef and eggs for two months will help my back fat, it won’t be a problem for me.[/quote]

Try taking a glucose disposal agent when you ingest carbs. I noticed that once I started taking this, my back fat dropped drastically. If I recall, CT said that storing back fat is likely an insulin resistance issue in one of his many articles. [/quote]

Been taking them for years. I tried the Fenuplex/Insulinomics combo when CT wrote that article/post, and currently taking one with Berberine (Glycosolve). I actually take them with every meal, even no-carb meals.

Thanks for the reply, though.[/quote]

[quote]tork94 wrote:
im not a doctor, but usually with a food intolerance test, one would eliminate the worst foods for 6-12 weeks. during this time supplementing with extra pre/probiotics and glutamine can help to heal the gut-lining.

After the rest period, re-introduce one at a time and see if you notice any negative symptoms. if you do then its possible that you have a full blown allergy and should probably avoid that food for the foreseeable future.

if you dont want to introduce one at a time etc… after the 6-12 week break period, just get the test taken again and see if the results improve.

[/quote]

Can anyone recommend a good pre/probiotic?
I’ve looked into a few - the PX10 looks good, but basically says that theirs is brilliant and ALL OTHERS are a waste of time. (Wish Biotest did one - hint, hint)

I HAVE searched on here and while there is much discussion, not a lot of agreement! (Anyone experienced any benefits?)

(Sorry for hijack.)

If you want probiotic I suggest looking into “Milk Kefir Grains” and “Water Kefir Grains” Milk kefir can be made using all animal milks as well as coconut milk and water kefir grains can be made using different sugars water and coconut water.

Kefir grains are also a lot cheaper, last forever, and will continue to multiply. Not to mention that they contain many bacteria and yeast that pills do not. Pills may give 15 billion bacteria per dose where as fresh Kefir can give you many trillions.

For a probiotic I would recommend Jarro-Dophilus EPS and for a prebiotic I would recommend NOW Acacia Fiber Organic Powder. Chris Kresser recommends both of these in his supplement regimes.

http://store.chriskresser.com/

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]tork94 wrote:
im not a doctor, but usually with a food intolerance test, one would eliminate the worst foods for 6-12 weeks. during this time supplementing with extra pre/probiotics and glutamine can help to heal the gut-lining.

After the rest period, re-introduce one at a time and see if you notice any negative symptoms. if you do then its possible that you have a full blown allergy and should probably avoid that food for the foreseeable future.

if you dont want to introduce one at a time etc… after the 6-12 week break period, just get the test taken again and see if the results improve.

[/quote]

Can anyone recommend a good pre/probiotic?
I’ve looked into a few - the PX10 looks good, but basically says that theirs is brilliant and ALL OTHERS are a waste of time. (Wish Biotest did one - hint, hint)

I HAVE searched on here and while there is much discussion, not a lot of agreement! (Anyone experienced any benefits?)

(Sorry for hijack.)[/quote]

[quote]Blaiser wrote:
For a probiotic I would recommend Jarro-Dophilus EPS and for a prebiotic I would recommend NOW Acacia Fiber Organic Powder. Chris Kresser recommends both of these in his supplement regimes.

http://store.chriskresser.com/

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]tork94 wrote:
im not a doctor, but usually with a food intolerance test, one would eliminate the worst foods for 6-12 weeks. during this time supplementing with extra pre/probiotics and glutamine can help to heal the gut-lining.

After the rest period, re-introduce one at a time and see if you notice any negative symptoms. if you do then its possible that you have a full blown allergy and should probably avoid that food for the foreseeable future.

if you dont want to introduce one at a time etc… after the 6-12 week break period, just get the test taken again and see if the results improve.

[/quote]

Can anyone recommend a good pre/probiotic?
I’ve looked into a few - the PX10 looks good, but basically says that theirs is brilliant and ALL OTHERS are a waste of time. (Wish Biotest did one - hint, hint)

I HAVE searched on here and while there is much discussion, not a lot of agreement! (Anyone experienced any benefits?)

(Sorry for hijack.)[/quote][/quote]

Waste of money. Jarrow has 60 capsules taking 2 a day (they recommend working up to 4) will last a month for $25. So, a serving (2 pills) gives 10 billion bacteria of only 8 strains. I got 1/4 cup Kefir grains for $8 each serving gives trillions of bacteria with more than 50 bacteria and yeast strains.

Where do you get your Kefir grains from?

Do you have to do anything special to them before you can take them?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
If you want probiotic I suggest looking into “Milk Kefir Grains” and “Water Kefir Grains” Milk kefir can be made using all animal milks as well as coconut milk and water kefir grains can be made using different sugars water and coconut water.

Kefir grains are also a lot cheaper, last forever, and will continue to multiply. Not to mention that they contain many bacteria and yeast that pills do not. Pills may give 15 billion bacteria per dose where as fresh Kefir can give you many trillions.[/quote]

Thanks Seraphim - this is the sort of info I need. HOWEVER…

The PX10 advertisement (canot link on here) claims that one would have to eat BUCKET LOADS of Kefir a DAY to make any appreciable difference. I really don’t know enough about all this, as it seems we are not quite as knowledgable with this (in general) as other matters - e.g. protein intake etc.

[quote]Blaiser wrote:
Have you tried Indigo-3G. Just started it about a month ago and I am now able to eat more carbs then ever before. My recovery has increased dramatically and my abs are becoming more visible day by day. [/quote]

I would love to, but $95 a bottle for a supplement is ridiculous. I used to be a supplement whore (Biotest especially), but I decided a couple years ago that most of it is a waste of money, and I should stick with the essentials (whey, fish oil, Vit. D, glucose disposal, magnesium, and Vit. E), and just BCAA’s around my workout.

[quote]Blaiser wrote:
Where do you get your Kefir grains from?

Do you have to do anything special to them before you can take them?[/quote]

I ordered them from Ebay. Some people want to charge like $45 but, there a few who sell it for under $10 including shipping. Best part is they send them alive in baggies. Most sites send them dehydrated.

All I do is add cows milk or coconut milk to a quart jar, put the grains in, cover with coffee filter and rubber band, wait 12-36 hrs depending on taste preference, strain and drink.