Food For Thought: Sources & Nutritional Value

[quote]El Sonido wrote:
Taufiq wrote:

1. Quark
  2. High protein, low fat and low carb
  3. Better in texture and taste than cottage cheese for me

I love Quark! Got a tub of the stuff in the fridge right now.
It’s oh so versatile. Great over scrambled eggs with cinnamon.[/quote]

Yeah man, I have to send FattyFat a thank you card soon for recommending it lol

Hmm Quark :), I was just starting to get used to the taste of cottage cheese (Im half asleep in the morning anyway, so taste doesnt matter), but, still, Im gonna see if I can find it in the grocery store.

1. cinnamon
  2. improves insulin sensitivity and provides some antioxidants and minerals
  3. tastes great mixed into protein shakes or sprinkled on just about anything meant to taste sweet

Bound to be less popular than cinnamon, but I like it:

1. herring (“fish steaks”) and/or sardines
  2. cheap enough, and it’s basically all protein and essential fats in an easily-portable can; without the mercury level worries of bigger, predator fish like tuna
  3. definitely an acquired taste unless you’re a natural lover of seafood; pretty badass when you eat it straight out of the little rectangular cans (mouthwash and gum recommended afterward)

And here’s another, less controversial choice:

1. turmeric
  2. gives you the emerging research-supported benefits of curcumin (anti-inflammatory, cancer-fighting, possibly fat gain preventing, etc.) and easily found in the spice section of the grocery store
  3. tastes pretty good with most savory-flavored dishes - I like it on salads and the beans mentioned by another poster above.

And two more for good measure:

1. cabbage

2. lots of anti-estrogen DIM and related compounds; lots of healthy fiber; fills you up with very few calories; cheap to buy; standard green or purple variety for some added antioxidants

3. shred it to make your own coleslaw or just add a bunch of it to a standard salad

4. pumpkin (canned plain, not the sugary stuff labeled “pumpkin pie filling”)

5. tons of vitamins and carotenoid antioxidants; lots of fiber; goes well with cinnamon

6. blend it with whey protein to make a really thick shake, mix it with some cottage cheese and/or plain or vanilla yogurt and add a little splenda or stevia for a healthy pudding alternative

7. nuts and seeds (unroasted, unsalted)

8. nature’s own essential fats in tablet form (don’t swallow whole though - chewing recommended); with protein and fiber to boot

9. easy to store in a desk drawer for an anytime snack

(In case you haven’t guessed, my family thinks my eating habits are weird and pretty gross, but I don’t care - I plan to be the one still lifting when I’m 80+)

1. Shrimps, crayfish, lobster, crab etc
  2. Another high quality protein source
  3. If you live near the sea like I do, these stuffs are really cheap, and are excellent substitutes for chicken and beef if you ever get tired of them
  1. Watermelon
  2. Contains amino acid citrulline (becomes arginine becomes nitric oxide), lycopene, vitamin c, beta carotene, potassium, and they are cheap and filling
  3. Boost your arginine levels by 11% by drinking 3 glasses of watermelon juice a day for 3 weeks… thats about 210 calories/day however

Watermelon always hit the spot for me (bump)

[quote]Taufiq wrote:

3. If you live near the sea like I do, these stuffs are really cheap, and are excellent substitutes for chicken and beef if you ever get tired of them[/quote]

For sure. I live on the coast as well, if we have alot of seafood/fish in our diet is fish oil/Flameout as important to us compared to someone who lives in the middle of the country? Or important enough to warrant supplementing.

[quote]Ocelot82 wrote:
Taufiq wrote:

3. If you live near the sea like I do, these stuffs are really cheap, and are excellent substitutes for chicken and beef if you ever get tired of them

For sure. I live on the coast as well, if we have alot of seafood/fish in our diet is fish oil/Flameout as important to us compared to someone who lives in the middle of the country? Or important enough to warrant supplementing.

[/quote]

If you eat quite a lot of fatty fishes like salmon and cod, then supplementation probably isn’t necessary. However if for some reason you want to try megadosing on fish oil, supplementation might be needed.

I don’t take capsules, but, I think lotsa a nuts suffice? Anyone beg to differ?

im suprised nobody has mentioned:

1. buffalo meat (burgers)
  2. one of the highest bioavailable proteins
  3. get big

Wow, thread really needs to be bumped ^^

1.) Quinoa
2.) Gluten-free grain; considered as a complete protein source with All essential AA; high in fiber, protein (duh), and complex CHO
3.) Great Post-workout Carb thats nutrient dense and relatively inexpensive

1. Flax Bread–see Shugart’s Blog
  2. Good source of Protein, Fiber, healthy fats
  3. forgot what three was supposed to be but it doesnt taste too bad for being a low carb bread.

[quote]scarb wrote:

1. Fresh Figs
  2. High in Fiber, vitamin B, potassium and calcium and simple sugars.
  3. Tastes like candy, great in oatmeal and protein shakes[/quote]

so damn expensive though

[quote]Serd wrote:
1.) Quinoa
2.) Gluten-free grain; considered as a complete protein source with All essential AA; high in fiber, protein (duh), and complex CHO
3.) Great Post-workout Carb thats nutrient dense and relatively inexpensive[/quote]

X2, love quinoa, if you’ve never had it, get some soon.

1. Turkey Bacon
  2. High protein(6g per slice), low fat(.5g per slice), helps curb some of those cravings for some “cheat foods”, but in all reality it is great for you.
  3. Great addition to any morning breakfast, and if you make enough you can just chomp on it throughout the day.

Trader Joe’s has all natural, no nitrate, turkey bacon for those looking for the healthiest version.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Serd wrote:
1.) Quinoa
3.) Great Post-workout Carb thats nutrient dense and relatively inexpensive[/quote]

1. Turkey Bacon
  2. High protein(6g per slice), low fat(.5g per slice), helps curb some of those cravings for some “cheat foods”, but in all reality it is great for you.
  3. Great addition to any morning breakfast, and if you make enough you can just chomp on it throughout the day.

Trader Joe’s has all natural, no nitrate, turkey bacon for those looking for the healthiest version.[/quote]

What is the issue being behind nitrate filled foods?

1. Blueberries

2. Full of antioxidants. Source of Carbs and Fiber.

3. Tasty and healthy!

4. Broccoli

5. Antioxidants and Fiber.

6. Very healthy, potent anti-cancer effects.

[quote]ALA wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Serd wrote:
1.) Quinoa

1. Turkey Bacon

Trader Joe’s has all natural, no nitrate, turkey bacon for those looking for the healthiest version.[/quote]

What is the issue being behind nitrate filled foods?
[/quote]

Don’t quote me, but I believe that nitrates can turn into nitrosamines (which are carcinogenic), not sure if this was found in vivo or in vitro though.

Also heard that vitamin C can prevent the formation of nitrosamines, again, not sure if in vivo or in vitro.

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
i already favorited this as I can only hope it’ll be a great thread.

1. Beans
  2. Fiber/low glycemic carbs/protein
  3. Everyone needs more fiber![/quote]

Ya babayyyy!

1. Ground beef/vege/bean mix

2. Protein, Fibre, low GI carbs, Vitamins, Minerals and some fat.

3. I don’t even know where to start! Its a great way to add veges to a protein filled meal. I tried it with beans and makes it that much more tasty while adding MUCH needed fibre! (as well as some extra protein). Its quick to make so long as the meat is un-thawed and you pre-cut the veges. It only takes 20 min to half hour to make. Add some spices and you can make it taste better!