T Nation

Food and Nutrition Timing

I was reading a lot and there is much conflicting info on the web about when or when not to eat fats, proteins, carbs.

Let’s assume one wants to get 200g protein, 300g carbs, 30g fats daily.

Does it matter when these are consumed? I am a bit puzzled as certain authorities say well only eat carbs pre- and post- workout, while others advocate the “who cares when as long as you get it in” mantra.

So, which one is it? Does it matter when you get them in or not?

Do yourself a favor and start out by evenly dividing your macros evenly over meals. Do this for about a year and adjust total calories and macros when necessary. THEN… you can start to fool around with esotetic stuff.

For your example with five meals a day:

1. 40 grams of protein
  2. 60 grams of carbs and
  3. 6 grams of fat at each meal.

They don’t have to be exactly divided over the meals, but you get the drift.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Do yourself a favor and start out by evenly dividing your macros evenly over meals. Do this for about a year and adjust total calories and macros when necessary. THEN… you can start to fool around with esotetic stuff.

1. 40 grams of protein
  2. 60 grams of carbs and

They don’t have to be exactly divided over the meals, but you get the drift. [/quote]

Obviously this is just an example and shouldn’t be read into too much but do you not think 30 grams of fat a day is too little?

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

1. 40 grams of protein
  2. 60 grams of carbs and

They don’t have to be exactly divided over the meals, but you get the drift. [/quote]

Obviously this is just an example and shouldn’t be read into too much but do you not think 30 grams of fat a day is too little? [/quote]

I thought the same.

Obviously this is just an example and shouldn’t be read into too much but do you not think 30 grams of fat a day is too little? [/quote]

Yes! IMO…that in VERY LOW. Should start at about .5 grams per lb/bw.
I think my boner would quit working after a couple of weeks on a 30g fat a day diet!

[quote]Gup wrote:
I was reading a lot and there is much conflicting info on the web about when or when not to eat fats, proteins, carbs. [/quote]

The reason there is conflicting advice is because people have achived results with many approaches. If you are new to a ‘method’ routine, pick one that is easy to follow first and use it for an adequate trial period(as has already been suggested). If you get the results you want then there is no reason to complicate things.
No need to drive thumb-tacks with a sledge hammer.

I usually split them up evenly and have been doing so for a bit, but just wanted to see if there was any evidence besides broscience that led to the timing debate.

O and I shoot for the 30 grams exclusive fats because I am bound to get some trace fats with the other meals. It is hard to get just protein w/o any fat with every meal.

Another issue that I wanted to ask about was are all carbs/fats/proteins created equal. Is there any difference if I get my crabs from one cup oats vs. one cup orange juice vs. one piece of fruit granted they all have the same gram of carbs? Chicken breast vs. powdered whey? Coconut oil vs avocado? Does it really matter what you get your fats/carbs/protein from?

[quote]Gup wrote:

Another issue that I wanted to ask about was are all carbs/fats/proteins created equal. Is there any difference if I get my crabs from one cup oats vs. one cup orange juice vs. one piece of fruit granted they all have the same gram of carbs? Chicken breast vs. powdered whey? Coconut oil vs avocado? Does it really matter what you get your fats/carbs/protein from? [/quote]

You can try reading some of the HUNDREDS of nutitrion articles on this site, or the THOUSANDS (perhaps MILLIONS), of articles and books available online and at the bookstore.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

1. 40 grams of protein
  2. 60 grams of carbs and

I thought the same. [/quote]

Only just properly read the OP and saw what you did there. I thought that you were suggesting OP ate only 30grams of fat per day, my bad.

OP, eat more fat!

[quote]Gup wrote:
O and I shoot for the 30 grams exclusive fats because I am bound to get some trace fats with the other meals. It is hard to get just protein w/o any fat with every meal.

Another issue that I wanted to ask about was are all carbs/fats/proteins created equal. Is there any difference if I get my crabs from one cup oats vs. one cup orange juice vs. one piece of fruit granted they all have the same gram of carbs? Chicken breast vs. powdered whey? Coconut oil vs avocado? Does it really matter what you get your fats/carbs/protein from? [/quote]

O.K…how many total grams of fat a day?

Yes it matters. IMO…these are good starting guidelines.
1 piece of fresh fruit a day-before 10:00am if you train in the afternoon
4 serving of vegetables 2w/lunch 2w/dinner [fresh is best-frozen next-can last]
protein powders are great, but get at least half you daily protein from solid food. At least one serving of lean red meat a day.
Starches=oats, rice, sweet potatoes, pasta…no juice.

That will get you started.

Thanks for the replies. I realize the fats seem low, but keep in mind that trace fats will always be ingested with every meal. I only want to take in an extra 30g or so with PB or avocado.

I can see how the question can be taken as a silly one. Of course, all foods are different and carbs differ from each other. i guess what I was trying to dig was whether eating an unhealthy? carb is better than no carb at all if you are diligently trying to hit your macro targets.

[quote]Gup wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I realize the fats seem low, but keep in mind that trace fats will always be ingested with every meal. I only want to take in an extra 30g or so with PB or avocado.

I can see how the question can be taken as a silly one. Of course, all foods are different and carbs differ from each other. i guess what I was trying to dig was whether eating an unhealthy? carb is better than no carb at all if you are diligently trying to hit your macro targets.
[/quote]

‘Trace fats’ don’t sound like a good source of fats.

The OP is a perfect example of people over-complicating their nutrition based upon their nutritional level.

Focus on the basics.

Your last questions leads me to believe your consistency on mastering the basics is poor.