T Nation

Followup Program to 20-Rep Squats

Hey guys, I’ve been reading quite a few articles on this site recently and I’ve read through most of the stickies on top. I’m still a beginner to weightlifting; this summer is the first time I really committed to the lifestyle, though last summer and throughout last year I went to the gym on and off.

There’s a lot of information out there about which programs work the best, and I felt quite overloaded but I finally decided about 5 weeks ago to start up the 20-rep squat program. I plan to take a week or two off lifting when I finish firstly because I’m moving to college around that time, and secondly I want to avoid overtraining.

FYI, I started with the bar plus 40 pounds, and next Friday I plan to finish the program with the bar plus 130 pounds. So far, I’ve gone from about 165 pounds to weighing 177 pounds.

Can someone recommend me a program that is a good follow-up to 20 rep squats? I’m thinking it might be a good idea to give squats a rest to give my knees a break. I’d like to improve my deadlift- it’s still very weak, and a program that focused on that would be great

I looked at the starting strength program, but it doesn’t seem too appealing because it mandates squats every workout, which I could use a break from.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I all depends on what your goals are.

I want to keep gaining weight. I’m definately not up to a weight where I should start dieting in my opinion, my bench is still weak as is my deadlift.

I would go for Rippetoes if it weren’t for 3 a week squatting which, as I said, I want to avoid.

I guess my #1 goal is improving my Deadlift, but it’s be nice to improve my bench a little bit too.

Since you just starting out I would go with a simple 5x5 program. It did wonders for me at that stage. Lower rep sets of deadlifts really kick up your max in a hurry. Mine improved by 40 pounds in a month. Keep your calorie/protein intake up and you’ll get great size gains. Pick compound exercises that fit you goals and that you like doing. It could look something like this.

Day 1
Bench 5x5
dips 5x5
shoulder press 3x10
weighted chin-up 5x5
bent row 3x10
abs 3x15

Day 2
Squat 5x5
lunge 3x10
power cleans 3x10
Deadlift 5x5
hyperextentions 3x15

Thats a full load so if you think its too much drop a couple lifts .

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately as I just switched from a cut to a bulk and I want to build some size and strength in my legs.

I’m going to alternate between 4 week microcycles of training. 4 weeks higher rep hypertrophy squatting, 4 weeks lower rep strength style squatting.

After a higher rep cycle I am going to do,

Mon: 5x5 or 3x10 Heavy Squats

Wed: 2x8 Box Squats

Fri: Heavy Deadlift

Heavy squatting to keep building strength/size, box squats as I’ve never really tried them, but hear they are good for strength and posterior chain development, which will help your deadlift. Easier to recover from as well. Then a day to focus on the deadlift.

Check out the squatting head to toe article:

Thats my current plan, I’m not too far into it, so no results but I think it is reasonable approach. I think 2 weeks off is kind of extravagant, but if you are moving and such I’d just try to get some lighter workouts in when you can. I wouldn’t worry about the overtraining.