Following Politics, Following the Money

Depends on the proportion of employees work for the robber barons as opposed to the small businesses - i.e. 100% of the employers make up only, say, 10% of the population - 7% of the population is small businesses can only employ say, 30% of employees due to size, that leaves 3% of the employers employing 70% of employees.

Proportion of employees employed matters in this sense, more so, I think, than proportion of the size of employers…there are two sides to every transaction.

1 Like

Regulations are only effective as they are thoroughly enforced. Having laws or regulations on the books means nothing if they are not enforced properly and with vigor. And if a corporation is dumping bilge into a river which is saving them 1 million dollars and the fine is 50k, then the corporation will break the law or regulation all day because the fine is not an effective deterrent. Even a law against murder, may have a death penalty or a life in prison without the possibility for parole doesn’t mean the law won’t be broken.

Are tax regulations the only regulations? And how many people get away with tax evasion vs. those who are caught?

https://www.regulations.gov/

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/how-common-is-tax-evasion/

If you have POLITICAL connections your chances of being prosecuted are relatively small. If not, then your chances are greater. Think good ole boy Timmy Geithner vs. Leona Hemsley.

Sure, but Zep can’t handle the complicated bits (or any bits) so I wanted to dumb it down.

I don’t think I agree that it matters “more” though. Matters yes. Definitely. But because a large, large portion of our economy stands on small business (small businesses drove the bulk of net new jobs, about 62%, from 1992-2013 according to government stats), regulatory burden is a MAJOR issue for them, and hence for us.

Of course I’m not saying that all regulatory affairs are bad but then that wasn’t Zeps talking point. About 90% of businesses in this country have less than 20 employees. Hardly “Big” Anything.

2 Likes

If I implied that in some way, it was not my intention. I can’t speak for which is more impactful or important but both sides matter…

But yes:

1 Like

That was probably on me, I read your post pretty quick and it didn’t register lol

1 Like

I do that all the time … then I find myself in a rabbit hole with pfury that’s 20 posts deep

2 Likes

But aren’t they the most fun rabbit holes of your LIFE?!?!!

Most large corporations can get away with breaking regulations because of their size and political connections. Not so for small businesses.

That’d be sad if it was lol

1 Like

Everything above is irrelevant. Regulations cost the economy at least $2 trillion dollars a year. That’s a conservative estimate.

You’re wrong a lot, but you’re other side of the universe wrong on this one. Just let it go.

1 Like

As usual, you don’t take into account the most basic, fundamental aspects of the issue. And how much is saved by the corporations for breaking a law or regulation?

As usual, you are a moron and this conversation will go no where because of it.

Comrade Zep is actually revealing our plans for the future when Sanders is president.

Comrade Zep doesn’t understand what he’s talking about.

Comrade Zep is a rather confused member of the collective. We try not to tell him too much.

2 Likes

It isn’t what is paid it is what isn’t by breaking laws and regulations. If a corporation closes down then maybe they had no business being in business. And their model simply doesn’t work. Are you telling me that it is okay for corporations to poison the public so they can make another buck? That seems like something from your ideology.

Ha, ha this is so damn funny. I must be a communist by not wanting corporation to get away with anything they want in order to make more money, ha ha ha!

As usual, total brainwashed ignorance.

You don’t have the slightest idea what regulatory burden is.

Shocker, you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about here either.

Literally shaking my head reading this. No, that is not what I am telling you. How you arrived at this conclusion only you can know.

Being illiterate seems like the central and sole pillar of your ideology.

3 Likes