Following Illness: To Deload or Not to Deload?

Running 5/3/1 with no AMRAPS on third set. Things are going fine relatively speaking for myself and my pain history. I’m in process of getting over a bout with the seasonal head cold/sinus/upper respiratory crap and I missed my deadlift workout in week 2 then missed my squat, bench, and military press workouts on week 3 of mesocycle. I was feeling better and I managed to get my deadlift workout in on week 3(surprisingly was the best week 3 deadlift workout I’ve done in a long time-I guess thank the Sudafed???).

Should I take the planned deload on week 4 since I was sick, you know just take the planned time off and finish getting back to baseline level of health? then continue with the next 4 week block progressing weights as called for in 5/3/1? or is there some kind of 1 step back, 2 steps forward approach/protocol I’m unaware of that I should implement following a layoff or illiness instead of the scheduled deload week on week 4?

I would say if you feel like the Deload would be helpful / necessary then go for that. However, if you don’t need the Deload and can get by without it jeopardizing your next few weeks of training then by all means move forward skipping it and keep busy.

I don’t think you will find a concrete answer on what to do here. Your own assessment of your recovery ability will be what is important here. Sometimes training can actually make you feel better even when being ill…other times it can make it worse. I would say give training a try and if it just feels completely off or flat then call an audible and take your Deload and resume where you left off. However if it goes ok…just continue clocking in.