T Nation

Following CW's Huge in a Hurry

I just made an account here and am really enjoying what it has to offer, especially the fact that i can ask quesitons and get answers.

Here's a brief background:
18yrs old, 1 year of lifting experience
150lbs
about 15-20% BF

flat BP: 5x150
Deadlift: 5x240
Squat: 5x180

I know those lifts are low but i am new and hope with more time i can greatly improve those.

My goal for the next few months is to gain mass till i reach about 170. The program that i am going to use is "Huge in a Hurry" by Chad. Think this is a good choice for mass gain?

here my diet:
about 2400calories daily, 180g protein. Eating clean food only, no junk, sweets, ect.

Is there any advice i can get from you guys that would help me improve my mass gain?

thanks!

be prepared to up those calories, and probably very soon (as in, right now). dont be afriad of some so-called junk if you're trying to gain mass. many people easily gain 20 pounds when they first start lifting, given that they eat enough. you may get to 170, and have a lot more 'newbie' gains left, dont hold it back by setting an easily attainable 20 pound weight gain.

if you are completely new to weightlifting, just about any program will give you results, as long as you are progressing in your lifts.

I'd recommend bumping calories up to 3000, and protein up to 200 grams daily.

I would also recommend finding a basic workout routine that is actually tried-and-true, that has gotten many people big before (eg: push/pull/legs), instead of this new fangled Waterbury bullcrap.

You realize that there is a bandwagon that bashes Waterbury, just as there is one that praises him, right?

OP,

If you have not had a structured lifting routine and have not had a solid diet before, ANY routine will do just fine - for a while.

Try it out and get back to us.

thanks for the advice.

yea, i'm going to give this program a try and see what my results are in 2 weeks. Then i'll post them!

Is this an effective ratio? 50% carbs, 30%protein, 20%fat

Also, a lot of people mention to take Surge, but is that really necessary?
isn't creatine enough? (that's what i'm taking right now; every workout)

Worry about lifting before you worry about Surge and/or creatine. You should be getting whey and fast-acting carbs (fruit) within 30 mins after a work out. Then a substantial meal an hour after that.

In terms of ratios, it's different for everyone. Being younger you are more sensitive to carbs and therefore can get by eating larger quantities of them, but judging by your BF and weight (unless you weren't eating very well before) you would be better off on a lower carb diet.

Try that ratio, see how it goes, make some changes and wait a few weeks. See if it benefits or is detrimental to your body comp, and increase or revent the changes accordingly.

Results in two weeks won't really matter. Do the program.

Give the prog a proper try, you're not going to see results in 2 wks whatever prog you follow.

Train hard for a good 6 months at least and then see how you're progressing. Chad is planning a Huge in a Hurry thread also, so you will be able to ask him Q's directly.

Make sure you are eating enough and getting sufficient sleep during that time too.

First off.....welcome to T-Nation and congrats on getting serious about training. Waterbury knows his shit that's for sure...you could do far worse than to follow his programs.

150 at 15 to 20% BF? you must not be very tall?

If you're serious about getting bigger and stronger, I highly suggest eating more than 2400 calories. Maybe keep your current diet but supplement it with some more nuts, peanut butter, whole milk, etc to get some more cals in.

As for your two week assessment.....if you're eating enough you can definitely get stronger....I don't think you'll see a huge jump in scale weight though.

What will you do when you hit your not-so-lofty goal of a whopping 170 lbs? This is why I was thinking about your height....if you're 5ft tall than 170 sub 10%bf would look pretty jacked, although certainly more abercrombie than beast-like. However if you're taller than that, than 170lbs is not big by any standards.

I'd put money on it though, that if you really stick to it and actually start eating for size, then once you reach 170 you won't want to stop. You'll look at yourself and think...."Man I need bigger shoulders/pecs/triceps/etc"

again...welcome to T-Nation you are so lucky to have found it at your age. Read all the past articles you can from guys like Waterbury, Christian Thibadeau, Dave Tate, Chris Shugart etc,.

-DT

hey thanks for all the replies!

What i meant when i said 2 weeks was not 2 weeks of training, but in 2 weeks to see how i am coming along. like a 'update'.

Yes, I plan to eat around 2500-3000calories, i dont want to overdose tho.

Davidtower, I am around 5'10. For now, my goal is just to gain to 170ish lbs, then go from there.

What i meant when i said 2 weeks was not 2 weeks of training, but in 2 weeks to see how i am coming along. like a 'update'.

Davidtower, I am around 5'10. For now, my goal is just to gain to 170ish lbs, then go from there.

I also plan to take 20min naps every day to help muscle recovery.

Davidtower, I am around 5'10. For now, my goal is just to gain to 170ish lbs, then go from there. Getting "abecrombie" body would be a nice start.

Thanks for the warm welcoming! :slightly_smiling: