Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

…Robert Frost

“Ponder this on the tree of woe”
Thulsa Doom

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
cesliwakan wrote:
Throw it all away for the chance to go to LA and further my music career. Live like a Spartan (cheap shady place, cheap food, minimal material possessions) and simply dedicate all of my time to becoming a professional rock singer.

This is a no brainer. Give it all up for rock and roll. That’s what I did. A long time ago, I left an Ivy league graduate education for my music. I never regretted it for a moment. No one will ever write my biography, but it was one hell of a life.

[/quote]

WOW, way to go man. I know, Ive pretty much made the decision already. My drummer lives in LA already and Im trying to convince the other two to move down with me (otherwise its pointless?)

any advice on that one?

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
new2training wrote:
jakshafter wrote:
Unbrideled hedonism always leads to distruction. Look at some lives that follow it.

“The heart of man is desperatly wicked and above all things deceitful” Jer 17:9

Why do you associate bliss with hedonism, wickedness and deceit?

Thats a good point. My post was not to the OP but to people association Bliss with pleasure. I am sure Mother Teresa, MLK, Ghandi and the like found bliss in what they did but not so much temporal pleasure.

I identify bliss more with contentment in life. There are very few content people.[/quote]

the words content and stagnant are synonymous in my mind. i feel that (for me) comfort begets stagnation, and struggle begets passion.

so though i am comfortable i am left with the feeling that im missing out on being fully alive

Go for it man. I don’t want to be laying there dying someday saying “I wish I would have done that.”

[quote]cesliwakan wrote:
WOW, way to go man. I know, Ive pretty much made the decision already. My drummer lives in LA already and Im trying to convince the other two to move down with me (otherwise its pointless?)

any advice on that one?[/quote]

Good luck with that one.

You can’t force people to do what they don’t want to do, especially bass players, who tend to be fiercely independent and hard headed :^)

They’ll come around eventually.

And BTW, I’m not a man.

Sure go to LA man, just give your girl my contact info, j/k

I was in a similar situation a few months ago and took the job security but I still plan to having to re-make this decision and start my own gym. The difference between us is that it sounds like your opportunity in LA will not be there the second time around.

You do not ever want to look back on life and wonder what if.

A

[quote]cesliwakan wrote:
The reason I ask.

I am on the verge of a huge decision. A choice between;
A very comfortable salary at a great job that doesn?t require much of me. A nice living situation with a girl (an extremely beautiful fitness model) I love and have been dating 3 years. Friends and a living situation that is comfortable and great.

OR

Throw it all away for the chance to go to LA and further my music career. Live like a Spartan (cheap shady place, cheap food, minimal material possessions) and simply dedicate all of my time to becoming a professional rock singer.

One is what everyone strives for but doesn’t lend itself to a life worthy of a good story (not interesting or epic)

The other will probably be much harder and have the potential to live a life worthy of a biography.

There is the potential to just stay here and try to work both but I feel like to really do something extraordinary you must take extraordinary measures.

If you are curious check
http://www.punchfacemusic.com
[/quote]

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
cesliwakan wrote:

This is a no brainer. Give it all up for rock and roll. That’s what I did. A long time ago, I left an Ivy league graduate education for my music. I never regretted it for a moment. No one will ever write my biography, but it was one hell of a life.

[/quote]

Way to go Momma. If this is true, then it seems you lived the life you ought to have lived.

yeah…sorry

you are soooo right about our bass player, thats funny as hell.

[quote]cesliwakan wrote:
you are soooo right about our bass player, thats funny as hell.[/quote]

It takes one to know one.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
It’s just the word “bliss” that throws me. Where I roll, “Bliss out” means you’re tripping on Ecstasy. Last I heard, MDMA is still illegal.

Not that it stops anybody, though.[/quote]

Edit** This was not meant to be preachy.

Fortunately, I believe there are other ways to seek Bliss than chemically induced paths.

Although, they can work temporarily as well.

If you’ve got a seriouse chance at making it in LA then go for it. Just make sure you have a plan, and a backup plan.

Anything of worth, must be earned through determination, and sacrifice.

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
new2training wrote:
jakshafter wrote:
Unbrideled hedonism always leads to distruction. Look at some lives that follow it.

Thats a good point. My post was not to the OP but to people association Bliss with pleasure. I am sure Mother Teresa, MLK, Ghandi and the like found bliss in what they did but not so much temporal pleasure.

I identify bliss more with contentment in life. There are very few content people.[/quote]

I suppose there are as many paths to bliss as there are people. Hedonism may be a legitimate path for some.

For me, it was destructive over the course of years. Immensely enjoyable at times, but destructive none the less. I have decided that my path to bliss must lie elsewhere.

So I agree, at least in part with your original assertion. Although I don’t like absolutes.

It is an abstract concept but one that is worthy of discussion.

[quote]new2training wrote:
jakshafter wrote:
new2training wrote:
jakshafter wrote:

I identify bliss more with contentment in life. There are very few content people.

I suppose there are as many paths to bliss as there are people. Hedonism may be a legitimate path for some.

For me, it was destructive over the course of years. Immensely enjoyable at times, but destructive none the less. I have decided that my path to bliss must lie elsewhere.

So I agree, at least in part with your original assertion. Although I don’t like absolutes.

It is an abstract concept but one that is worthy of discussion. [/quote]

I too followed a destructive path for years. I think it fun in retrospect but i don’t think it was a fun as i remember when i was doing it.

Absolutes are a fact of life even if you don’t like them. This is why i don’t understand people who follow postmodern philosophies.

One of there core principles is “There is no absolute truth”, but this is a logical fallacy. The statement defeats itself. The assumption is that their statement is absolutely true.

It makes a much sense as me saying “I can’t type in English”

[quote]jakshafter wrote:
Absolutes are a fact of life even if you don’t like them. This is why i don’t understand people who follow postmodern philosophies.

[/quote]

I should not have written that I don’t like absolutes. I just usually avoid them because it decreases my chances of being wrong :wink:

I agree, I believe that there are some absolutes in life. When you find one, it is something special.

Perhaps in a metaphorical sense absolutes or Truth is the one of the main pathways to Bliss.

Anyway, I’ll look like a clown if I continue to wax philosophical so I’ll stop there.

Peace

Yea - I’m a big fan of Campbell. Took a mythology and folklore course to satisfy an english requirement and a lot of the subject matter was based on The Hero with a Thousand Faces…I’m a huge Star Wars fan so I always liked his connection to Lucas and the series in general…

I actually used to write for a few online entertainment/gaming magazines and I did an article on the whole hero’s journey as it relates to film, gaming and modern myth. I’ll post it if anyone is interested…

Oh, and your stuff is good. Kind of has a 311 vibe or Sublime…

You sound good dude. I really can’t tell you what you should decide though…

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Oh, and your stuff is good. Kind of has a 311 vibe or Sublime…

You sound good dude. I really can’t tell you what you should decide though… [/quote]

thanks SkyNett,

yeah some of our stuff is sublimish, other stuff has incubus influence, our harder stuff is more tool.
i think we need to define our sound a bit and really get a more specific target audience.

thank you again

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Yea - I’m a big fan of Campbell. Took a mythology and folklore course to satisfy an english requirement and a lot of the subject matter was based on The Hero with a Thousand Faces…I’m a huge Star Wars fan so I always liked his connection to Lucas and the series in general…

I actually used to write for a few online entertainment/gaming magazines and I did an article on the whole hero’s journey as it relates to film, gaming and modern myth. I’ll post it if anyone is interested…

[/quote]

Skynett,

You may have seen it already but there is a really cool program that has been on the History Channel this week that I think you would like.

Can’t remember the title but I’m sure it is on the History Channel website.
Its about how the Star Wars series relates to the Hero’s journey and some the historical events that influenced Lucas’s story.

Of particular note were Roman History and Nazi Germany.

I thought it was well done.

As far as I am concerned, bliss takes the form of a large glass of beer after a day’s hard work, maybe two glasses.

Life throws you a curveball now and then what ever you do, so you might as well find pleasure in little things.

TQB

[quote]TQB wrote:
As far as I am concerned, bliss takes the form of a large glass of beer after a day’s hard work, maybe two glasses.

Life throws you a curveball now and then what ever you do, so you might as well find pleasure in little things.

TQB[/quote]

Truth