Folic Acid

this may be a stupid question, i don’t know so I’ll ask anyway. I was reading the New Supplement Pyramid article by TC and he says that folic acid is an essential element for the body builder. What exactly is folic acid and what is a good source. Thanks in advance.

Folic Acid is a B vitamin that helps combat high homocysteine levels in the body. Eating a high protein diet causes a higher level of homocysteine because itis abyproduct of protein metabolism. You should take betwen 400-800mcg per day. You can find the pills at any healt food or supplement store for a cheap price. Most foods with B vitamins contain variuos amounts of folic acid. i am not exactly sure what food contains the highest amount. Anyone know?

With the way the American diet is presently, its unlikely we will be subjected to a vitamin/mineral deficiency. However, if you had to choose the most common it would be folic acid. Deficiency symptoms include anemia, GI upset, diarrhea, and the well-known phenomenon of “red tongue”. The best sources (I’m aware of) include legumes, green vegs and whole-wheat products. Also, almost 100% of f.a. can be lost from excess heat, so eat those veggies raw and store cold. Too much fa may cause problems such as CNS disorders, and insomnia.