T Nation

Foam Rolling at the Gym

Ouch. That sounds painful as shit dude. Whatever works for you, though.

You can make a whole assortment of tools relatively cheaply, versus buying the “over priced” versions on some sites

Here’s what I currently use

A black foam roller: for the back and when i’m feeling really sore on legs
Piece of PVC pipe: for legs and upper body (wrap athletic tape in a spiral around the pipe so that it has better traction)
An old wooden pin roller for baking: calves and feet mostly, hits it better than the balls I think
Basketball/ or medicine ball for upper body
3 tennis balls: one free and the other two tapes together for t spine mob and joint hinging
3 baseballs: one free and the other two taped together just for joint hinging

and when you’re feeling like really digging in and making yourself cry, barbell set up on safety rails

Other than the foam roller the whole setup cost about $10

Pain makes you beautiful

I’m planning to buy a PVC or this http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=CT&pid=3753&cid=

What do you guys recommend?

Okay so I’ve heard about these foam rollers at the gym I workout at. My question is “What is the foam roller for?” Obviously I’m new to this, worked out for about a year straight seven or so years ago then I quit. Got back into it the start of this year and have decided that I want it to be part of my life style till I can’t do it any longer. Thanks in advance.

I think the idea behind foam rolling is to release tension in muscles, kind of like a massage. Supposedly it also breaks down old scar tissue so it can be removed from the body.

There are plenty of articles and pictures on how to foam roll if you do a search, but basically it involves “sandwiching” a specific muscles between the rest of your body weight and the foam roller, and then rolling back and forth on that muscle.

Lots of people swear by it, but to be fair I haven’t seen a lot of scientific literature on the subject that proves it is really all that beneficial. I have tried foam rolling myself, and I didn’t really care for it. I’m not unusually tight or immobile before/after my workouts, though. I think a lot of people do it because it’s basically a “poor man’s massage.” It just feels good.

When my muscles are feeling a bit tight or sore, I usually just get my girlfriend to give me a massage. Works a lot better than foam rolling :slight_smile: