Foam Rollers

Hi,

I’ve been foam rolling for a couple months and there are some body parts that just don’t feel like they get worked as much as they used to, like my back and hamstrings. Will getting a foam roller with a smaller diameter be advantageous? Or should I stick with the same size roller?

Thanks.

Eric Cressey wrote a second excellent article on foam rolling that complimented the first one that he wrote. He basically said that foam rolling, just like weight lifting, requires progression. He suggested that you use a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball. I currently use both to great advantage.

You could also try rolling one leg at a time so that you can provide more pressure. I would recommend that you search for the article by Eric Cressey and get yourself a lacrosse ball.

-Mark

[quote]Baldr wrote:
Hi,

I’ve been foam rolling for a couple months and there are some body parts that just don’t feel like they get worked as much as they used to, like my back and hamstrings. Will getting a foam roller with a smaller diameter be advantageous? Or should I stick with the same size roller?

Thanks.[/quote]

Tennis Ball, then
Golf ball, then
Back Buddy

[quote]Mwschwab wrote:
Eric Cressey wrote a second excellent article on foam rolling that complimented the first one that he wrote. He basically said that foam rolling, just like weight lifting, requires progression. He suggested that you use a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball. I currently use both to great advantage.

You could also try rolling one leg at a time so that you can provide more pressure. I would recommend that you search for the article by Eric Cressey and get yourself a lacrosse ball.

-Mark [/quote]

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll look into a tennis/lacrosse ball. Do you do both of these for your entire body? Do you do them in addition to a foam roller?

I already roll one leg at a time, and every position I do I already manipulate it to put the most pressure on the desired bodypart to be rolled.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Tennis Ball, then
Golf ball, then
Back Buddy
[/quote]

So your saying use a tennis ball for my back, and then a golf ball for my back? All alongside a foam roller? Sorry, you weren’t very clear.

The way I think about it, foam rolling is about causing yourself as much pain as possible. ( I understand that this is not the main aim, but it sure feels like it.) You can use the lacrosse/tennis ball on any part of your body that you already roll.

If I remember correctly Eric said that you should avoid the lumbar spine because we do not desire mobility there. The other poster was suggesting a progression for you. Once a tennis ball no longer hurts/works then move onto a lacrosse ball, and then eventually onto a golf ball.