Foam Roller With DOMS?

Will using a foam roller on DOMs help? Or is it not advisable?

helps me.

-chris

Yes it will.

Warming Down and stretching after a workout will help more.

its kickass, i have a pvc tube and after a heavy workout i go home and just relax and roll on it, also the two tennis balls taped together work great, i think it really helps with back pain and posture. also dont stretch your lumbar too much, you want it to be stable and not have lordosis. i know im just spewing the what the tnation articles say… whatever im a whore

[quote]FightingScott wrote:

Warming Down and stretching after a workout will help more. [/quote]

No. Stretching will not prevent DOMS. It’s a myth…

“It has been suggested in the lay literature that static stretching and/or warm-up will prevent the occurrence of Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). The primary purpose of this study was to determine the effects of static stretching and/or warm-up on the level of pain associated with DOMS. Sixty-two healthy male and female volunteers were randomly assigned to four groups: (a) subjects who statically stretched the quadriceps muscle group before a step, (b) subjects who only performed a stepping warm-up, (c) subjects who both stretched and performed a stepping warm-up prior to a step test, and (d) subjects who only performed a step test. The step test (Asmussen, 1956) required subjects to do concentric work with their right leg and eccentric work with their left leg to voluntary exhaustion. Subjects rated their muscle soreness on a ratio scale from zero to six at 24-hour intervals for 5 days following the step test. A 4x2x2 ANOVA with repeated measures on legs and Duncan’s New Multiple Range post-hoc test found no difference in peak muscle soreness among the groups doing the step test or for gender (p greater than .05). There was the expected significant difference in peak muscle soreness between eccentrically and concentrically worked legs, with the eccentrically worked leg experiencing greater muscle soreness. We concluded that static stretching and/or warm-up does not prevent DOMS resulting from exhaustive exercise.”
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=2489863&ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

“The present study sought to investigate the effects of preexercise stretching on delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), i.e. soreness, tenderness and loss of muscle force, that usually occurs after strenuous or unaccustomed eccentric exercise. Ten female volunteers performed 10 sets of 10 maximal isokinetic eccentric contractions for knee flexion with both legs after a 5-min ergometer cycling warm-up. Prior to the exercise for one leg, randomly chosen, 4 x 20 s of static stretching for the hamstring muscle group was implemented. Rated soreness, tenderness on algometer pressure and loss of maximal eccentric contractile force was evaluated preexercise and 24, 48 and 96 h postexercise. The exercise bout produced severe DOMS, with parameters peaking and troughing at 48 h postexercise. However, no significant differences were found, regarding any of the parameters, when comparing stretched and nonstretched legs. The present study thus suggests that preexercise static stretching has no preventive effect on the muscular soreness, tenderness and force loss that follows heavy eccentric exercise”
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=10407930&ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

[quote]Timme wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Warming Down and stretching after a workout will help more.

No. Stretching will not prevent DOMS. It’s a myth…

“It has been suggested in the lay literature that static stretching and/or warm-up will prevent the occurrence of Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). The primary purpose of this study was to determine the effects of static stretching and/or warm-up on the level of pain associated with DOMS. Sixty-two healthy male and female volunteers were randomly assigned to four groups: (a) subjects who statically stretched the quadriceps muscle group before a step, (b) subjects who only performed a stepping warm-up, (c) subjects who both stretched and performed a stepping warm-up prior to a step test, and (d) subjects who only performed a step test. The step test (Asmussen, 1956) required subjects to do concentric work with their right leg and eccentric work with their left leg to voluntary exhaustion. Subjects rated their muscle soreness on a ratio scale from zero to six at 24-hour intervals for 5 days following the step test. A 4x2x2 ANOVA with repeated measures on legs and Duncan’s New Multiple Range post-hoc test found no difference in peak muscle soreness among the groups doing the step test or for gender (p greater than .05). There was the expected significant difference in peak muscle soreness between eccentrically and concentrically worked legs, with the eccentrically worked leg experiencing greater muscle soreness. We concluded that static stretching and/or warm-up does not prevent DOMS resulting from exhaustive exercise.”
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=2489863&ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

“The present study sought to investigate the effects of preexercise stretching on delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), i.e. soreness, tenderness and loss of muscle force, that usually occurs after strenuous or unaccustomed eccentric exercise. Ten female volunteers performed 10 sets of 10 maximal isokinetic eccentric contractions for knee flexion with both legs after a 5-min ergometer cycling warm-up. Prior to the exercise for one leg, randomly chosen, 4 x 20 s of static stretching for the hamstring muscle group was implemented. Rated soreness, tenderness on algometer pressure and loss of maximal eccentric contractile force was evaluated preexercise and 24, 48 and 96 h postexercise. The exercise bout produced severe DOMS, with parameters peaking and troughing at 48 h postexercise. However, no significant differences were found, regarding any of the parameters, when comparing stretched and nonstretched legs. The present study thus suggests that preexercise static stretching has no preventive effect on the muscular soreness, tenderness and force loss that follows heavy eccentric exercise”
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=10407930&ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

[/quote]

Why Would You ever Believe anything the government published?

Why Would You ever Believe anything the government published?[/quote]

lol. YEAH! damned government conspiracies to prevent the population from stretching after a workout, therefore getting real real real real sore the next day, not returning to the gym, and then staying home and eating more pre packaged products filled with hidden soy.

Then they become obese and pay some rich doctor a few grand to get lipo, or a stomach staple, and the rich doctor gets richer while the poor, obese, non-post-exercise-stretcher gets poorer. DAMN THIS REPUBLICAN CONSPIRACY MACHINE, DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!

Well aggressive stretching HELPS me with soreness, but certainely doesn’t take it away. Here’s an interesting Q&A from Elite that covers this topic briefly and how it might help if ways you didn’t even think

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=61211&tid=4

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
Well aggressive stretching HELPS me with soreness, but certainely doesn’t take it away. Here’s an interesting Q&A from Elite that covers this topic briefly and how it might help if ways you didn’t even think

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=61211&tid=4

[/quote]

I dont think it helps you :slight_smile: Its all in your head my friend. I have stretched alot and I does nothing to prevent DOMS.

Stretching is good for those with bad mobility.

Why Would You ever Believe anything the government published?[/quote]

I hope that you are Ironic… Stretching does nothing for preventing Muscle soreness.

[quote]Timme wrote:

I dont think it helps you :slight_smile: Its all in your head my friend. I have stretched alot and I does nothing to prevent DOMS.

.[/quote]

Well the stretching I’m doing is very aggressive weighted stretching so it can’t quite be classified in with most. All I know is if I don’t stretch after training a muscle then the soreness stays around for longer and more painfully, so that’s all the science I need.

I read the abstracts you posted(after I posted haha), they talked about static stretching prior to exercise which I would probably agree doesn’t have much effect on recovery. But I train a muscle and stretch agressively(think 50 lb dumbbell flys for 90 seconds ) immediately after. Those types of stretches aren’t even comparable to what they had these subjects do.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

Why Would You ever Believe anything the government published?

lol. YEAH! damned government conspiracies to prevent the population from stretching after a workout, therefore getting real real real real sore the next day, not returning to the gym, and then staying home and eating more pre packaged products filled with hidden soy.

Then they become obese and pay some rich doctor a few grand to get lipo, or a stomach staple, and the rich doctor gets richer while the poor, obese, non-post-exercise-stretcher gets poorer. DAMN THIS REPUBLICAN CONSPIRACY MACHINE, DAMMIT ALL TO HELL![/quote]

That’s fuckin’ right!

sorry to revive a dead topic, but the other day i did some extreme concentration curls for my bi’s and overloaded using negatives beyond failure… and from my experience the pain i felt then would’ve equated to some intense DOMS the next day.

However! I did some hardcore stretching of my bi’s afterwards and i was shocked to find that the next day there was almost no pain at all. In contrast, a few sets of heavy BB curls will give me a nice soreness the next day…

To me that’s enough proof that POST exercise INTENSE stretching will reduce DOMS.

BTW those articles were refering to PRE-exercise static stretching… who the fuck does that anyway?

For those of you checking out this old topic, i just wanted to update you. Foam rolling is not stretching, its self myofascial release, a form of massage and is great for sore muscles. The downside is that it hurts like a bitch when doing it. It is true that static stretching does jack shit for decreasing soreness and/or preventing injuries. Dynamic stretching post exercise is much better for improving flexibility and “possibly” decreasing soreness.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
I read the abstracts you posted(after I posted haha), they talked about static stretching prior to exercise which I would probably agree doesn’t have much effect on recovery. But I train a muscle and stretch agressively(think 50 lb dumbbell flys for 90 seconds ) immediately after. Those types of stretches aren’t even comparable to what they had these subjects do. [/quote]

Good thing you took the time to read it, b/c that’s an important distinction.

Stretching pre or PWO will have different effects obviously.

And stretching PWO will help alleviate some of the potential DOMS

shit, just noticed how old this topic is.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
scottiscool wrote:
I read the abstracts you posted(after I posted haha), they talked about static stretching prior to exercise which I would probably agree doesn’t have much effect on recovery. But I train a muscle and stretch agressively(think 50 lb dumbbell flys for 90 seconds ) immediately after. Those types of stretches aren’t even comparable to what they had these subjects do.

Good thing you took the time to read it, b/c that’s an important distinction.

Stretching pre or PWO will have different effects obviously.

And stretching PWO will help alleviate some of the potential DOMS[/quote]

Let’s just conclude that it doesn’t work the same for everyone. For example, I am always ridiculously sore. I always do dynamic warmups, I started PWO static stretching in order to try and reduce DOMS, and I foam roll usually once or twice a day. None of which reduced my levels of DOMS at all. I’ve megadosed BCAAs and found them to have no impact on my soreness.

I have however found that foam rolling aggressively and for a longer than usual duration, reduced my soreness temporarily. The morning after I did this my DOMS was far worse for whatever reason (it was the 3rd day after the workout as opposed to the 2nd which is when my DOMS peaks). I’m baffled when it comes to DOMS.

bro maybe you should eat more protein and get more sleep son

[quote]schultzie wrote:
bro maybe you should eat more protein and get more sleep son[/quote]

I had a feeling someone would say this haha. The thing is, being a student my life isn’t too busy per se. I get easily 10 hours or more of sleep at night (bar weekends when inevitably social events interfere) and I follow a low carb diet resulting in around 300 grams protein a day and a shit load of fat.

However as you said even more protein might be the key. Although I don’t relish in the idea of shoveling down even more cheese and steak.