Foam Roller Size

I train and all that stuff, however I don’t do any structured warm ups. I want to start, as well as get a foam roller.

My question is what size do those of you who have one recommend? Any big advantages for paying more for the 3’ long roller?

P.S. Please don’t say it’s three times the roller for twice the price.

Thanks!

A longer roller makes it easier to do a bit more. As an example, you have to angle it for some parts of your body. If it is longer, you can roll over it and cover the whole area (lats is an example).

Other than that, you could do it with a smaller one, but a 1 foot roller really doesn’t do much unless you are only going over your ITB or calves.

i got a 4" pvc pipe out of a dumpster at a worksite that is roughly 3’ long. seems to work well as a roller for me and it was free. i imagine you could pick it for cheap from home depot or some place like it.

anyone know of any reason why i should not be using this in place of an actual foam roller?

Okay, good stuff Arioch, thanks.

koffea, I was thinking about rigging one up as well, but didn’t really feel like it, hahaha.

[quote]koffea wrote:
i got a 4" pvc pipe out of a dumpster at a worksite that is roughly 3’ long. seems to work well as a roller for me and it was free. i imagine you could pick it for cheap from home depot or some place like it.

anyone know of any reason why i should not be using this in place of an actual foam roller?[/quote]

It hurts more. Of course, I’m trying to work my way up to the PVC pipe.