T Nation

Foam Roller Hurts My Lats

how is it that u should use the foam roller to ur lats? I mean, whenever i do it, i always seem to get sharp pain from the side; lots of times, i feel it in my ribs and some other bone next to the lats (dont know name of it).

Ive already read up on the feel better for $10 article and still dont see how to do it. i really can’t see anyone do it without pain.

Are your arms across your chest?

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
how is it that u should use the foam roller to ur lats? I mean, whenever i do it, i always seem to get sharp pain from the side; lots of times, i feel it in my ribs and some other bone next to the lats (dont know name of it).

Ive already read up on the feel better for $10 article and still dont see how to do it. i really can’t see anyone do it without pain.[/quote]

It hurts. Get used to it, it’s probably referred pain.

This is how you roll your lats… Slightly on your side (probably not as much as the guy in the photo). If it hurts in one particular spot, stay on it til the pain subsides…

As stated…it hurts (often like hell at first) stick with it. Not only will you get used to it, you will get the bebfits from it.

Poor baby.

Jesus man the whole process of building muscle requires pain. As a matter of fact, everything worth while usually involves pain. If you can’t handle the foam roller then you might want to limit your goal setting to somewhere along the pink dumbell rack!

By the way, I realize that there are certain injuries that would prevent someone from using a foam roller. However, illnesses such as a vaginal infection do not count as one of those injuries.

thing is, i dont think its the muscle that hurts - i already know what that feels like. my chest has adapted through this pain and can tolerate it much more. however, i dont feel the lats hurting, it feels more like bone aching.

If I recall from the Cressey article about foam rolling, you are NOT supposed to use the foam roller on any area without a significant amount of muscle (like the lower back for some people). Therefore, I can’t imagine rolling your ribs can be a good thing…

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:

Ive already read up on the feel better for $10 article and still dont see how to do it. i really can’t see anyone do it without pain.[/quote]

I can’t believe people are still responding to your posts. You’re the guy who was going to give up “the bodybuilding lifestyle” because it was too hard.

Guess what – if you want to be the BEST at anything, you will experience a lot of pain. Talk to people about the sacrifices they made to build their bodies or become a successful businessperson. Lots of long hours and hard work are involved.

You are clearly looking for the easy way out. You will never be anything but mediocre unless you chance your attitude.

i use an aluminum roller.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i use an aluminum roller. [/quote]

PVC, baby.

[quote]alownage wrote:
swivel wrote:
i use an aluminum roller.

PVC, baby.[/quote]

…with sandpaper and thumbtacks glued on the outside. Those really help to break up that scar tissue…according to Chuck Norris.

You need to develop lats before you can roll them.

[quote]alownage wrote:
PVC, baby.[/quote]

Fuck yeah. 3’ rollers for you and 2 friends for $5. Can’t beat it.

-Dan