Foam Roller = Huge Bruises?

I did the foam roller for the first time last week. I did it on my hamstrings and it hurt. I also did it on my lower back.

This week I have BUGE bruises on my hamstrings where I am tight. It is where the muslce is ‘knotted’ in the back of the hamstring where it is the most tight and firm.

We are talking about a deep red and dark purple and black spot the size of my palm on my middle hamstring on both legs.

Its almost a little scary

The first time I did foam rolling on my legs I didn’t get bruises but the next couple of days I had full on DOMS as though I’d done a heavy leg workout. Took me by surprise.

Sounds like you’ve just overdone it a little. As long as the bruises are clearing up I wouldn’t worry.

I wouldn’t roll again until they’re healed - and maybe ease into it a bit more gradually next time.

Then again the original article warned that Those with circulatory problems and chronic pain diseases (e.g. fibromyalgia) should NOT use foam rollers.

You might want to ask MR or EC in the locker room just in case.

nothing to worry about.

and don’t roll the low back, only as far down as is covered by muscle.

and of course by “BUGE” you meant “HUGE” right? : )

When I first used the foam roller it hurt like hell for a few days and I thought I was going to get bruised, but I didn’t. Don’t know why some people bruise easier than others.

I would definitely ask someone who is qualified about that because that does not seem normal. I’ve been rolling for about 3-4 where 2 of those months were foam rolling twice a day and I still feel pain from foam rolling, not nearly as bad as when I started though. It will get better, but I would see someone about that.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Been using one for about nine months now. It hurt like the dickens the first few weeks although no bruising.

Now it’s aggravating because I can’t get it to hurt anymore. And I want it to…a little.[/quote]

My friend told me he got the “black” one, which I assume is:
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_rnd_E_46

He says it is harder than the white ones. I actually need to get a new one so I will be ordering that soon. I’ll let you know how it compares.

Why shouldn’t you roll your lower back? I heard that you shouldn’t stretch your lower back, as it should be trained for stability (not mobility), but you can roll it instead if it gets tight…

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Why shouldn’t you roll your lower back? I heard that you shouldn’t stretch your lower back, as it should be trained for stability (not mobility), but you can roll it instead if it gets tight…[/quote]

When you roll your lower back you want to avoid rolling your spine. Most people do not have much development so it is important to be careful not to roll the spine.

You may have overdone it somewhat, but people bruise differently. I had a minor surgical procedure and the nurse put a thin sleeve on my arm where the blood pressure monitor cuff was. I asked why and she said that many people bruise due to the cuff inflating multiple times during the procedure