FNR's Training Log

As the gyms in my area are open again I figured I would finally start a training log here.

Some background information about me:

• 29 years
  • German
  • 177cm (5’9?)
  • 75.6kg (167lb)

Before the shutdown mid-March I weighed 84kg (185lb), but I wanted to lose some bodyfat anyway so I used that time.

In 2019 I did my first competition in kickboxing and in powerlifting.

My numbers in powerlifting at the meet in August 2019 weighing in at 78.5kg (173lb) were:

• Squat: 140kg (309lb)
  • Bench: 105kg (231lb)
  • Deadlift: 175kg (386lb)
  • Total: 420kg (926lb)

This was a non-sanctioned meet at a local powerlifiting club with IPF rules regarding lift execution.

Current goals are getting back into training again, lifting three days a week full-body on Mo-We-Fr, kickboxing (currently without contact due to the pandemic) on Tue-Thu and hiking on the weekends.
Not following any program right now, just getting back.

As the gyms reopened last Monday I will start the log from there.

Monday 08.06.2020

• Warm-up: Cycling to the gym, then Agile 8, Box jumps
    Box Jumps felt pretty good.

I set the weights of the big movements to 80% of the 5RM I tested arround February and started with bodyweight in the chins and dips with a goal of 12 reps in the first set. Rep scheme in the main movements is based of Cody Lefever’s “General Gainz” concept (work up to a RM, follow-up sets or singles afterwards).

• Squat: Work up to 105kg x 5 (~1 rep left in the tank) then 5 follow-up singles at the same weight. Rest time after the 5RM set: 3min, rest between the singles 2min.
    Squats felt really heavy and moved very slow. Hopefully this will get better soon.

• Bench: Work up to 75kg x 6(~1 rep left in the tank) then 6 follow-up singles at the same weight. Rest time after the 6rm set: 3min, rest between the singles 2min.
    Bench felt fine.

• Chin-ups: Bodyweight x 12 (many reps left in the tank), then 4 follow-up sets with 6 reps. Rest time after the 12RM set: 2min, rest between follow-up sets: 1min
    I did some pull-ups during the shutdown at a local playground with a way thicker and slicker bar so this was pretty easy.

• Dips: Bodyweight x 12 (many reps left in the tank), then 4 follow-up sets with 6 reps, Rest time after the 12RM set: 2min, rest between follow-up sets: 1min.
    I also did some dips at the playground each week, so this was again pretty easy.

• Sit-ups: Used a sit-up bench which looks kind of a reverse back extension bench? 3 sets of 20 at bodyweight, rest time 1min between sets.
    Fun and easy.

• Neck curls and neck extension, 100 reps in 3 sets each, rest time 1min between sets.
    I completely skipped neck work during the shutdown so this was a bit awkward.

Nice training to ease into it. The squats felt really heavy and slow, this will probably need some time to get used to again.
The gym was pretty empty the first day, pretty much only the regulars were there.

Tuesday: 09.06.2020

I was very sore, especially in the legs this day.

Kickboxing at the club will start next week, so this was just online-live-stream training, 35min of some technique drills and conditioning.
Afterwards I went for a short run (25min), which felt horrible on the first half due to the soreness and ok on the second half.

Wednesday 10.06.2020

• Warm-up: 10 minutes on the stationary bike, Agile 8

• Power Cleans: 60kg x 5, 5 follow-up singles. First time doing power cleans. Not easy but fun.

• Deadlift: Work up to 125kg x 5, felt too easy, did 130 x 5 (last rep was slow, but had one more in the tank).5 follow-up singles. Rest time after the 5RM set: 3 min, rest between singles 1 min.

• Incline Bench: Work up to 45kg x 8. I am really bad at incline benching, the 8th rep felt hard. Did 6 follow-up sets with 4 reps each, which were very easy. Rest time after the 8RM set: 2 min, rest between follow-up sets: 1min

• Barbell curls with a 20kg bar: 20/13/10/7, rest between sets: 1min

• Back extensions (bodyweight): 25/15/10, rest between sets: 1min