T Nation

Flywheel Belt Squat Machine

Came across this Exxentric belt squat, which is used by some college and pro teams, including the Baltimore Orioles and the University of Minnesota.

With a small footprint, it looks like it would be perfect for the garage gym, but is pricey at around $3100. One bonus is that it can also be used for rowing, triceps push downs, even lat pulls with a pulley attached to a chin up bar or rack crossbeam.

https://www.facebook.com/go.exxentric

Does anybody have experience with this flywheel technology? It is relatively new in the US, but I imagine the price could come down with more units being sold.

Part of the high cost is the associated software packages that can measure force, similar to a Tendo machine. If it could be purchased without this, the price should come down considerably.

I would try making one. It is only a pulley after all.

Thought about making one. But I do like the small footprint of this one. It can even be moved around, which is nice.

There is another, similar product made by Desmotec. It has a bigger footprint and costs more. I have heard it is used by some NFL teams.

Maybe Rogue fitness can buy this technology and introduce an affordable version sometime in the US. Would be a great alternative the full size Westside/Sorinex versions.

To be fair, the chain-standing-on-two-chairs version does get old.
I think you would need help getting up and down when gets heavy. I remember doing about 130kg and it was getting difficult to get off and on the benches.

I would love one of these pulleys. Is it for a gym or personal use.

[quote]decimation wrote:
To be fair, the chain-standing-on-two-chairs version does get old.
I think you would need help getting up and down when gets heavy. I remember doing about 130kg and it was getting difficult to get off and on the benches.

I would love one of these pulleys. Is it for a gym or personal use.[/quote]
Totally agree. The pulleys shown above look very expensive though for home use.

I think it is expensive mainly because it’s a new technology. Give it a few years, with some industry competition, to bring the price down. They do not look super-expensive to manufacture, especially when compared to a traditional belt squat machine.

For me this device completely defeats the primary benefit of belt squats over barbell squats i.e. unlike a barbell squat the belt squat causes no spinal loading. Looking at the link posted everyone using this device is wearing a harness that covers their shoulders, surely therefore causing a huge amount of force to go through the spine?? I do belt squats a lot & use the Ironmind Super Squats belt - all you need is a couple of plyo boxes & some regular plates, much cheaper & easier!

There are definitely pros and cons to the various types of belts used for squatting. The flywheel seems to be used a lot for physical therapy, so I am not sure how much force it places on your back.

Here are some pics of squat harness technology throughout the years:

Here is John Grimek with the harness lift (circa 1941):

Here is one from the Reading Barbell Co:

Elvis using a belt squat: