Flying to Seattle Soon

to play a couple venues and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things to do there or places I would not want to miss out on if you lived there or if you have visited…

I have no advice.

But wouldn’t it be cool if Chris Cornell showed up and sat down front?

Used to live right across Puget sound. Do the farmers market thing. I always enjoyed that, and there are plenty of things to do nearby with no real plans needed. There’s always the space needle if you need to stamp your 'been there card. An awesome place to visit. Double bonus if it’s not raining during your trip.

Edit: That was nearly 20 years ago, so experience may vary. I’d like to think it’s at least as good nowadays

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Used to live right across Puget sound. Do the farmers market thing. I always enjoyed that, and there are plenty of things to do nearby with no real plans needed. There’s always the space needle if you need to stamp your 'been there card. An awesome place to visit. Double bonus if it’s not raining during your trip.

Edit: That was nearly 20 years ago, so experience may vary. I’d like to think it’s at least as good nowadays[/quote]

Hey BL

Did you immerse yourself in the hot music scene there at the time?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

Edit: That was nearly 20 years ago, so experience may vary. I’d like to think it’s at least as good nowadays[/quote]

Hey BL

Did you immerse yourself in the hot music scene there at the time?[/quote]

LOL, kicking myself hard for that one. I was there 91-92 and didn’t really pay tons of attention to it. Hit the clubs there and caught some great undergrounds bands, but mostly missed out on the likes of Screaming Trees, AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Green River, etc… By the time I realized how big they had become, they weren’t playing for a $5 cover anymore :). Hindsight… Doh!

space needle, meet Chris, avoid the rain, see the new music scene… sounds very k0ol, sorry you missed that great scene Biglifter.

Pearl Jam was hanging in Texas in '91. At least they were when I met them (at a concert w/ Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers for $11 - poster at Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame).

I’m from Australia but visited last year and knew some Seattle locals. Very cool city, def has a unique vibe. Def recommend Pike Place Market, EMP, water activities on Lake Union, Kerry Park (best scenic views of the city IMO, better than the Needle), Underground Tour (if you’re into that sort of thing).

How long will you be in town? And where are you playing?

Eat at Serious Pie. One of the best pizza joints (gourmet pizza’s) in the country and a unique, fun environment.

[quote]Prof wrote:
How long will you be in town? And where are you playing?[/quote]

Wed leaving at 6am arriving at 9

Until Monday morning leaving at 6 back to LA.

I’ll be playing at Teen Challenge on Friday night… it’s a men’s home for people recovering from drugs and alcohol. I’ve been sober 6 years tomorrow so I’ll be sharing my song and story hoping to offer some hope.

[quote]GuerillaZen wrote:
Eat at Serious Pie. One of the best pizza joints (gourmet pizza’s) in the country and a unique, fun environment.[/quote]

I’ve been severely low carbing it and living of off greens meats and MAG-10 pulses… Needless to say I love pizza and I look forward to it. I’ve also heard the Chinese food is amazing… Thoughts?

I lived in Seattle for 23 years, and maybe it’s because I saw it everyday, but you really don’t need to go to the Space Needle. It’ll cost you $20+ to go up it and that’s pretty much all you get.

Pioneer Square is a good bar/club scene (it’s just north of Safeco)

if you have a car Mt. Rainer is beautiful. The Boeing museum is interesting, a couple miles south of DT Seattle.

The Seattle underground tour is alright

Dicks drive in, and Red Mill are great local burger places.

[quote]Efuchs7 wrote:
to play a couple venues and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things to do there or places I would not want to miss out on if you lived there or if you have visited…

http://www.edfuchsmusic.bandcamp.com/ [/quote]
I lived in Seattle for 25 years and have been to just about every place possible.

First of all, there are three main sections of downtown: pioneer square, Bell Town, and Capitol Hill. Of those, Bell Town and Capitol Hill are the most worth your time. Pioneer Square is an expensive, young people’s meet market. Capitol Hill is the gay district and it’s actually the best place to go, according to many people who aren’t gay, because it doesn’t attract the fighters. There’s a great bar on Capitol Hill called Julia’s that has the best show in town, IMO.

If you go to the Pike Place market, remember that there are THREE levels to it and each one seems more ancient than the last. In addition, the market is attached to a hallway that walks past a bunch of specialty stores and exits out next to a Japanese tea store (which is fun to visit if you have a lady friend who might be impressed with blooming tea flowers). Halfway through this hallway, there’s a stairway leading down to the Pike Place Brewery.

Next, if you walk outside and go down the stairs, around and under the market, you will find a fun alley-way with a gum wall that opens at the bottom of the stair fountains. From there, you can walk to the waterfront and catch a ferry ride.

Everyone likes to ride the duck when they come to Seattle. I don’t know why. But apparently it’s great time. I’ve never tried it. It seems too silly (but they do tell you about a lot of fun things to do).

There’s also an underground tour you can take. Seattle is built on the Seattle that burned down in a fire nearly a century ago. You can take the underground tour to see that city.

What types of things do you enjoy doing? I have too many recommendations to keep listing like this. lol.

Oh, and I just saw again that you’re into music. You HAVE to see a show at The Show Box. NOT The Show Box Sodo, just the regular Showbox located next to Deja Vu.

Oh yes, and I remember a friend telling me a while back that they were disappointed with Seattle because they’d always heard that it was so beautiful and clean. Seattle isn’t that clean, but it has great culture and a FANTASTIC art scene. If you like music, pick up a copy of The Stranger (from any coffee house) and start looking up shows in the back.

On the first Thursday of every month (at least that’s what it was 2 years ago) there’s a city-wide artwalk where galleries throw their doors open, artists of all types show up, and everyone walks through large portions of the city checking it all out while socializing.

I would go to starbucks, its some local coffee shop that I don’t think exists in any other cities.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I would go to starbucks, its some local coffee shop that I don’t think exists in any other cities.[/quote]

lmao! Don’t do it! Go to cafe Vivace.

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I would go to starbucks, its some local coffee shop that I don’t think exists in any other cities.[/quote]

lmao! Don’t do it! Go to cafe Vivace.[/quote]

Only reason Starbucks is famous here is coz it’s the original. You’ll walk past it if you head to PPM. Incidentally a couple of doors down (on the corner) is the best Mac & Cheese place - worth a shot even if you don’t particularly like Mac & Cheese.

[quote]justrob wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

lmao! Don’t do it! Go to cafe Vivace.[/quote]

Only reason Starbucks is famous here is coz it’s the original. You’ll walk past it if you head to PPM. Incidentally a couple of doors down (on the corner) is the best Mac & Cheese place - worth a shot even if you don’t particularly like Mac & Cheese. [/quote]

A co-worker just told me about that Mac and Cheese place on Friday.