Flyes: Worthless?

Those types of flyes were described here in an article by jerry telle. I think he called them flyaways or something.

What do you mean by emphasing your pinky fingers??? Could you elaborate please. Thanks Chris

pretty much worthless, you cannot shape a muscle to any signifigant degree (genetically pre-determined), there are much better exercises for building a chest

It may not be a staple in your routine but the Db fly has its place (if done properly of course).
The one I love to watch people attempt to do is the cable fly. Most of these uneducated doofs think they’re actually training chest. I wonder why their anterior delts burn so bad after a heavy set?

When normally performing flyes, at top of the movement your palms would be facing, as well as knuckles would be straight - correct? Well, performing them the way I do (as char explained), at the top of the movement, the pinky side of your hands would be closer at the top of the movement. Hence, “emphasize the pinky”.

Does this help?

While it maybe true that you cannot dramatically change the shape a muscle through training, you can change how looks. For example doing an incline bench press affects the pectoralis major basically the same as a flat bench, but what it does do is involve the pectoralis minor to a greater degree. This is why people say that the incline press can “pump up your upper chest” or whatever. As far as flyes are concerned, I believe that flyes give my chest a “wider” look, particularily next to my delts. Now why this is, intercostals, serratus anterior, ect…I’m not sure, just my two cents. Best of luck.

Upper pecs are the clavicular head of the pec major, lower pecs are the sternal head of the pec major. The pec minor is totally separate and runs underneath the pec major between 3rd, 4th, and 5th ribs to the scapula. The beginning part of a supine dumbell pullover hits the pec minor, not any kind of flye. Developing it will make the upper chest fuller though.

From Gray’s Anatomy:

“The Pectoralis minor is a thin, triangular muscle, situated at the upper part of the thorax, beneath the Pectoralis major. It arises from the upper margins and outer surfaces of the third, fourth, and fifth ribs, near their cartilage and from the aponeuroses covering the Intercostalis; the fibers pass upward and lateralward and converge to form a flat tendon, which is inserted into the medial border and upper surface of the coracoid process of the scapula.”

“The Pectoralis major is a thick, fan-shaped muscle, situated at the upper and forepart of the chest. It arises from the anterior surface of the sternal half of the clavicle; from half the breadth of the anterior surface of the sternum, as low down as the attachment of the cartilage of the sixth or seventh rib; from the cartilages of all the true ribs, with the exception, frequently, of the first or seventh, or both, and from the aponeurosis of the Obliquus externus abdominis. From this extensive origin the fibers converge toward their insertion; those arising from the clavicle pass obliquely downward and lateralward, and are usually separated from the rest by a slight interval; those from the lower part of the sternum, and the cartilages of the lower true ribs, run upward and lateralward; while the middle fibers pass horizontally. They all end in a flat tendon, about 5 cm. broad, which is inserted into the crest of the greater tubercle of the humerus.”