T Nation

Fluid Intake and MAG-10

Ok now I have your attention…

I drink 3 MAG-10 a day and train with either Plazma or Anaconda,depending on how hard my workout is.

I know there are electrolytes in them but I find unless I am adding teaspoons of salt,I get dehydrated…

Skin gets thin and dry,no pump,joints hurt,headaches etc etc…also my BP changes,very high systolic and low diastolic.

IF I add sea salt ,say 3 teaspoons a day on top of what sodium is in my food,all is well…

Does anybody else have this problem?

Oh and I wrote this here cos CT I remember you mentioning on the Livespill that your BP went up with all the electrolytes in the drinks,thought you may have a take on what’s going on with me.

Doesn’t CT have a specific heart condition though? Maybe this is the result of another underlying problem? I’m curious myself though, so this is more of a bump haha

Yes he has mentioned that. But his went up and mine went down. Thing is my BP and heart rate are normal with more sodium…I wonder if its because of all the extra fluid I am now drinking. But its been a few months of trial and error.

So I’m getting about 8000-10000 mg of sodium a day now…

You could be urinating more, of course, that is a lot of fluids to take in, which can upregulate urinary volume. But I have never dehydrated using MAG-10… and I’m used up to 12 per day!

I am urinating more,though now with the extra sodium its what I would consider normal output.

I just wondered how others fared with the extra fluid?

As I said adding the extra sodium has fixed this and I feel fine now,however I am a little wary of adding so much salt longterm.

I went as far as to have bloods and urine tests done,no uti and bloods normal,even my sodium levels are normal on all that salt,so maybe I just need it?

[quote]musclesauck641 wrote:
I am urinating more,though now with the extra sodium its what I would consider normal output.

I just wondered how others fared with the extra fluid?

As I said adding the extra sodium has fixed this and I feel fine now,however I am a little wary of adding so much salt longterm.

I went as far as to have bloods and urine tests done,no uti and bloods normal,even my sodium levels are normal on all that salt,so maybe I just need it?
[/quote]

Perhaps, we don’t know anything about your training, you could be sweating like a crazy man beast for all we know. If adding salt to your food fixes your issues then i’d just call it a day and carry on. That’s my opinion.

I don’t sweat at all unless I add a bucket of salt and even then its not really sweat . I get the odd bead on my head that’s about it.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking but we are always told not to overdo sodium and 8- 10 grams a day is a HUGE amount.

Before I started drinking so much fluid I never had an issue.

Oh and how do I know its 8-10 grams a day,cos I count all salt added and what is in all my food and the Mag/Plazma and Anaconda.

Really my question was ,not about MAG-10 dehydrating…I put that title to get attention…

Its more if we are all drinking as much fluid as the tub says to make up the shakes with…does anyone else feel dehydrated?

I’m doing a diet experiment now, part of it involves drinking 6 MAG-10s per day. No dehydration. Urine color is clear to light yellow. That’s an easy way to spot dehydration or not getting enough water, which is why most people have dark urine after sleeping all night.

Painful joints and dry skin can also be caused by getting too little dietary fat.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

My urine was always totally clear and I was peeing every 45 mins! I have 80-110g of good fats a day so its not that.

Now with the extra salt its straw coloured like it should be. First thing its darker yellow .

I guess I just need more sodium than most,but it still has me perplexed…

Just wondered if anyone else was having similar issues.