Florida's Amendment 3

This hasnt gotten much national press, but in florida, I think we passed a pretty important amendment a few days ago. Amendment 3 limits lawyer fees on medical malpractice to a maximum of $250,000 plus legal fees. I think democratic or republican, this is a positive piece of legislation. Especially since politicians have been talking about it for years but have never stepped up to the plate.

Hopefully, this will be a successful model that other states will follow with.
Just wanted to inform you guys out there that may not know about it. This was the only issue that I agreed with Bush on, but I don’t think he would ever get it passed. Plus, I didn’t like his limit on total damages to $200,000 or whatever it was. I dont think you can put a price on someone’s leg lost to improper medical practice. I believe you limit what the lawyer can take, to eliminate (hopefully) lawyers pandering to anyone trying to push through lawsuits that dont belong in the system. Even if it doesnt, then the person who has suffered gets most of what the jury awards.

Sweet!

The Trial Lawyers were fighting hard against that one too.

Also McDonald’s is testing their new five chicken sandwiches in FL. I’m sure the toppings eliminate the goodness provided by a slab of chicken, but I suppose they’re trying. Florida really is trying out new stuff.

[quote]invinciblehero wrote:
Also McDonald’s is testing their new five chicken sandwiches in FL. I’m sure the toppings eliminate the goodness provided by a slab of chicken, but I suppose they’re trying. Florida really is trying out new stuff.[/quote]

On that one issue, I believe it is time for people to become accountable for their own actions. If I eat there, I ask for the mayo to be left off the sandwich. If people want to eat better, they will. Blaming their lack of constraint or health choices on Mc Donald’s is a little tired and lame. They do sell things that are not unhealthy. It isn’t like anyone in America truly thinks a quarter pounder with cheese and a large order of fries is great for their health. You don’t blame Mc Donald’s when a family containing two obese parents and three rolling pudgy kids waddles in for the 8th time that week. You blame the freaking parents.

As far as the amendment being passed, I think it is long overdue. Suing your doctor for malpractice because he sneezed during the procedure and this caused you emotional distress is the reason malpractice insurance is through the roof and why an office visit costs 200 bucks just to say “hi”.

Amen to this, but one thing worries me about our little amendment. If we cap the total monetary award for the ambulance-chasing attorneys, what’s going to stop them from trying to increase the number of cases they put in court to make up for the fact that they can’t weasel a cool million for one case?

You know what I’m looking forward to? A smaller number of lawyer billboards here in Tallahassee. They don’t even try to not say that they’re weasels. “ALL WE DO IS PERSONAL INJURY CASES” is the slogan for some of the most despicable assholes who practice law here.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

On that one issue, I believe it is time for people to become accountable for their own actions. If I eat there, I ask for the mayo to be left off the sandwich. If people want to eat better, they will. Blaming their lack of constraint or health choices on Mc Donald’s is a little tired and lame. [/quote]

I agree with that dude. Good point.