Florida Considering AZ Immigration Law

Like many of the other states, Florida is considering an immigration law similar to Arizona, but even stricter.

The majority of Americans want this law, but the politicians are still playing to the special interest groups.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/calls-continue-for-arizona-style-immigration-law-in-florida

NEW PORT RICHEY - Several Tampa Bay area politicians have joined the growing call for an Arizona style immigration law in Florida. The law would require police officers to determine if people, questioned in connection with a crime, were in the country legally.

The Arizona law is not unconstitutional, according to Sen. Mike Fasano, (R) New Port Richey.

“It’s a secondary offense,” said Fasano. “If police stop you for a crime, they will also question you about your immigration status and they should.”

Pasco County Sheriff Bob White made a similar call last week after two illegal immigrants were arrested on drug and weapons charges. “Florida needs a law like Arizona’s,” White said. “Maybe a little stricter.”

White says many of the people associated with the county’s largest cocaine bust in history, 52 kilos, were in the country illegally.

The first bay area politician to call for an Arizona type immigration law in Florida was Todd Marks, a Westchase lawyer running for the Florida House. Since then the number of supporters has grown and now includes Gubernatorial candidates Rick Scott and Bill McCollum.

Among its major provisions, the Arizona law requires immigrants to carry identification documenting their immigration status. State Representative Will Snyder (R) of Stuart spent 20 years as a police officer in Miami and is planning to introduce the bill to the legislature. He admits it will be challenging to craft a law that protects the rights of legal immigrants and citizens while ending a look-the-other way approach to illegal residents living and working in Florida.

â??There is no way would I want someone to be approached solely because of their ethnic background,â?? said Snyder, considered a moderate among House Republicans. â??There is no perfect system in the world, but with careful drafting, we can make a clearer line.â??Florida would be among a growing list of at least a dozen states to contemplate an Arizona-like approach to curbing illegal immigration.

Along with southern border states, Georgia, Maryland and Ohio are among other states to at least consider the law.

Great, now I will have to look at a “Los Gators” jersey when Arkansas plays Florida. I hope every freaking state passes a law like this, then maybe the idiots in Washington will see that this is the peoples will.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Among its major provisions, the Arizona law requires immigrants to carry identification documenting their immigration status. [/quote]

I thought that was federal law that immigrants had to carry their green card.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

Among its major provisions, the Arizona law requires immigrants to carry identification documenting their immigration status. [/quote]

I thought that was federal law that immigrants had to carry their green card.[/quote]

The problem is, many states have not had law enforcement asking detained persons to prove they had the legal right to be in the US because it is such a touchy subject.

Seems kinda silly.

Just ask everyone who is detained by the police for cause, no discrimination then and a good start on solving some problems.

I’m still in shock that anyone even protests these laws.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

I thought that was federal law that immigrants had to carry their green card.[/quote]

It has been Federal Law for 70 years for non-citizens to carry legal documents on their person at all times.

Come on TN…

And now Massachusetts is on board…me thinks Obama might have misread the tea-leaves…

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/mass_senate_pas.html?comments=all#readerComm

If VA does this as well, northern VA will be a ghost town - lol (OK OK, it was an exaggeration!)

If the guy I am pulling for wins the governor race here you will be adding Iowa to this list.

On the news they said that almost 70% of the people are supporting the law, but the politicians said that the people don’t understand the ramifications of the law.

I wish Rick Perry would get on board here in Texas. He keeps saying it is a Federal Issue.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
And now Massachusetts is on board…me thinks Obama might have misread the tea-leaves…

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/mass_senate_pas.html?comments=all#readerComm[/quote]
I wonder if the city of Boston will boycott Massachusetts now? I no longer do business with Boston proper because the city officials wants to boycott AZ

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/mass_senate_pas.html?comments=all#readerComm[/quote]
I wonder if the city of Boston will boycott Massachusetts now? I no longer do business with Boston proper because the city officials wants to boycott AZ[/quote]

A good question…if a state as liberal leaning as Mass is moving forward, the Dems might need to reconsider attaching themselves to the opposition.

The Los Angeles Times (which is the most liberal and useless newspaper ever) polled people about the AZ law, and I am shocked to see that 50% of the people here agree with the AZ law, and 43% oppose it. So you know, Los Angeles is about 40% Latino by population, and still have like the law, that is telling people something.

Majority are supporting

Study shows broad support for Arizona migrant law

(Reuters) - A solid majority of Americans back Arizona’s tough crackdown on illegal immigrants, while just 25 percent support President Barack Obama’s immigration policy which includes legalizing millions of unauthorized migrants, a study found on Wednesday.

U.S.

The controversial Arizona law passed last month requires state and local police, after making “lawful contact,” to check the immigration status of anyone they reasonably suspect is in the country illegally, and arrest those who cannot prove it.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer requested another meeting with Obama, he did not even respond to her. The White House sent a memo saying he is too busy. Apparently he has time to meet with a Utah soccer team, what an assclown.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer requested another meeting with Obama, he did not even respond to her. The White House sent a memo saying he is too busy. Apparently he has time to meet with a Utah soccer team, what an assclown.

http://intellectualconservative.blogspot.com/2010/05/obama-will-meet-with-soccer-team-but.html[/quote]

What an asshole. Again he shows the states that he has no interest in dealing with the immigration problem.

He also snubbed Arlington Cemetery. Mr. One Term.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

http://intellectualconservative.blogspot.com/2010/05/obama-will-meet-with-soccer-team-but.html[/quote]

What an asshole. Again he shows the states that he has no interest in dealing with the immigration problem.

He also snubbed Arlington Cemetery. Mr. One Term.[/quote]

Obama is a selfrighteous duechbag. He cares about no one but himself.

On the news they said that almost 70% of the people are supporting the law, but the politicians said that the people don’t understand the ramifications of the law.

[/quote]

Which news? And what poll?

I’d have to totally disagree with that (not the law itself).

I think when you combine the people who are happy that NO ONE is enforcing immigration policy (the universal amnesty people) with the people who would rather not see the states (and their LEOs) getting involved with what should be a federal issue/duty, I bet you have less than half the population supporting the law (by a long shot).

I’d be willing to give you that probably another 10-20% would support the law if they actually read it/understood it, but the immigration debate has gone the way of defense, abortion and the gun-rights: it’s entered irrational land, where neither side is willing to have a real debate on the issue, and everyone talks past eachother.

I think it’s unfortunate, because unlike, say abortion, which brings a bunch of difficult issues together (individual freedom, the meaning of “human” and “life”, right to privacy, exe.) this issue ought to be much simpler:

We have laws. Laws must be obeyed. If you don’t like the laws, elect people who agree with you and get them changed. This Arizona law ONLY deals with enforcement, which should avoid the issue entirely.

But it doesn’t, because it’s been made into a cultural issue. And both sides feed into it.