T Nation

Flooring for Home Weight Set

I’m building my home weight set, but I want to know if there is a type of flooring I should get. Would regular rubber flooring be good? Or is the flooring in weight rooms some type of special flooring?

I need to get some flooring laid down first before I get any weights (or a power rack), so the sooner I get this answer, the sooner I get started.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I’m building my home weight set, but I want to know if there is a type of flooring I should get. Would regular rubber flooring be good? Or is the flooring in weight rooms some type of special flooring?

I need to get some flooring laid down first before I get any weights (or a power rack), so the sooner I get this answer, the sooner I get started.[/quote]

Some thick rubber mats should do the trick. Use the search function, this has been discussed before.

I do remember that in most of those threads people recommended checking out farm supply stores for rubber mats.

The flooring they used at a new LA Fitness nearby is only 5/16" thick rubber. I don’t see how it can protect the floor with everyone dropping weights. It must work though. The standard answer on these forums is to get 3/4" stall mats from places like Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34608_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

So this is what most people say to get? It has those slightly raised parts on it though, thats not a problem?

I’m not sure if that’s what people buy as I don’t have a TS near me. I get mine somewhere else. The diamond plate finish is a little ugly but I don’t think it would matter much. They don’t say how thick it is. If it’s 3/4", it should be good.