T Nation

Floor Pressing Question

I just realised (from reading articles) that floor pressing is normally started at the top portion of the lift, lowering to the floor, then blasting up.

Does anyone start from the floor? Blast up, lower back down, re set, and repeat? If so, how did you find it?

My gym doesn’t have a power rack, so i need to set up steps to sit the bar / weights on, then climb under it and start.

For what it’s worth, it’s working well for me. But you’ll need to take that from someone quite inexperienced, especially in the strength game.

KPj

It would be a super pain in the ass to crawl under the bar assuming that you can fit. Plus, how exactly do you start from the floor? The plates don’t touch the floor in the bottom position unless you have really short forearms or you are doing a pseudo JM Press/Floor Press.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
It would be a super pain in the ass to crawl under the bar assuming that you can fit. Plus, how exactly do you start from the floor? [/quote]

It’s not that difficult for me to fit under the bar (maybe I shouldn’t admit that on this forum!).

I elevate the bar on aerobic steps (so the discs which are on the bar sit on steps) or boxes if i’m training at another gym close by (it’s a very low key PL gym).

So when i’m sitting under the bar, I put my Tri’s in position on the floor and it’s the perfect height to grab hold of the bar, get tight etc and blast up (hope that makes sense).

The reason I ask if anyone has done this is because I never thought anything of it. I actually started floor pressing purely to decrease ROM following a shoulder injury so never gave it much thought in terms of strength. Plus, this is the only way I can set it up for now - I’m used to improvising in my shitty gym.

Same with Rack Pulls - need to elevate my self up to the bar (it’s got a fixed squat rack, but no power rack where I can adjust pins etc).

KPj

Ohhh…that’s not really doing it off the floor. That’s more like a Floor Press/Rack Lockout combo. The really question is what do expect to get out of it by doing it this way.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Ohhh…that’s not really doing it off the floor. That’s more like a Floor Press/Rack Lockout combo. The really question is what do expect to get out of it by doing it this way. [/quote]

I expect to get as close to a floor press as possible under my current training conditions. Obviously, I realise NOW that it’s not a real floor press. Well…I am lying on the floor and my upper arms are in contact with the floor at the bottom part (start for me). The height the bar is elevated is actually perfect. Only difference I can see is that I start from the bottom. So yeah, floor press / rack lockout combo.

So I lose the elastic energy thing. Starting from a dead stop. I’m inclined to say that it would increase ‘Rate of Force Development’, but I may need to use lighter loads for that?

Also, I guess it has the similar benefits to ‘squats from pins’ where you squat, but start at the bottom position.

I don’t train Floor press exclusively. I have a little shoulder issue to think about so I Decrease ROM then increase it ever few weeks. So I train Bench press using board presses, floor press / lockout thing, close grips, and DB variations. I train full ROM mostly with DB’s (various grips), but I do ‘work down’ to full ROM straight bar benching with the BB. It’s working well just now, but like I said, i’m quite inexperienced so my gains have still to slow, and my numbers aren’t great yet.

I’m guessing it’s unheard of then. Could just call it a Floor Lockout. I did do some searches to see if I can find any reputable site show it as a variation to the floor press, but didn’t, hence the post.

KPj

If that is how you have to do them, then do them like that and don’t worry about it. As long as you are getting stronger, it doesn’t matter if it is called a pink kangaroo.

[quote] Matt wrote:
If that is how you have to do them, then do them like that and don’t worry about it. As long as you are getting stronger, it doesn’t matter if it is called a pink kangaroo.[/quote]

lol thanks. It’s working well so far. I can feel an improvement in all (horizontal) pressing when I go onto these.

My gym is really shit. You can get the job done. I am looking to change but I live in small part of a small country and not having much luck so far.

Onwards and upwards…

Just a suggestion if you want to do them the more normal way. Place the barbell with weights loaded on the end of the bench press itself (where you butt would go when you are benching). Then lie down with your head near the end of the bench on the floor. Now the bar should be in position so you can reach up, lift it off and out, bring it down until you touch the floor and go back up. This has worked for me when I didn’t have access to a power rack for a brief period.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Ohhh…that’s not really doing it off the floor. That’s more like a Floor Press/Rack Lockout combo. The really question is what do expect to get out of it by doing it this way. [/quote]

yeah a rack or pin press seems to be the equivalent to what he describes.
Here’s how I do it without a rack:
Load the bar and place it on the end of a flat bench, take my grip and have a spotter assist me in getting the bar in position (i.e. lock out) then lower to pause with my tri’s on the floor and blast up, repeat if going for a 3RM re-rack if going for singles.

How about DB floor press

DB Floor presses are an excellent exercise or have someone deadlift the weight and hand it to you. Probably should have a spotter anyway…

Thanks guys. Been travelling for a few days so only just seen these responses.

The idea of sitting the bar on the end of the bench is great. I never thought of that so will give it a try. Thanks!

I do DB floor press as well but I change program every 4 weeks so i’m using as many variations as I can.

And yes, I should have a spotter and I feel quite restricted when I don’t have one.

Really, the problem is that I train in this commercial gym. Just need to find a decent club.

KPj