Floor Press Off Bench

Does anyone think it’s a good idea/possible/practical to do floor press like this? - YouTube

I really want to include it in my routine I’ll be doing for the next 6 weeks but the squat rack I’d normally do it in is “out of order”. The above seems like it could cause some shoulder issues though or just general screw ups. He seems to just do a pullover with the weight.

Get a hand off if you can.

Since my gym does not have a power rack I’ve done something similar before, but I used to benches. This allows me to slide a bit between them and not have to reach that far back to get the bar. It also makes it easier to change the plates, since the bar is stable.

B.

[quote]BiP wrote:
Since my gym does not have a power rack I’ve done something similar before, but I used to benches. This allows me to slide a bit between them and not have to reach that far back to get the bar. It also makes it easier to change the plates, since the bar is stable.

B.[/quote]

Ah good call, I’ll definitely give that a shot, it seems much more practical. The only issue there is actually being able to tie up 2 benches at once lol. I guess if worse comes to worst I’ll use one and get a lift off or something.

[quote]BiP wrote:

B.[/quote]

Good fucking idea.

Also maybe using a normal bench and one of the adjustable ones as the second one, so as to knot tie up two adjustable benches, or even three if ur stealing a bar.

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:

[quote]BiP wrote:

B.[/quote]

Good fucking idea.

Also maybe using a normal bench and one of the adjustable ones as the second one, so as to knot tie up two adjustable benches, or even three if ur stealing a bar. [/quote]

Fortunately the one thing my gym seems to have enough of are adjustable benches. Half of them are shit, but still.
The problem with using two different kinds of benches could possibly be the difference in height. Unless the gym is crazy busy I would stick to using two benches of the same kind. Since it’s just for one exercise it’s not going to take too long. The setup does waste a minute or two, though.

B.

wat about using one f those preacher curl racks and two people for the lift off like this

that of course if you can find a pair of guys who knwo something about lifting and you can trust in…thats why i dont do them anymore,

hope your lucky and dont have to stand a gym where evne the staff in charge of the weighroom cant bench 225 neither spot correctly …
those are the people who gives bodybuilders a bad reputation

[quote]BiP wrote:

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:

[quote]BiP wrote:

B.[/quote]

Good fucking idea.

Also maybe using a normal bench and one of the adjustable ones as the second one, so as to knot tie up two adjustable benches, or even three if ur stealing a bar. [/quote]

Fortunately the one thing my gym seems to have enough of are adjustable benches. Half of them are shit, but still.
The problem with using two different kinds of benches could possibly be the difference in height. Unless the gym is crazy busy I would stick to using two benches of the same kind. Since it’s just for one exercise it’s not going to take too long. The setup does waste a minute or two, though.

B.[/quote]

Yea I don’t really mind a height different if it’s like 1-2in. since it won’t matter during the pressing, but either way it’s taking up 2 pieces of equipment at once. I tried it today between the 2 flat benches today and it seems good (with just the bar anyway), but I’ll have to go early otherwise I’ll be lucky to get even one.

[quote]zombiec wrote:
wat about using one f those preacher curl racks and two people for the lift off like this

that of course if you can find a pair of guys who knwo something about lifting and you can trust in…thats why i dont do them anymore,

hope your lucky and dont have to stand a gym where evne the staff in charge of the weighroom cant bench 225 neither spot correctly …
those are the people who gives bodybuilders a bad reputation[/quote]

Well then I’m still either needing 2 people or to pull it from behind.

I used to do these using a box squat stool. still unnerving, but you can get the head back farther.

Grab 2 benches from the DB area.
Put 1 to the left of the barbell bench
Put 1 to the right of the barbell bench
Setup on the barbell bench as usual
The 2 benches on the side will stop your arms, and now act as your floor.

[quote]gabex wrote:
Grab 2 benches from the DB area.
Put 1 to the left of the barbell bench
Put 1 to the right of the barbell bench
Setup on the barbell bench as usual
The 2 benches on the side will stop your arms, and now act as your floor.[/quote]

Great, then I’m using 3 pieces of equipment :confused:

Plus the benches here aren’t actually the same height as the normal bench

this is our floor press setup

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

Another proof that NOT having a power rack in a gym is ridiculous.

B.

[quote]BiP wrote:

Another proof that NOT having a power rack in a gym is ridiculous.

B.[/quote]

and we only have one. most of the time i have to kick the curlers and competitive shruggers out of it to use it.

Seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to me. I would wait til they fix the rack.

Personally I will be using this idea when I start my FP in the next week or so. Obviously you don’t use up kit or anything other people need at the time but it is better than nothing if the rack hasn’t got the required fitting for supports.

Hey meat, with a pause that long, why not just do pin presses or lay the bar on those spot platforms and press from there?

You seem like the kind of guy who does it all but I’ll as if you’ve ever done Reverse band floor presses? I like them so the bands are slack at the top and then load up a bit on the bottom to help get a little pop.

Oh, love your vids man…always a great motivator!

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

Hey meat, with a pause that long, why not just do pin presses or lay the bar on those spot platforms and press from there?

You seem like the kind of guy who does it all but I’ll as if you’ve ever done Reverse band floor presses? I like them so the bands are slack at the top and then load up a bit on the bottom to help get a little pop.

Oh, love your vids man…always a great motivator![/quote]

i like the long pause to remove the stretch reflex. i also like to support the weight in the bottom to help my paused competition bench . i’m not a huge fan of pin presses because of the high potential for injury. most people don’t preload the bar before the actual press. not preloading can tear up the shoulders and pecs.

never done reverse band floor press. i’ve done plenty of reverse band work but never those.

thanks. i’m glad you get something out of them.

i like the long pause to remove the stretch reflex. i also like to support the weight in the bottom to help my paused competition bench . i’m not a huge fan of pin presses because of the high potential for injury. most people don’t preload the bar before the actual press. not preloading can tear up the shoulders and pecs.

never done reverse band floor press. i’ve done plenty of reverse band work but never those.

[/quote]

Wow that was a really long pause. What do you mean exactly that people get injured when they don’t preload the bar before the actual press? As in, they don’t warm up with successively heavier weights?

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

preloading the bar is gradually adding pressure to it and then actually applying all the force to the bar. it’s much like what one should do when deadlifting- you pull the slack out of the bar before actually pulling with all your force. if one was to just jerk the bar instead of gradually applying force, a bicep can get torn. the same can happen if you just press against a bar set on pins. you can end up tearing a pec or delt.

[/quote]

Wow that was a really long pause. What do you mean exactly that people get injured when they don’t preload the bar before the actual press? As in, they don’t warm up with successively heavier weights?[/quote]