T Nation

Floor Press Higher Than Flat Bench

I’m following the Maximal Strength Program by Dave Tate and the bench exercise for the day is 3x3 Floor Presses at 70% of your 1RM bench weight. These should be hard but not to failure, i.e. a couple reps left in the tank for each set.

The problem I had is that in order to get what would be 3x3(+2) I had to go to 285lbs which is about 30lbs HIGHER than my 1RM. Is it normal for this kind of ratio or do I need to address a weakness when pressing off of my chest?

For the record I was using bent knees and an arched back which resembles a normal benching position. Using the alternate method with straight legs I can only do about 245lbs which is much closer to what I bench.

I can’t answer your question directly, because I’ve never done this program.

HOWEVER

floor presses are like… a five-board press? Unless your weak spot REALLY IS lockout, your floor press SHOULD be significantly higher than your bench. Think about all the frat-haz quarter-squatters with three plates. Full ROM would drastically decrease their poundage. Alternatively, working close to lockout increases poundage.

3x3 at 70% sounds like speed weight to me, which belies the idea of stopping short of failure. Like say, Haven’t read the program.

Your floor press should be just a little bit lower than your normal bench - maybe somwhere in the neighborhood of 10-15% lower - IF you get a good amount of leg drive while you bench. The floor press is supposed to eliminate the possibility of leg drive, which is not what you are doing as of now. Right now you are doing something much closer to a board press (b/c of the leg drive + short ROM).

Re-evaluate your bench press set-up and work from there.

Both Otep and thephantom are right in different contexts.

If you are a beginner, or you are advanced and not using gear usually your bench is weakest at the chest.
If you are an advanced powerlifter using gear you will find your weakness is your lockout.

I think Otep’s logic applies to you. It makes sense that your floor press is higher than your bench press.

[quote]Otep wrote:

floor presses are like… a five-board press? Unless your weak spot REALLY IS lockout, your floor press SHOULD be significantly higher than your bench. Think about all the frat-haz quarter-squatters with three plates. Full ROM would drastically decrease their poundage. Alternatively, working close to lockout increases poundage.
[/quote]

Thought the point of floor presses was that since you start from the floor you don’t get a stretch reflex and it makes the bottom of the movement harder, emphasis on the chest.