T Nation

Floating Deadlift-BTS

Hi coach,
just about to start cycle 2 of Bulgarian training simplified,(which is awesome). I just wanted a bit more info on the technique for the floating deadlift. eg how low to go, should you hold bottom pos. for x. seconds etc. Also what is the optimum height for a deficit deadlift?

I want to do this as off the floor is my weakness.

Thanks in advance, and any advice from other members will be much appreciated

[quote]masfonos wrote:
Hi coach,
just about to start cycle 2 of Bulgarian training simplified,(which is awesome). I just wanted a bit more info on the technique for the floating deadlift. eg how low to go, should you hold bottom pos. for x. seconds etc. Also what is the optimum height for a deficit deadlift?

I want to do this as off the floor is my weakness.

Thanks in advance, and any advice from other members will be much appreciated[/quote]

Foating deadlift: in the low position the bar is off the floor but at the same height relative to the body as to where it would be when starting from the floor. So the bottom of the plate would be in line with the bottom of your feet. You stop the bar and hold for maybe 1 second, no more.

Deficit deadlift, ideally about 2"

thanks coach

hey coach, another question in regards to counting the reps. Is the top position the starting point, lower to bottom and then back to top is 1 rep?

Thanks again

[quote]masfonos wrote:
hey coach, another question in regards to counting the reps. Is the top position the starting point, lower to bottom and then back to top is 1 rep?

Thanks again[/quote]

No. The start position is in the bottom. It’s just that instead of starting on the floor, you start 1" off of it.

So lift to 1-2" of ground, pause 1 sec, lift to lockout then lower to 1-2" off ground, pause 1 sec, lower bar or repeat for x reps. Sorry to be pedantic, but I couldn’t find any good video online. Thanks again coach

[quote]masfonos wrote:
So lift to 1-2" of ground, pause 1 sec, lift to lockout then lower to 1-2" off ground, pause 1 sec, lower bar or repeat for x reps. Sorry to be pedantic, but I couldn’t find any good video online. Thanks again coach[/quote]

Yes that’s it

awesome, many thanks