T Nation

Flipping a Car Someday

Hello gentlemen, so, since I was about 5 I have wanted to flip a car, I would like to now point out that I already know I am a huge distance away from this goal still but I was curious if anyone on here had done this or knows how one would train specifically to flip a car other than maybe flipping slightly elevated heavy tires,

Watching videos on youtube elicits more of a “holy shit thats a flipped car” than any real ability to gauge a single technique for doing so, so really what I am asking for are specific exercises to car flipping and if they require any very specific equipment, possible or suitable substitutes.
Thanks

The Kaz used to do explosive high pulls with heavy DBs and a hammer grip.

Svend Karlsen likes to use explosive upright rows.

Worked for some of the best, they could work for you.

I think strong biceps, although you should lift as little as possible with them, are in the highest priority for this feat of strength. Too bad cars are getting so heavy these days it’s getting down right impossible. Maybe we should think about flipping a moped car. :wink:

It’s not impossible… of course, it was also called vandalism so I don’t know that you’d want to.

How much do you deadlift? You’ll need to be able to deadlift about half of the weight of the car. High center of gravity and ground clearance (the higher you can get a grip with your hands, the more this will resemble a rack lockout) is good. Low weight is obvious.

It’s more like a tire flip than anything.

Found this video from a strongman comp a couple years ago. Thought it might be beneficial to this thread, either way i think its pretty cool

Those cars have handles. I think I recall a promotional video with a strongman (can’t recall who) flipping one from the rear of the car, pulling up the wheel well. Either way, I hope you live somewhere with small cars.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
It’s more like a tire flip than anything.[/quote]

It’s actually not. I did it in a competition this past summer. Heavy high pulls and cleans work really well as it is an odd high pull. The weight isn’t as evenly distributed as it is with a tire. I struggled on the car flip but can flip 800+ lb tires with ease.

[quote]majik wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
It’s more like a tire flip than anything.[/quote]

It’s actually not. I did it in a competition this past summer. Heavy high pulls and cleans work really well as it is an odd high pull. The weight isn’t as evenly distributed as it is with a tire. I struggled on the car flip but can flip 800+ lb tires with ease.[/quote]

But you have in fact flipped one right? Where are your main lifts at roughly and is there anything specific you would recommend such as say high pulls with a fat bar/grips or axle?

I don’t really do high pulls but I see no reason not to throw them in but how much weight should i be looking to handle on high pulls before I have a real shot at flipping a car. Appreciate it.

Also do you remember the model of the car?

This is from the 3rd contest I ever did… Im now a lightweight pro:

It was relatively easy… Tires are lower and harder… at the time was deadlifting around 500.

[quote]petrainer wrote:
This is from the 3rd contest I ever did… Im now a lightweight pro:

It was relatively easy… Tires are lower and harder… at the time was deadlifting around 500.

[/quote]

hahahahahaha!

I think it’s funny because I did the car flip at the same comp, different year.

Pulling about 500 is a pretty good ball park number. I found it wasn’t the deadlift that was hard, it was “clean” as it were. I wasn’t able to work it up my body like a tire.

Also, they replaced the car they flip, it’s more of a pain in the ass now from what I have seen.

These cars don’t have handles, how much more difficult would that make it?

My guess would be not too much…

But then again I’ve never flipped a car before :slight_smile: