Flipcollar's Gonna Bulk

I’ve been off the forums for a while, saw your avi picture in powerlifting and said to myself “shit, that dude looks way bigger.” Then I just stumbled across this thread. The bulk is a great idea, you’re looking much bigger, personally I see a tremendous difference between the first pic and your most recent one, and I would say it is a very positive change. Keep up the good work.

[quote]N.K. wrote:
I’ve been off the forums for a while, saw your avi picture in powerlifting and said to myself “shit, that dude looks way bigger.” Then I just stumbled across this thread. The bulk is a great idea, you’re looking much bigger, personally I see a tremendous difference between the first pic and your most recent one, and I would say it is a very positive change. Keep up the good work. [/quote]

Hey man, thanks for stopping by!

Hey Flippy,

How the bulking going? What does your typical days diet look like at the moment?

Im doing a bit of a bulk myself at the moment and have noticed a few things.

Are you finding it harder to fall asleep have lesser sleep quality in general?
Do you feel a few more aches and pains with your joints, such as your ankles?

tweet

Bird,

I’ve been feeling pretty good. The bulk hasn’t gone completely as intended, as I’ve had a lot going on outside the gym, particularly over the past month. I’m pretty much only getting in the gym 2-3 times a week right now.

Diet’s still mostly along the lines of what it’s been for awhile, just trying to be consistent with it. 100g protein shake every day, anything for lunch, anything for dinner… about a half gallon of milk a day.

Joints feel fine, aside from my elbow, which has given me problems all year. I’ve never had ankle issues. Knees feel great (I love my SBD knee sleeves for squatting), hips feel good, back feels good. Sleep is good too. I’m hot all the time, and sometimes that can be a minor issue for sleep. But I didn’t end up putting on much bodyfat (I think I’ve actually lost some in the last few weeks). I’m weighing low 190’s, and possibly the leanest I’ve ever been. Veins are starting to show up on my quads fairly prominently. That’s been crazy.

Next time I decide to bulk, I should be able to be more consistent. Having a 4 month old baby at home, along with this being the holiday season, has just made things tough.

So I hate to post this picture/update, but I guess it could be worse. I’m down about 10 lbs. Obviously a good portion of it is fat, but I’ve lost some strength as well. I lost between 10 and 15 lbs over 2 weeks in January. I caught the flu and was the sickest I’ve been in the last 10 years, without comparison. I barely ate, and did not go to the gym. I’m better now, and I’ve put a couple lbs back on. Anyway, here is where I am right now. Legs are rather veiny as well.

But hey, beard looks great.

You look solid as fuck as usual Flip, don’t over analyze the layoff.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
You look solid as fuck as usual Flip, don’t over analyze the layoff. [/quote]

I appreciate it man. I just didn’t really plan on ending a ‘bulk’ weighing less than I started, hahaha. But obviously the after picture is better than the before. I’ve been eating like crazy for the last week though, glad to have my appetite back.

I wish I had your chest development. What’s your routine?

4.6? That should be much higher. Good work man.

[quote]Michael.Ignagni wrote:
I wish I had your chest development. What’s your routine? [/quote]

I’m probably unusual in this regard, but I pretty much just stick to barbell bench press. I do dips too sometimes, but I would say 90% of my chest work is on the bench. I don’t ever do flyes or cable crossovers, and I almost never use dumbbells, mostly because they’re too awkward to get into position. My bench press routine on most days is to work up to a heavy single, double, or triple, and then back off and do something like 5x10 at a lower weight. I’ve also done 5x5 on some days, sometimes 8x3. So I spend a lot of time in all the rep ranges up to about 10.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I’m probably unusual in this regard, but I pretty much just stick to barbell bench press. I do dips too sometimes, but I would say 90% of my chest work is on the bench. I don’t ever do flyes or cable crossovers, and I almost never use dumbbells, mostly because they’re too awkward to get into position. My bench press routine on most days is to work up to a heavy single, double, or triple, and then back off and do something like 5x10 at a lower weight. I’ve also done 5x5 on some days, sometimes 8x3. So I spend a lot of time in all the rep ranges up to about 10.[/quote]
Strictly flat? Or other variations too?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I’m probably unusual in this regard, but I pretty much just stick to barbell bench press. I do dips too sometimes, but I would say 90% of my chest work is on the bench. I don’t ever do flyes or cable crossovers, and I almost never use dumbbells, mostly because they’re too awkward to get into position. My bench press routine on most days is to work up to a heavy single, double, or triple, and then back off and do something like 5x10 at a lower weight. I’ve also done 5x5 on some days, sometimes 8x3. So I spend a lot of time in all the rep ranges up to about 10.[/quote]
[/quote]

90% flat. Incline hurts too much. I’ve done a little decline in the last couple months, but not much.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

90% flat. Incline hurts too much. I’ve done a little decline in the last couple months, but not much.[/quote]

I tried focussing mainly on flat bench, but my upper chest development is pathetic. I’ve been adding shallow incline DB press with a lower weight and slow tempo. This along with some incline flyes seem to be helping a little.

You look great flip. Gonna keep bulking for a while,to make up for the illness? Or do you have another game plan? I am thinking of trimming down and could use some help if you’re willing

[quote]confusion wrote:
You look great flip. Gonna keep bulking for a while,to make up for the illness? Or do you have another game plan? I am thinking of trimming down and could use some help if you’re willing[/quote]

It’s not hard for me to ‘lean bulk’, so yea that’s pretty much the idea moving forward, as I am not nearly as strong as I want to be. I’m eating like crazy right now. I do intend to push my bodyweight up to 200 lbs, but it should be quality weight. A little extra fat would be fine with me, but in all honestly, I’ll likely stay pretty lean. I’ll also be ‘assisted’ for the next 4 months, so that will make a difference.

Yea man, I’ll help if I can. You can ask whatever you want, either here or in my log.

Really solid overall physique flip. Your progress over the years is impressive and very admirable.

Go go go, get huge flip!

So I took a picture in almost exactly the same pose as my starting picture of this thread. I’m exactly the same weight in both pictures. Right at 180.

Looking Solid! That’s quite an improvement. Same amount of hair above the shoulders, but it is migrating south.

1 Like