T Nation

Flipcollar's Gonna Bulk

I'm gonna bulk. Here's where I'm starting. My goals are in my log, which I will be keeping up throughout this process. Essentially trying to pack on 20+ 'good' lbs. I'd prefer not to get much over 200 lbs, for powerlifting and strongman purposes. Don't think that will be an issue. I plan to post monthly pictures. I'll also throw up some other pictures that I'll have someone else take.
Current stats:

bench press - 325 tng, 315 paused
squat - 405
deadlift - 525
OHP - 185ish, push press low 200's.

Bodyweight - 180

Well shit. Don't know why the picture posted sideways. Mods?

Awesome!

I’m assuming this will be a ‘controlled’ bulk?

Are you going to count macros or do anything particular to mitigate fat gains?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Awesome!

I’m assuming this will be a ‘controlled’ bulk?

Are you going to count macros or do anything particular to mitigate fat gains?[/quote]

I’m only counting macros to meet minimums, which I laid out in my log. The picture I just posted is pretty close to the fattest I’ve ever been in my life, so I don’t consider excess fat gain to be an issue. If it becomes one, I’ll re-examine things. I eat very clean, so it’s hard for my diet to really get out of control. My eggs come from my backyard, my produce is 95% organic, local, and seasonal, and my meat is of similar quality. I do have pop tarts on hand, exclusively for post-workout. That’s pretty much the only junk food in my house.

Looking forward to seeing updates.

UPDATE 1

4 weeks into bulking, up about 10 lbs. Weighed 191 in the gym last night, so up 10ish lbs. My squat is 30 lbs up, bench press and deadlift haven’t been re-tested, although I hit a 515 deadlift and missed 535 at the knee.

UGH. Picture is sideways again… don’t know how to fix this :confused:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
My eggs come from my backyard, my produce is 95% organic, local, and seasonal, and my meat is of similar quality.[/quote]

I am envious.

I’ve been able to source very good meat and eggs, but the backyard for eggs is a whole extra level…I assume that means you keep a couple (or a couple dozen) chickens? I know it’s a little off-topic from the “flipcollar is bulking” gestalt, but mind sharing a few details of what it’s been like having egg-laying chickens?

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
My eggs come from my backyard, my produce is 95% organic, local, and seasonal, and my meat is of similar quality.[/quote]

I am envious.

I’ve been able to source very good meat and eggs, but the backyard for eggs is a whole extra level…I assume that means you keep a couple (or a couple dozen) chickens? I know it’s a little off-topic from the “flipcollar is bulking” gestalt, but mind sharing a few details of what it’s been like having egg-laying chickens?[/quote]

This thread is FOR THE PEOPLE!!! We can talk about whatever you want :slight_smile:

I have 3 chickens. I could comfortably have 5 in the coop I built, but I’d have to expand it if I wanted more. Each chicken lays 1 egg a day. They’re 3 different breeds, so 3 different egg colors (green, light brown, dark brown).

Care for the chickens couldn’t be easier. You drop in some food into the feeder anytime it’s low, change the water everday… regular pet maintenance stuff. I have to change out the bedding in the coop every other week. That takes maybe 20 minutes. The old bedding can be used as compost.

My chickens also have access to my backyard for a few hours everyday, so they can be considered free range.

One of the coolest things about having your own chickens is you never have to refrigerate the eggs. If eggs are not initially refrigerated, you never have to do that. You only have to do it if they’ve previously been refrigerated, if that makes sense.

You, sir, look phenomenal and are gonna look phenomenaler very soon! Good luck!

Thanks for the chicken info. Not going to be a possibility for me in the immediate future, but something I’ll file away for the distant future when I move into an environment with more space. I’ve noticed a significant taste difference since switching to eggs from pasture-raised chickens (the super expensive ones at Whole Foods at $6-7 a dozen vs. $1.50/dozen for the cheap stuff from a regular grocer, but they’re totally worth it), and the color of the yolks leads me to believe there is a material difference in nutritional content as well.

Looks like you’re adding mass and keeping a fair level of leanness. Keep up the good work!

Can’t wait to see more progress pics.

[quote]Handsome Rob 84 wrote:
Can’t wait to see more progress pics.[/quote]

I’ll take a couple this week. I’ll also try to make them not selfies. This will be a first for me, lol.

I 2nd this. I currently have 8 hens but only a few of the older girls are laying. Couldnt be an easier hobby. My wife juices a lot so they get tons of greens and veggy leftovers. Nice to know atleast something in my diet is under my complete control.

Well, I was hoping to get someone to take some pictures for me, but my training partner hasn’t been to the gym in about a month. I’ve actually only been once in the last week and a half. But, I said I’d throw up some pictures, so here they are.

I think my legs are starting to become a strong point. From an aesthetic standpoint, my arms could definitely be bigger. Any other input is welcome.

As far as lifts go, my recent PR’s are as follows:

Bench - 335
Squat - 435
Deadlift - 545
Strict OHP - 205

Bodyweight is right around 190. I lost a few pounds during my lay-off over the last week and a half. Diet sucked. I had minor surgery, and I didn’t eat well for about a week while I recovered. I’m going to be pushing towards 200 bodyweight pretty hard for the rest of the year. I should be able to get there.

upper body… pretty much looks the same…

Big legs dude. How long are you doing the bulking cycle for?

[quote]Handsome Rob 84 wrote:
Big legs dude. How long are you doing the bulking cycle for?[/quote]

probably through the end of the year.

I want those legs.

Nice work.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Gave ya an extra point for the socks!

Things are looking pretty good. I’m still hanging in the low 190’s, but a little bit leaner.

Dude, you are making great progress!