Flipcollar Can't Squat

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
I would guess you don’t have the hips for wide squatting, which is why I think people like Jesse Norris squat so narrow. Us little narrow-waisted guys aren’t built for that. Do you get soreness/tightness in the hip flexors when squatting wide?[/quote]

Yes. I squatted wider than I do now for quite awhile (not super wide, but a significant difference from what I do now), and it absolutely wore my hips out. They consistently felt terrible. My current stance does not stress my hips. All my lower body joints feel good at the moment. I’ve never had knee issues, which is part of why the forward knee travel doesn’t concern me too much.

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:
What’s your FS / BS?[/quote]

My true max for BS is 405-415, somewhere in there. I’ve front squatted 315, and I don’t believe that was my true max. 315 went up pretty easily. I would guess it’s more like 330-340.

looks fine to me. If you are going to squat with a narrow stance and higher bar position, your knees SHOULD come forward and there is nothing wrong with that. Probably just need to get stronger.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
I would guess you don’t have the hips for wide squatting, which is why I think people like Jesse Norris squat so narrow. Us little narrow-waisted guys aren’t built for that. Do you get soreness/tightness in the hip flexors when squatting wide?[/quote]

Yes. I squatted wider than I do now for quite awhile (not super wide, but a significant difference from what I do now), and it absolutely wore my hips out. They consistently felt terrible. My current stance does not stress my hips. All my lower body joints feel good at the moment. I’ve never had knee issues, which is part of why the forward knee travel doesn’t concern me too much.[/quote]

Yea, I wouldn’t worry about your stance then. You just aren’t going to be a good wide squatter no matter what you do. I also second everything gildner said…lots of wisdom there. Pause squats are my absolute favorite assistance exercise.

I’ve never had a great squat, but I’ve gone from 135 to a box to 455x3 free in 2 years since knee surgery, and it’s really taught me to listen to what feels right with regards to how my joints are responding to the lifts. People often forget that long term sustainability is the most important factor in this game. Too many people burn out training stupid and using technique that yields short term success, but long term damage.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:
What’s your FS / BS?[/quote]

My true max for BS is 405-415, somewhere in there. I’ve front squatted 315, and I don’t believe that was my true max. 315 went up pretty easily. I would guess it’s more like 330-340.[/quote]

Well, sounds normal, then. I was going to say that your hips shoot up a bit fast, but most people do that when back squatting.