T Nation

Flightspeed's Rippitoe Training Log

I had this in a blog on my page, and I was going to wait for some time to post it, but I don’t think I’m doing this as well as I should be. Also, I need to post what I’m eating, which I will do tonight or tomorrow. I’d appreciate any feedback.

posted 07/02/2008 at 02:10PM

Recovery day. I’m trying to eat as much as possible today. I don’t feel too bad at all. A little tired, but not as tired as I was yesterday afternoon.

The power cleans were pathetic, but I had a few where I felt like I was doing it right. I used to do those in college, and I loved them. I also loved hang cleans.

Drinking a lot of water and still feeling thirsty which is good, I think.

posted 07/01/2008 at 09:41PM

Second workout doing Rippitoes.

Squat
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

My speed isn’t great on the last two sets. This is probably because I don’t have the proper amount of calories, sleep, or I’m using too much weight or all of the above. I’m also right on the verge of doing a GM out of the hole. If this keeps up, I’m going to drop weight next week.

Not sure how much rest I need between sets. I’m resting 90 seconds right now.

I’m experimenting with bar placement. I’m liking the lower placement better. About level with my AC joint I think.

Using a box about 12 inches off the ground to squat with.

Press
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5 (push pressed on last two reps)
95 x 5 (push pressed on last two reps)

Jesus my abs and spine erectors are still weak. I’m trying to focus on keeping my body tight and my elbows under my hands.

Power Cleans
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

I have no idea how much weight to do. I suck at this. I watched a couple of youtube videos on proper form. My movement is too slow. My form gets better as the sets go on, but I need some serious practice. Or less weight. I’m going to stop at four sets tonight.

Pull ups

I’m not really going to failure on these, but I’m losing my fucking grip on the I beam in my basement that I have to use. I’m going to have to rig up some kind of bar so I can actually do these.

posted 07/01/2008 at 03:06PM

I’m tired. I’ve had a full 40 hours of recovery, and I still feel weak. I look at my log, and I know I’m not eating enough.

Sleep hasn’t been great either. I’m not taking any supps for that and I probably should.

I’m going to go ahead with the workout tonight, even though I feel about 80%. If it is this bad the next time, I will probably skip a day, but I’m going to try to do it tonight, then see where I’m at after eating the entire house out of food tonight and tomorrow.

posted 06/30/2008 at 02:33PM

I started off doing a mid to high rep base workout for several weeks - some olympic lifts, some non-compound movements - just to get to a point where my muscles were awake.

Then I started WS4SB III. I felt great after several weeks, and I was seeing gains, but I do all of my workouts in my basement so my equipment is limited. After trying to do some variations and realizing it was pointless with the equipment I had, I switched to Rippitoe’s. I have a barbell with plenty of weight, a bench that doubles as a squat rack, and an I beam that I can do hanging work from, which would be all I need for Ripp’s I think.

First workout on Ripps (last night):

Squat
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Bench
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5

Deads
135 x 5

Decline BB
135 x 5

It was hard to quit, because I still had plenty in the tank, but I know I need to get more rest and focus on nutrition for now. I would be setting myself up for failure by burning myself out, which has been my problem in the past.

I should probably explain a bit of history and goals as well.

I was skinny as hell in high school. Long distance runner/basketball player. I started lifting in college. I would work hard and see gains out of the chute, then fatigue myself into oblivion. My problem was that I wasn’t eating enough of anything. I was only doing half the things I needed to do to reach my goals.

I went through this cycle of “starting, making early gains, not eating right, then quitting due to fatigue, then starting again with more resolve and still failing” for several years.

I then managed to give myself an inguinal hernia which put me off weights for some time. That surgery sucked. Then came the Bar Exam, and I didn’t lift at all. I was out of the gym for about a year and a half. At the end of that period, I was skinny-fat and felt pathetic. I screwed around running and lifting a bit until I started to get serious.

I want to gain mass first. My shoulders, traps, and lats are a weak point. I’ve never been able to make them grow as well as my chest or legs. Then again, I’ve never done Deads or proper rows like I should have. I focused on beach muscles like a moron.

Some day, I’d like to compete in a BB competition, but I would also like to be more aesthetically pleasing. I’m in front of juries and judges a lot, and I think it would help to look better than the other fat schlub lawyers I’m up against.

I’m at about 190lbs right now. 6’4"Just turned 28.

I’ll post some pics after I make some gains. I’ve taken some “before” shots, so someday I’ll have something to compare.

Today:

Breakfast:
Cheese bagel.
1 cup cottage cheese.
2 scoops GNC whey protein. It says it “contains BCAAs” but doesn’t say how much. Great.
32 oz water.
1 cup pineapple.

Snack
Handfull of almonds and handfull of sunflower seeds at work. Probably 1/3 cup of each.
Bagel
More water.

Lunch
I can of tuna.
1/2 cup almonds.
More water.

Snack
1/3 cup of sunflower seeds. Ran out of almonds.
More water.
2 scoops whey protein shake.

Snack
Spinach. I was starving when I got home so I just grabbed some spinach and shoved it in my mouth. Probably ended up eating 2 cups. Wife was impressed.

Dinner
Fish and shrimp fajitas. I put the olive oil on after cooking them. The salsa was really good. I think there was about a pound of fish in there.
2 corn tortillas.
1/2 cup cottage cheese.
2 more scoops protein powder.
More water.

I’m going to drink a ton of water so I can wake up in the middle of the night and drink another shake. Or piss the bed. I’ll let you know.

I didn’t wake up last night. I didn’t piss myself either. Weird. I drank about 40 oz of water before bed.

Breakfast:
2 scoops protein shake
1 cup spinach
3/4 lb of chicken
1/2 cup yogurt

I’m looking forward to lifting tonight. I think I’m going to add weight to the squat and bench and do three sets of deads instead of one.

I just did a quick calc using one of Shugart’s articles. I think I need 3700 calories a day. I’m going to start cooking and storing a ton of food. I like that Zatarain’s jambalaya. I’m going to cook up a huge batch with sausage and chicken and ground turkey which should really help me hit that mark and get some good carbs and protein. The rice is white. I wish it was brown. It only takes about 30 minutes to make a huge pot though.

I also figure I need about 350 to 400 grams of protein a day.

Good luck. My brother, who trains with me as well, has just started Rippetoe, I don’t think the program can be matched for anyone looking to build a good foundation.

Hey there, I’ll be doing my 6th workout on Starting Strength tomorrow.

From what I can tell, you are using a modified version of Rippetoe.

Typically the work-outs would look like:

Squat: 3x5
Press/Bench: 3x5
Deadlift: 1x5

Alternate Deadlift with any of these pulling exercises: Power Clean; Pull-up; Chin-up; or Barbell Row. Sets for the Power Cleans and Barbell Rows would be 3x5. Sets and reps for Pull-ups and Chin-ups would be 3 sets to failure.
If you get over 15 pull-ups or chin-ups in a set - it is time to start adding weight.

From what I can tell, you are doing a 5x5 training program. Maybe Bill Starr’s 5x5 or Madcow’s 5x5.

The idea behind Starting Strength is to add weight to each exercise, every workout, until you get to a point where you can’t anymore. In the squat, you would start with 10lb increments, to 5lbs, to 2lbs, etc.

For more info, check out this wiki: startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Or, better yet, buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215111594&sr=8-1

The best 30bucks you will ever spend.

A 5x5 program is probably better suited for an intermediate lifter who measures his progress on a weekly basis.

The Starting Strength model is more for a novice who can make and measure his progress on a workout by workout basis. From the weight you are using, it looks like you are still a novice (that’s what I am as well - I’m in my 2nd week).

I’d suggest reading the wiki, and trying to figure out your program from there.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and, if it helps any, below is my log. I’ve published it on googledocs. I don’t think you have to be signed in to view it:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptpoAMLYv8gCuTlHvUnS5Og

No laughing at the weight I’m using! But, it might help to see someone else’s log.

[quote]oneils wrote:
Hey there, I’ll be doing my 6th workout on Starting Strength tomorrow.

From what I can tell, you are using a modified version of Rippetoe.

Typically the work-outs would look like:

Squat: 3x5
Press/Bench: 3x5
Deadlift: 1x5

Alternate Deadlift with any of these pulling exercises: Power Clean; Pull-up; Chin-up; or Barbell Row. Sets for the Power Cleans and Barbell Rows would be 3x5. Sets and reps for Pull-ups and Chin-ups would be 3 sets to failure.
If you get over 15 pull-ups or chin-ups in a set - it is time to start adding weight.

From what I can tell, you are doing a 5x5 training program. Maybe Bill Starr’s 5x5 or Madcow’s 5x5.

The idea behind Starting Strength is to add weight to each exercise, every workout, until you get to a point where you can’t anymore. In the squat, you would start with 10lb increments, to 5lbs, to 2lbs, etc.

For more info, check out this wiki: startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Or, better yet, buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215111594&sr=8-1

The best 30bucks you will ever spend.

A 5x5 program is probably better suited for an intermediate lifter who measures his progress on a weekly basis.

The Starting Strength model is more for a novice who can make and measure his progress on a workout by workout basis. From the weight you are using, it looks like you are still a novice (that’s what I am as well - I’m in my 2nd week).

I’d suggest reading the wiki, and trying to figure out your program from there.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and, if it helps any, below is my log. I’ve published it on googledocs. I don’t think you have to be signed in to view it:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptpoAMLYv8gCuTlHvUnS5Og

No laughing at the weight I’m using! But, it might help to see someone else’s log. [/quote]

Oneils,

Thanks for the help. That wiki is great!

To be honest, I don’t really know what the hell I’m doing as far as programming goes. I grabbed a post of BB.com, printed it off, and just started doing it. I figured I would get into it and figured out what worked. I feel like I’m in OK enough shape to do 5 sets, so I do. I might be shooting myself in the foot as far as recovery goes, but I’ll know soon enough! I just hope I’m smart enough to recognize it.

I do need to order a copy of SS, but I really don’t know when the hell I’m going to sit down and read it. But, like anything else, if I want to do it right, I need to invest the time to learn it. . . I’m still on the fence.

I did add weight tonight. 10 to each exercise. I’m doing THAT right at least. :wink:

I took a look at your log. I would never laugh at someones weights! I think I’m going to start doing warm up sets like you are. I just feel like I have way too much left in the tank when I’m done. I don’t have too much time tonight, so I’ll do it on workout 4.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I appreciate it!

Cool, adding weight is the key. The wiki has a few templates that you could use.

Also, I find the warmup sets more useful for the squat as it is the first, and most difficult (technically) movement of the program. The warm-ups help me hit a groove, and so the worksets aren’t as much of a shock.

But at this point, (I’m only at 115lbs on the squat), “shock” is probably the overstatement of the century.

I tried to post this last night, but the internets weren’t working. . .

Workout 3

Squat
145 x 5 x 5

These went pretty well. No GMs out of the hole, which was good. I would like to work on my form as far as what happens right out of the hole. I think I need to go lower. I’ll work on it next session when I start doing warm up sets.

Bench
155 x 5 x 5

These were fine too. It was hard to quit after 5 reps. We’ll see how long THAT lasts. I focused on keeping my shoulderblades together so I had a stable base to push from, and keeping my back ad hips in the right spot and staying rigid. I’m still a little unsure of hand placement and it feels like my chest isn’t fatiguing, but more my arms.

I’ll worry about that after I put on some weight, but I might experiment with some prefatiguing if I get frustrated.

Deads
145 x 5 x 3

I’m getting a taste for these. I actually felt like I was doing these well tonight. I kept my back straight and didn’t round my shoulders. These felt great.

I elected to do three sets of deads instead of doing pullups. I haven’t figured out what the hell I’m going to for a bar. I’ll go to Home Depot tomorrow and rig something up. . .

Food:

After breakfast I had:

Snack
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Water

Lunch
1/2 cup PB in sandwiches.
1/2 cup sunflower seeds.
water

Snack
More fucking sunflower seeds. I need some almonds.
Water

Dinner
2 cups spinach with olive oil and pepper on them
5 slices thin crust pizza
4 turkey dogs.
2 scoops protein
2 cups ice cream

I’m going to drink a ton of water again and see if it will wake me up tonight. I think its weird that it didn’t wake me up last night.

Note. I did not wake up again last night. I drank at least 40 oz of water. Strange.

I’m going to walk the dog and eat well today.

Breakfast
2 pieces turkey bacon
1 cup spinach
2 scoops protein

[quote]flightspeed wrote:

Note. I did not wake up again last night. I drank at least 40 oz of water. Strange.

[/quote]

Keep up the hard work.

That trick (drinking a lot to wake up in the middle of the night) never works for me. I end up having terrible dreams and waking up 8 hours later with a bladder that is about to explode.

I took the 4th and the 5th off. Lifting again tonight. I did this because it was the 4th of July and also because, to my understanding, the program calls for two days of rest at the end of three workouts, ie MWF, MWF. I’m lifting tonight.

Diet has been a lot of volume and a bit less “clean” than I would have liked.

On the 4th

Bfast
1 c. cottage cheese
1 c. spinach (I bought a giant tub from Costco if you’re wondering)
2 scoops protein
16 oz 1% milk

Lunch
2 scoops protein
Tons of watermelon
1 chicken breast

Dinner
2 brats
1 burger
1 Italian sausage
2 cups “Texas caviar” with whole grain chips (TX caviar is avacados, beans, cilantro, and a bunch of other stuff. They put salad dressing on it, which I washed off in a strainer. This stuff tasted great.)

On the 5th

Bfast
2 scoops protein
Watermelon

Lunch
2 scoops protein

Dinner
2 beef burgers
1 turkey burger
Leftover TX caviar

I did not eat well today. I was in the office most of the day, and I managed to eat about 3 cups of sunflower seeds. And drink tons of water. That’s about it.

Dinner will be:
2 scoops protein
1 c. TX caviar
1 c. cottage cheese
1 c. yogurt
1 cheese bagel

Tonight’s workout.

Squat
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5 x 3

Adding the warmup sets made this way harder. I was fighting a GM out of the hole a few times. I had a bad set on the second to last with 155. I concentrated on form on the last one and had a much better set even though I was more tired.

My knees are coming in towards each other when I start the movement up. I figure this is because my muscles are pulling them in, trying to use the strongest part of my leg, which is probably the inside. Not sure how to remedy that. Probably some single leg or lateral movement work. I have no idea.

Press
85 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5 x 3

I push pressed the last two reps of the last two sets. I need to stay at the same weight next time.

Power Clean
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5 x 3

My form is getting better, but I still look like I have fucking Tourette’s. I have a hard time with the catch at the top because I can’t get my humerus parallel to the floor. I also have a hard time with the upper body and lower body timing. I also end up with the right side of the bar a few inches lower then the left. I stretched my hands and wrists before and I think it helped over last week. I need practice, practice, practice.

Pull-ups

This fucking kills my hands, not in a grip fatigue way, but just in a “fuck this hurts” way. I haven’t figured out a good way to rig something up to this beam in my basement so I can mount a bar on it. I’ll have to MacGuyver something.

Alright, the squats and power cleans really took the fight out of me tonight. I can see why 5 sets of the top weight with the warmups would have been a bad idea. I’ll see how sore I am tomorrow and make sure to eat like a horse.

Breakfast yesterday:
cheese bagel
1 c. cottage cheese
2 scoops protein

Mid morning:
3 servings jambalaya pasta mix with sausage.
Its got about 1000 cals and 30 g of protein in it, so its kind of the mainstay for the day. I made a huge pot of it that will last a little while.

Lunch
2 peanut butter sandwiches.

Mid afternoon
3 more servings jambalaya pasta mix with sausage.

Dinner
2 scoops protein
5 fish oil caps
1.5 cups rice

Today
3 scoops protein (78 g of protein supposedly)
cheese bagel

Mid morning:
3 servings jambalaya pasta mix with sausage.

Lunch
2 peanut butter sandwiches.

Mid afternoon
3 more servings jambalaya pasta mix with sausage.

I’ve also been drinking a truckload of water.

I bought some different protein that has a bunch of other shit in it, including creatine. This morning was the first time taking it. I feel like crap. . . My stomach hurts and I feel lightheaded.

I just got back from a doctor’s office. They had a scale in the hallway. I weighed myself.

203.6 lbs.

I’m really happy to be over 200 again. I also look like I have less fat than I did a few months ago.

I hadn’t weighed myself for a while because I didn’t have access to an accurate scale, but I will start charting my progress even if I have to go buy one of those fancy scales myself.

Squat

135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5 x 3

My form was pretty crappy on the last few of the last set. I’m going to shoot for 175 for reps next time, but I have my doubts. I guess we’ll see.

Bench

135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5 x 3

I was keeping my elbows out quite a bit. I think that is supposed to isolate the chest more than the arms.

Deads

155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5 x 3

My form sucks. I need to learn to activate my upper and lower body at the same time. I think I have a good finishing position though. I supersetted these with some swiss ball crunches. 3 x 10.

Dinner tonight was shitty fast food. Chicken sandwich from TGI Friday’s. I’m going to have three scoops of protein and some cottage cheese now, then to bed.

Breakfast:

2 scoops protein (52 gs total)
1 c. cottage cheese
2 c. watermelon

I just read this again, as I was having a hard time with my deads last night.

The weight was fine, but I think my form sucks. I think I’m going to switch to Romanian deads as opposed to the conventional deads I’m doing now. I think it will help me activate the posterior chain better by feeling the weight when it is lowered, then exploding back up. I also plan on working on my form in general, trying to keep my shoulders behind the bar so I can feel my hamstrings and glutes more.

I think I can deadlift a lot more weight then I’m doing now, but I want to make sure I’m getting the most out of it. I think this is the way to do it. We’ll see.

Lunch today:

Fried chicken - I took the skin off
1.5 c. Potato salad - I cringed, but needed the cals
1 c. potato chips - again, cringing

Snack
2 PBJ sandwiches

Squats

145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5
185 x 5 x 3

Those last two sets were ugly. Some hard GMs out of the hole on the last few reps. I haven’t squatted that heavy for a few years though, so it felt great. More like five or seven years. . .

Press

85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5 x 3

Well, that sucked fat white ass. That worse than my performance the last fucking time I did these. Not sure what to attribute that to.

Power Clean

105 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5 x 3

That went OK. It felt good to work up to plates instead of throwing baby weights around. I might drop these in favor of hang cleans or BB rows next week. My grip is pretty fried right now. . .

Pull ups