Flies, What Are They Good For?

I"ve been training properly for four months now and have reached a couple short term goals I have set out for myself but I still relatively know jack shit about weight liftng.

I’m a huge fan of this site and read all the articles that interest me or that are new. In fact it cuts into my homework most of the time ahhahah enough small talk and pussy crap, how do I do flies correctly and what are they good for. I know there for chest and I wanna add new stuff 2 my chest routine could some one help me out

I first thought this was a rant about flies.

Anyway, check here - just pick an exercise and it will give you an example of how to do it and what muscles are targeted:

exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html

Thanks

I honestly think flies have only one purpose…to make guys who are already big look really cool while they do them. Other than that, they hold little use because the weight you can use is limited and the movement itself can be outdone by other exercises. I used to do them years ago. I haven’t done them in a very long time. I would do cable crossovers before I ever worried about flies again…and I don’t do them either.

I generally use the pec deck machine as my very last movement and that is usually after I have worn myself out on incline and flat presses. I use it as a finishing movement, basically doing reps until I truly can’t do another rep.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I honestly think flies have only one purpose…to make guys who are already big look really cool while they do them.[/quote]

LOL!

I personally prefer cable crossovers to pec deck, but that’s only because I get more chest out of crossovers and more shoulder out of pec deck. But then, everyone is different.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I honestly think flies have only one purpose…to make guys who are already big look really cool while they do them. Other than that, they hold little use because the weight you can use is limited and the movement itself can be outdone by other exercises. I used to do them years ago. I haven’t done them in a very long time. I would do cable crossovers before I ever worried about flies again…and I don’t do them either.

I generally use the pec deck machine as my very last movement and that is usually after I have worn myself out on incline and flat presses. I use it as a finishing movement, basically doing reps until I truly can’t do another rep.[/quote]

But Professory, thats like training to failure and stuff. Its very taxing on the CNS(central nervous system), or didnt you know that Mr Doctur!! Or maybe you didnt read that one article.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
<<< But Professory, thats like training to failure and stuff. Its very taxing on the CNS(central nervous system), or didnt you know that Mr Doctur!! Or maybe you didnt read that one article.[/quote]

What?

@ Professor X:
You don’t do any kind of decline work? Presses, dips etc? Just curious

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
<<< But Professory, thats like training to failure and stuff. Its very taxing on the CNS(central nervous system), or didnt you know that Mr Doctur!! Or maybe you didnt read that one article.

What?

@ Professor X:
You don’t do any kind of decline work? Presses, dips etc? Just curious[/quote]

I do dips on a regular basis for triceps. I have done decline presses in the past. I haven’t done them in a while. I see them as more help to those who overstimulate their shoulders when they do flat presses. I don’t have that problem. I go pretty heavy on dips and use the HS machine for that as well most of the time. If you don’t know what that is (not specifically speaking to you), then look it up. I generally go up to 6 plates a side on that for my last set. My guess is, someone will have something negative to say about the use of an HS machine…meanwhile, they are less developed.

Prodoc,

What is an HS machine? Is it that thing that simulates dips that I have seen Cutler doing? Does it ease elbow strain?

Isn’t that the outfit where your bodyweight is restrained so you can do heavier dips?

HS is Hammer strength. They make the best machines. you load them up with free weights, they have good rang of motion and they hit the muscles really well.

Interesting, I’ve never seen their dip machine. I do love dips though, and lately I’ve been using a 45lb plate around my waist and it just kills my elbows.

[quote]John S. wrote:
HS is Hammer strength. They make the best machines. you load them up with free weights, they have good rang of motion and they hit the muscles really well. [/quote]

I know what Hammer Strength machines are, but they make about a hundred of em. I was asking which one he meant.

I think this one

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I think this one[/quote]

Yes, that one. These machines allow someone who is already lifting more than most to lift more than they could safely with free weights. There is no way I could load up a harness with as much weight as I use for dips on that machine. I don’t take anything away from dips done the traditional way, I just know what has worked for me and these machines have been an asset not a hinderance.

What bothers me is when people who aren’t anywhere near the same strength level begin to act as if they need to train the same way or that something is wrong with the way I train because it is different from what they are used to.

Well, flies are good for breaking down carrion and other wastes (actually maggots).
Flies are also food for a variety of animals (birds, arthropods…)
They are also important pollinators.

As a side note, I saw a bodybuilder in the gym today do something really cool for this triceps. Take a standard bench press machine and throw a lat bar across the grips and bam, you have a closecrip bench press machine,

This is a VERY rough sketch, but anyone who has seen a seated pressing machine should get the idea.

I think that you can get enough chest work with bench press variations alone.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I think that you can get enough chest work with bench press variations alone. [/quote]

I disagree actually. Some people, such as myself, get almost NO chest stimulation out of a traditional barbell bench press. For me, I have never had my chest feel sore or even worked doing barbell bench, only my shoulders and triceps.

I’ve never really felt that flies did all the much for me. Cable crossovers were alright, but I still felt like my front delts were taking over. I get a wicked pump from the pec deck, although I don’t use it that often.

One exercise that surprised me with how much I felt it working the chest was doing pushups with the suspended straps, I guess the increased range of motion you can go through helped.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I disagree actually. Some people, such as myself, get almost NO chest stimulation out of a traditional barbell bench press. For me, I have never had my chest feel sore or even worked doing barbell bench, only my shoulders and triceps.[/quote]

Wow. Try doing a set with reps like: lower the bar until it hits your chest, go up half way, and then back down and then up all the way. Give me three sets of twenty, and then tell me if your chest doesn’t feel it.

Or you could try using dumb bells. Again, sets of twenty. I dare you. If you can do three sets of twenty without failing, you’re not going heavy enough, and this is why you don’t get any chest stimulation. Oh, yeah, and do three exercises per body part. That’s 180 total reps. If your chest isn’t sore for the next four days, I’ll… implode.