Flexerol and Training (Prof?)

What are the negative effects of taking flexerol (cyclobenzaprine). I am aware of the side effects, drug interactions, etc. I am also aware, as a muscle relaxer, you aren’t going to get much of a workout while taking it.

I am more concerned about the training effects, is it catabolic, anti-anabolic, or detrimental to strength and muscle gains.
Any info is appreciated, whether it is from documented sources or personal experience. Thanks.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
What are the negative effects of taking flexerol (cyclobenzaprine). I am aware of the side effects, drug interactions, etc. I am also aware, as a muscle relaxer, you aren’t going to get much of a workout while taking it.

I am more concerned about the training effects, is it catabolic, anti-anabolic, or detrimental to strength and muscle gains.
Any info is appreciated, whether it is from documented sources or personal experience. Thanks.[/quote]

Source: Bernstein E, Carey TS, Garrett JM. The use of muscle relaxant medications in acute low back pain. Spine. 2004 Jun 15;29(12):1346-51.

This study has showed that although most commonly prescribed by doctors as treatment, muscle relaxants did not accelerate recovery of injury and were not associated with functional improvement of the problem area.

In short, it means that rehabilitation is not enhanced by their use but that are simply localized pain killers with regards to lower back pain. Muscle relaxants are not catabolic to muscle tissue unless seen from an aspect of possible decreased performance while taking them.

I have taken flexerol a few times in the past while training and taking it currently for LBP and still doing some lifting with no strength loss or muscle mass loss.

I just messed up my back real bad to the point I had to go to the hospital cause I couldn’t walk. Doc gave me flexorall and it didn’t do anything regarding healing, all it did was put me to sleep.

Thanks for the responses gents. I try not to take it unless I absolutely need it, and that is usually when lower back pain is keeping me awake. I do find, I feel much more flexible when taking it.
Rangermedic will probally second me on this, the Army loves to hand this out like candy, next to Motrin (and water), it is quite a popular med.
On a side note, I find it a little ironic that back pain is one of the most common complaints I get from my soldiers. The army does nothing to address this except drugs. Our PT does nothing to focus on strengthening the back. Bent knee situps are the closest thing, sure they strengthen your abs, but also put a lot of stress on your back, often aggravating any injury. Prevention is the best medicine, and the Army hasn’t figured it out yet.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
Thanks for the responses gents. I try not to take it unless I absolutely need it, and that is usually when lower back pain is keeping me awake. I do find, I feel much more flexible when taking it.
Rangermedic will probally second me on this, the Army loves to hand this out like candy, next to Motrin (and water), it is quite a popular med.
On a side note, I find it a little ironic that back pain is one of the most common complaints I get from my soldiers. The army does nothing to address this except drugs. Our PT does nothing to focus on strengthening the back. Bent knee situps are the closest thing, sure they strengthen your abs, but also put a lot of stress on your back, often aggravating any injury. Prevention is the best medicine, and the Army hasn’t figured it out yet.[/quote]

They also haven’t figured out what strength training is or that different body types don’t all fall in line with their standard measurements.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

They also haven’t figured out what strength training is or that different body types don’t all fall in line with their standard measurements. [/quote]

Oh, doc, don’t even get me started here! Dammit, I’m already going, so rant on…
I met the height weight standards once in my military career, and that was at the end of Marine Basic, when I was 19. I was 5’7, 169 lbs with a limit of 175. Sure, I was lean, but also pretty scrawny. Since then, not one weigh in has gone by without me having to get taped. I don’t believe neck to waist is an accurate indicator of bodyfat%. Depending on my command, some units had a blanket policy that if you were overweight, you are a fatbody, period.
I’ve never been a rabbit of a runner, but I can keep a steady pace and pass a PT test. However, get me running 4-8 days a week, often twice a day (because I am ‘fat’ and need the extra work), I develop shin splints and can’t run very well, if at all. Now, I am not just fat, I am slow, lazy and a brokedick.
PT is a joke. I don’t mind running so much, but when you run as a pack, you go at the slowest guys pace. So you got the slow guy dying, the fast guys barely breaking a sweat, and everybody is just doing a shuffle, pounding thier joints. On days we don’t run, it is muscle failure. How many sets of pushups can you do to failure before it becomes counterproductive? The overhead clap, WTF? Is that a joke or a punishment, because it sure isn’t a workout. I know my body and know what and how I need to stretch, so why am I on line, with an out of shape Sgt. stretching me for eight seconds at a time?
I’ve recently got an influence with my section’s PT (about 10 whiskeys). We have been doing buddy lifts, litter carries and lifts, sled dragging and sandbag work, along with the traditional body weight excercises. Seems to work pretty well, if not strength training, it is GPP. The problem is we have to hide out and get out of sight, just to make sure the commander or Sgt. Major doesn’t see us doing non regulation PT that wasn’t scheduled and have the proper memorandum.
Oh, and if we want to go to the gym in the morning, it must be scheduled a month in advance, with memorandum signed by the 1st Sgt, Commander, and Sgt. Major, and then we are allowed to go once a month.

Guys, it’s Flexeril. Just an fyi.

prof x, you seem to be fairly proficient at answering the medical type questions, and i was just wondering what your educational background was.
anda

[quote]andaheart wrote:
prof x, you seem to be fairly proficient at answering the medical type questions, and i was just wondering what your educational background was.
anda[/quote]

I am a ________, graduating from ________ in ________,_______. I am in the ________ branch of the military where I specialize in ________.

Truth be told, if I knew you on this site better I would easily pm you this info. As long as I am in the military, I will keep that info private from the main board even though it really isn’t a secret. I am a doctor.

ok, i wasnt really looking for specifics like where you went to school, etc etc. just trying to determine if you were an MD or PhD.