Flex Wheeler

[quote]adamhum wrote:
He should of hung in there like Jay did if possible. But to be honest a bodybuilders lifestyle is a year round 24/7 bitch that probably really wears on you. You have to really love it to keep doing it forever, regardless of talent.[/quote]

He felt he’d already accomplished most of his goals and that it was time to focus on family and a more low key means of income, along with certain health problems he eventually faced.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Some Arnold commentary:

For those of you that weren’t aware:

The 2nd Place performance:

And here is a video that expresses their rivalry with a much better soundtrack:

- YouTube [/quote]

It still KILLS me every time I watch that second video. There’s no doubt that Flex should have won the O in '99. Goddammit anyway!

Wow… Flex was huge at the 99 Olympia. He was definitely robbed.

My Encounter with Flex Wheeler
By Ron Cecchini

Origianlly posted on misc.fitness
Date: 14 Jan 93 20:16:32 GMT

(Posted without Ron’s knowledge --sorry Ron, I didn’t think you’d mind – and material not related to Flex Wheeler has been edited out)

Recent Events, Gossip and Discoveries - II
[snip]
5. FLEX WHEELER

I met Flex Wheeler last Thursday, January 7th at the World Gym in Brockton Mass. They gym was celebrating their 3rd anniversay, complete with 2 hour party before hand (with many kegs of beer on tap, ironic, eh?), Flex guest posing and stuff, and a “fashion” show afterwards.

Flex was signing pictures for about an hour and talking to people. I figured that since it cost me $10 to get into the place, I’d splurge and spend another $10 to have Flex autograph an awesome picture of himself.

At the table, I told him that I was a big fan of his and of his rival Kevin Levrone, both of whom possess very similar physiques, with their classic lines and full muscle bellies. “Thank you, and you’re right. We are similar. But soon Kevin and I will meet!” And I predict Flex will absolutely blow him away. Kevin is lagging in his chest, and his legs may actually overpower his upper body. But after seeing Flex up close, I can’t find a single flaw!

After the picture signing, he got on stage and answered questions for an hour. He is 5’9.5’’ and is currently 247lbs., though he plans to compete this year at 237 (a little heavier than when he won this year’s Mr. USA).

I thought I knew what big was, as I’ve seen some really huge guys in our gym. But unless you’ve seen a pro bodybuilder up close, you really can’t imagine what they look like. And being that Flex has been one of my top 3 favorites since I first saw his picture, I just sat there in awe. This guy has the absolute best arms in all of bodybuilding. They are so perfectly shaped, its sick. And when he was sitting down, a time when most of us have our guts hanging over our pants, the only thing you could see was the huge ridges of his abs poking through his tanktop.

Of course, I thought it was kind of weird to have a few hundred people standing around drinking beer gaping at this behemoth seated behind a table, but anyways…

Flex is a genuinely cool guy - and he really does talk very quietly like the mags say. He had to be asked to speak up a few times, even with the microphone. I seemed to be the one asking the most questions, and Flex was really cool, but he got really bizarre at one point, reciting one of those muscle-mantras or something:

ME: “What, if any, were your weak bodyparts and what did you do to bring them up?”

FLEX: (in paraphrase) “My legs, my calves and my chest.”

At this point, Flex is speaking in a monotone, and then, all of a sudden, his gaze become very fixed - as if he were in a trance or something.

FLEX: (in paraphrase) “I concentrate on the bodypart as I mentally masturbate imagining my competitors watching me. This inspires me even more, as the masturbation having taken effect makes me work the muscle even more…”

The above isn’t an exact quote, but it does get the gist of what he said. It was weird, and he did say “mentally masturbate” or “mental masturbation” as “his competitors watched”. But at this point, I was just thinking to myself “O-o-o-k Flex… whatever.” So, of course, I just nodded my head and let him go on to someone else.

One lady also asked him about girlfriends and stuff, and if he wouldn’t in fact like a romp with her, at which he responds “I can get that any time, any where.” Needless to say, all us guys were like “ooooooohh”.

He talked about Shawn Ray for a little bit as well. He said because Shawn was a friend of his, he felt like he was able to tell people that “Yeah, Shawn can be an asshole” and that Shawn is the way he is because he was born into money and always had it and has always been cocky.

Oh yeah, get this, Flex claims that he sleeps 16 HOURS A DAY! And what does he do during the 8 hours that he’s actually awake? Well, not only does he train (6 on, 1 off), but he eats 7 TIMES A DAY! “When I’m not training or sleeping, I’m eating. Yeah, I admit it, I’m a bum!”

“What do you do on your day off?” → “I like to drive my car around.”
“What do you do for fun?” → “I don’t have fun. I don’t have time for it.”
[Side note, though no one asked it, I’m sure he doesn’t eat those 7 meals during the 8 hours he’s awake. He must wake up periodically to eat - and then go back to sleep.]

Finally, someone asked “What supplements do you take, you know, vitamins and stuff?” “I take a good multivitamin and mineral pack every time I eat,” he says, “I use some aminos and, of course, I use Joe Weider products.” At this point, everyone laughs, but he goes “No, really. I’m not being paid to say this. I really like Weider products.” [As a side note, I don’t believe he is under Weider contract, just as he says.]

Then someone must’ve said something like: “Is that all?”, because the next thing I heard him say was: “No, thats really about it. But are you alluding to something else?” At this point, he turns to the crowd and says: “Look people. You can ask me anything you want. I’m not afraid to answer any question.”

So, someone with balls much larger than mine yells out: “Are you all natural?” And, in a slow and deliberate manner he says: “Of course I’m not all natural!” He then goes on “I won’t tell you what I’m doing, but no, I’m not all natural. But let me tell you: no bodybuilder or professional athlete at this level of competition is all natural. Whether it be football, or baseball or race car driving - in any sport where theres big money at stake and where size, strength and agility are needed, you’re going to find “sports medicine”. You don’t think race car drivers take anything to get them psyched to drive that long at those speeds? They all do.”

And instead of there being hushed “oh-my-gods” and stuff, the crowd went wild and heavily applauded his very candid answer. Good PR for Flex!

Someone then asked “But aren’t you nervous?” and he says: “No. I don’t smoke or drink” as he waves his hand over the beer-guzzling crowd, “I don’t use recreational drugs. I eat and sleep very well. And I know what I’m doing.” Hmm… Interesting, to say the least.

So, before I left, I went up to him once again, and as I was shaking his hand I said “I just wanted to thank you once again, especially for being so candid.” “Thank you” he says. I then told him that I was strongly rooting for him and good luck, and he said “Thank you, thank you very much.”

Flex Wheeler Speaks!
Sitting in on an up-front seminar with the winningest pro of '97

By Redd Hall

MuscleMag International, November 1997

Johnny Fitness calls Flex Wheeler “The New Man.” He may be right. Flex acts far more mature and serious these days than formerly and conducts himself professionally. He even speaks better, with logic, clarity and brevity.

Case in point: Flex’s seminar in San Jose, California, the afternoon before he guest posed at Paul Love’s NPC Santa Clara Championships. Flex was impressive, no doubt about it. Clad in a new spandex outfit, he looked good: big, well-groomed and handsome. His manner was composed and calm, and he communicated well with his fans. He was articulate and gave appropriate amounts of information, some sprinkled with humor. The crowd, very attentive, asked him a wide range of questions, some quite serious and probing. He fielded them deftly.

Wheeler appears to have crossed over The Great Divide in his development. He’s no longer the kid playing around, out partying the night before a show, or sliding along on his genetics. Now he’s an adult. This progress pleases his fans greatly because now they can not only admire his physique and presentation but also respect him as a mature individual developing character as well as muscle.

Read this account of his seminar and see if you too aren’t impressed.

“I don’t have a formal format for my seminar,” Flex says as he begins, "but I’ll start by telling you a little about myself. My name is Flex Wheeler, and I’m 31 years old. The first time I ever stepped on a bodybuilding stage was when I was 16. Did I ever think I’d get to the point where I am today? No. I just thought weight training was fun and would keep me out of trouble.

“Ask any question you want. It doesn’t matter. It can be about weight training, diet, even personal stuff. I’ve been all around the world so I’ve been asked a lot of questions. In foreign countries I’ve been asked some pretty bizarre things! But [smiling] if you ask a very personal question, I’ll feel free to ask you a personal question in return [audience laughter]. I’m not going to try to impress you or BS you, just level with you. If I don’t know the answer to a question, I’ll tell you I don’t know.”

As Flex speaks, his voice fades away. “I’m sick as a dog, and my voice is weakening, going in and out. Getting sick after a show happens sometimes with all the stress you go through, the dieting and the heavy training.”

QUESTION: Lately the judges have been treating you with more respect, you’ve gotten good coverage in the magazines, and two or three of the magazines have said that you may be one of the most gifted bodybuilders of all time. How does that make you feel?
FLEX WHEELER: [Shrugging] I don’t get a big head about it. I remember when I started competing, a lot of hype was written about me. That pleased me at the time, but I’ve also had a taste of the other side because they ripped me apart and tore me up in '94 and '95. So I don’t get up or down about what anybody reports. Instead I rely upon people whose opinion I respect. They’ll tell me the truth.

I figure that the people who like me are going to like me, and the people who don’t like me won’t like me. I’m here today, but somebody else will be here tomorrow. I know that, and I don’t trip about it.

I still look in the mirror and see Ken Wheeler with the little arms. I’m not really happy with where I am physically. There’s much more I want to accomplish.

Q: Is there anything different that you wish the judges would do in a pro show?
FW: Yes. I wish they’d go through the whole row - the entire lineup - and call out each of the guys. They should do that out of respect for the men as athletes and for all the preparation they’ve been through. It’s humiliating not to get even one callout. I know I’ve been there before.

Q: Is it true that you moved away from Venice?
FW: Yes. I have a house in Rowland Heights. It’s more peaceful up there, away from the high-voltage activity of the Los Angeles area. It’s easier to concentrate there and keep my mind focused.

Q: And is it true that you’re training with Shawn Ray?
FW: Yes. My house is about ten minutes away from where Shawn is. Training together has been good for both of us so far. We geared up for the first three shows of the season – the Iromnan, Arnold and the San Jose pro show [all of which Flex won, taking home $1OK, $1OOK, and $1OK respectively, totaling a healthy $120,000]. Shawn can be a tiger. He’s pushed me harder than I’ve ever been pushed!

Q: Are the articles I read in the magazines about you and the other stars truthful and accurate?
FW: I always tell the truth, but not all articles tell the truth. The trouble with articles is that they tell you what I do or what someone else does, but that may not apply at all to you or work for you. When I read the articles, I know that I can never be them – the guys the articles are about – and they can never be me, unless they go talk to my parents and manage to go back in time somehow [laughter]. There’s nothing you can do to look like me and nothing I can do to look like you…and that’s how it is.

So when you read the articles, remember that you can’t train like me, and vice versa. Your physique and body type are different from mine, and we’re at different stages of development. It’s like you can’t drive a Volkswagen the same way you do a Ferrari.

Remember too that an article tells about what a person has found works for him. My advice to you is to try these other people’s routines that you read about and see what applies to you. Then use that.

Q: You kept your shape for three weeks - at the Ironman, Arnold and San Jose. That’s hard to do [Flex smiles]. A lotta guys say it’s really hard [Flex smiles more]. How did you do it?
FW: Wait until you see me tonight! [spoken self-mockingly, as if implying he’s not in the same shape now]

You know what it is? I hate to lose! Losing takes a hard toll on me. In our sport there’s no #2, no #3 - it’s just who’s #1. I diet hard and train hard, so when I come into a show I know that I’ve done all my work and I’m coming in the best I can.

On Saturday night after a show I eat as much as I can of whatever I want. I do the same on Sunday until 5 p.m. That way I reward myself and fill all of my cravings. But I actually get sick of it, and then I can hardly wait to get back on my diet.

I know also that with my particular body type and physique, when I’m in shape, I’m in. I just about glide, and it’s hard for something to get me out of shape. When I’m borderline, it’s difficult for me to try to improve. And when I’m outta shape [shaking his head], there’s nothing I can do!

Q: But how do you keep up your energy and drive to stay in condition?
FW: I’m paid to. That’s my job. Let me ask you: How do you get up every day and go to work? How do you get up, say, at 7 a.m. every day, every week, every month, every year? How do you do it, man? But you do it because that’s your job. In that respect things are no different for me than for anyone else. It’s my job, my profession. It’s earning money for me. It’s how I feed my family. I don’t want to sit out a year and watch other guys make money.

Q: You have competed quite consistently, haven’t you?
FW. Yes. I’ve done a lot of shows. I started competing as a pro in '93 and did seven shows that year. In '94 I had my car accident. In '95 I did five or six shows and in '96 five or six again. I’ve done three already this year, '97. I’m the winningest pro there is. No one else has accomplished what I have as a pro.

Q: Do titles help your promotion?
FW: Definitely. The more you can win, the more you can sell.

Q: Some of us in the audience have known you for a long time. For instance, Ron Flowers and his wife have known you since high school, and Rosemary Hallum wrote about you even before you won the NPC Cal. You were always genetically gifted and always very good. But you seem to have matured a lot lately, within the last year or so. Do you agree?
FW: Yes. The change happened in a very short period of time. It has a lot to do with the Man Upstairs. The biggest part is my fiancee, Madeline. I’m actually sharing my life with someone, and that has changed me tremendously. Some guys say I’m not as fast as I used to be [smiling, referring to his days as a ladies’ man], and I agree. I’m at a snail’s crawl right now, and I like it!

Q: When you started training, was any one bodypart superior to the others? And if so, how did you get all the bodyparts in balance?
FW: My biceps were superior. I always had big arms and was known for my big guns. They were big - and everything else was skinny [laughing]. I even had a sunken chest.

What did I do about it? I looked in the mirror and critically appraised myself, assessing and acknowledging what was good, what wasn’t, and what needed a lot more work. Finally I started wearing shorts and tights so that my weak bodyparts would show. That was rough on the ego! But I had to admit my weak bodyparts and start to train them with priority, not leaving them for last or just doing a couple of sets, but doing them first, concentrating on them and training them when I was at my freshest and most rested.

Q: What is your nutrition like?
FW: I have three different programs:

* Off-season, when I eat normal bodybuilder food.
* Precontest, serious diet time.
* Preshow, when I manipulate calories and dial in for the competition. 

Q: Is your diet really strict?
FW: Yes. At the level where I’m competing, you can’t fool around. None of the other guys do. Actually, water is my biggest problem, not diet.

People think that everything is easy if you have good genetics. I’ve been blessed with full muscles, round muscle bellies and good body structure, but that doesn’t mean I can take it easy. Let’s compare my situation with that of a voluptuous woman. She looks great, but if she gets careless, she’s fat. The same sort of thing happens with a bodybuilder.

Q: What are your main sources of protein?
FW: Three chicken breasts per meal, and that ain’t nothin’ to be happy about!

Q: Do you space your meals?
FW: Yes, pretty evenly, at 5 a.m., 9 a.m., 12 noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. That means I’ve got to live around a three-hour clock.

Some people see the glory of this sport, but they don’t see all the work and sacrifice that go into it. I don’t go hang out. I don’t go to movies. I sacrifice all that. Why? I figure I’ve been given a gift, and I can use it for only so long. This is my window in time. I don’t want to look back when I’m 45 or 50 and see what I didn’t accomplish because I didn’t do the necessary work or didn’t have the maturity to handle it.

Q: What do you do all day?
FW: Eat, sleep and train – that’s all I do. I’m up at 5 and get with the program right away - eat, sleep, train… and maybe listen to the radio. It’s a lot of fun. That’s the sacrifice I make, but I have to do it in order to achieve what I want. I’ve done well. I’ve done things no professional has ever done in this sport. My kids can read about what I’ve done. That’s something to be proud of.

Q: You’ve said that creatine is one of the best supplements. What brand do you use?
FW: I represent Weider and use all Weider products, including creatine. They’re paying me to use it. Besides, Joe’s been around for a while, so you’ve got to figure he knows a lot. But as for you personally, I can’t make creatine - or any particular brand of it - work for you. You’ve got to use it, go and train, and then see if there’s any improvement.

Q: How much effect does growth hormone have?
FW: What kind? Over-the-counter or under-the-counter?

Q: What would you say about me - a serious but noncompetitive bodybuilder taking growth hormone?
FW: [Replying instantaneously and looking right at the guy:] I’d say take your money and go see a psychiatrist. Using powerful drugs recreationally is the stupidest thing in the world. I’m down on any kind of drug whatsoever. It’s a personal decision, of course, but since you asked me, I’d say to use your money for something else.

Q: What is your training routine?
FW: I do a double split, training one bodypart in the morning and another in the afternoon or evening, usually four days on and one day off.

Q: How long is your training session?
FW: One and a half hours or an hour and 45 minutes, normally. I go home when my business is done and not a minute before. The other guys would love to tear me up onstage, but I’m not about to let that happen. If they’re better than me on the day of the show, that’s the luck of the draw, but they won’t beat me because I didn’t do my work or didn’t do what I should.

Q: Do you change your training exercises from off-season to precontest?
FW: Believe me, there ain’t no off-season! If I’m hammering legs and it works off-season, do you think I’m gonna change it? No way. Keep doin’ what works.

Q: What’s your leg workout?
FW: For a warmup I do leg extensions, 4 sets of 20 reps. Then I immediately go into squats, again 4 sets of 20 reps. Next I do leg presses and end with leg extensions. The reps are always 20, the sets always 4 or 5.

Q: I’ve heard you say that you do 10 to 12 reps for other bodyparts. Why do you do 20 for legs?
FW: Think about it. Think how important your legs are. They propel you all day long, so when you train 'em you’ve got to give 'em more weight and more stress than they normally handle.

Q: What weights do you use?
FW: Weights don’t mean crap. It’s the workout that counts. It’s your intensity and concentration, your form and the number of reps that count. [Noticing the questioner looking at him quizzically, Flex continues:] It’s never, never the weight, but always the intensity. If you’re trying to do a leg press with 400 pounds, say, but you can hardly move it, how much better it would be to cut the weight back to 300-something and be able to do 20 good reps where you control the weight.

Q: Your calves have developed immensely lately. What did you do different?
FW: [Spoken perfectly straight-faced] I spent $3500 on implants.

Q: Apiece or altogether?
FW. When I was training, my arms went from 20 to 23-1/2 inches and my thighs from 26 to 32-1/2 inches. Everything else grew, so it’s logical that my calves did also. I hope everything grew accordingly!

I train calves once or twice a week, doing 60 reps for 3 sets: 20 with a heavy weight, 20 a little lighter, and 20 still lighter.

Q: Your back is so well developed. What do you do for back-training?
FW: My back-training isn’t about any certain specific movements. Instead I hit it from any angle and every angle. I want to make sure that every pose from the rear is impressive, so I train the outer, inner, upper and lower back. I do all the bread-and-butter movements and variations.

Q: What’s the best exercise to bring out your abs?
FW: [Replying at warp speed:] Dieting! You’ve got to get that layer of fat off first. After you get rid of the pad of fat and water,then the abs can be prominent.

Q: What about your cardio?
FW: Cardio has never been a problem for me. I do cardio from 15 weeks out, and I may do it for two hours a day. If I’m really off, I’ll do more, adding 30 minutes in the morning. I believe in adding whatever you need.

Q: If you could give us just one piece of advice on training, what would it be?
FW: [Pausing, considering his reply] That’s pretty hard to say, but really, what I’d tell you is this: Get your butt in there and do it! Stop sitting around, stop talking and asking questions, stop saying that you’ll come in later. Do it and stop BSing around.

This advice applies to everything - like some guys complain that nobody tells 'em anything about diet. Stop asking questions and go find out how to eat. Get a book. You don’t need to sit around and be pissed off because nobody’s helping you. Get out there and do something for yourself.

What you need to realize is that bodybuilding is an individual sport. It’s all individuality – that is, centered around and dependent upon one person: you. You have to train, you have to diet, you have to get onstage in front of the judges, so assume responsibility and do whatever it takes.

Q: What is your opinion of your fellow competitors?
FW: They’re all world champions, and they’re all formidable. In all the shows I’m in, there are seven or eight world champions onstage, like Nasser, Shawn, Dillett and Cormier. At any time any of us can win. Almost all of us have beaten one another at some time.

Q: Were you happy to beat Kevin Levrone at the Arnold?
FW: Kevin wasn’t in his best shape then, so I didn’t really beat him. He beat himself. When we both get onstage and we’re both in our top condition, that’s when I want to beat him. At the Arnold I did my job and he didn’t do his. So… tough luck.

Q: What bodybuilders do you consider aesthetically pleasing?
FW: First of all you’ve got to remember that what’s aesthetically pleasing is in the eye of the beholder. I’d say Shawn Ray, of course. He’s a lot like me but in a little smaller package. And of course Lee Labrada. There are others too, but I can’t remember all the names immediately.

Q: Why did you shave your head? Did you copy someone, or were you influenced by someone else?
FW: I was the first one in the southern California area to shave my head. I’ve been doing it off and on since '92. 1 didn’t go onstage this way at first, although I have lately.

Q: As a well-known sports figure, how do you deal with people coming up to you all the time?
FW: I tend to walk with my eyes down, so I don’t see any negative looks or expressions, and no admiring ones either. Therefore I don’t get pissed off or happy [laughter]. I pretty much don’t make eye contact with people. Wearing dark glasses helps too.

My privacy means a lot to me, but I know that when I go to work or go out in public, I’ve got to deal with people. That’s part of the package. So I acknowledge the people, or I let people get to know me if I choose to.

Q: What do you see yourself doing when your competitive days are over?
FW: Well, the movie thing is going very well. There’s going to be a major motion picture situation coming up, but I don’t want to say anything about it at present. We’ll see what happens.

There’s a rule in show business: Keep 'em wanting more. And Flex does just that. After looking at his watch and answering the last two questions, he doesn’t pop up to leave. Instead he tells the crowd, “Madeline and I sat down and mapped out what we want to do, and we’ll make a public statement later.”

About what? The fans are buzzing as they leave. Stay tuned in to find out.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
.[/quote]

This is probably my favourite BB picture.

Flex offseason posing:

Young Flex bio and contest: (lol @ this one)

wow, before now I saw only a few pictures of Flex and was not impressed at all, to me he looked big/pumped
this thread definitely changed my mind, he’s one of my favorites now lol

[quote]adamhum wrote:
He should of hung in there like Jay did if possible. But to be honest a bodybuilders lifestyle is a year round 24/7 bitch that probably really wears on you. You have to really love it to keep doing it forever, regardless of talent.[/quote]

amen

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
wow, before now I saw only a few pictures of Flex and was not impressed at all, to me he looked big/pumped
this thread definitely changed my mind, he’s one of my favorites now lol[/quote]

Flex is my #1 favorite bodybuilder, both for his physique, and his attitude/personality.

wow, before now I saw only a few pictures of Flex and was not impressed at all, to me he looked big/pumped[/quote]

???

Please explain this statement. I am confused.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Please explain this statement. I am confused.[/quote]

Actually this was the one picture I saw; I thought he was a mass monster but didn’t think his physique was aesthetic at all. Pumped is a bad adjective, I meant to say I thought he lacked separation.

Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Actually this was the one picture I saw; I thought he was a mass monster but didn’t think his physique was aesthetic at all. Pumped is a bad adjective, I meant to say I thought he lacked separation.[/quote]

That indicates you are very new to bodybuilding. You need to view more of what people that size look like before you jump to conclusions. There isn’t anything you can tell from that picture other than that he is big…so no one who knows what to look for would judge aesthetics by it alone with no other sources at all.

Not to mention that Flex Wheeler is possibly one of the most talked about bodybuilders who never won an Olympia (for the last decade or more) so for you to not know who he was until just recently says a lot.

That means you need to watch more.

Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Actually this was the one picture I saw; I thought he was a mass monster but didn’t think his physique was aesthetic at all. Pumped is a bad adjective, I meant to say I thought he lacked separation.[/quote]

Flex Wheeler lacking separation = laughable

That is probably the worst picture I’ve ever seen of him. lol

Here he is in '99 in a lineup with Levrone and Ronnie (flex in the middle obviously).

A near-perfect example of the bodybuilding “X-frame”.

Flex has also been very involved with martial arts over the course of his life, and did pretty well when he competed.

For a better idea of how Flex trains in the offseason (rather than some of the weird stuff you might see him doing with Glass), here is his full “mass construction” series:

Chest training:

Shoulders:

Battle for the Olympia:

enjoy.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

That indicates you are very new to bodybuilding. You need to view more of what people that size look like before you jump to conclusions. There isn’t anything you can tell from that picture other than that he is big…so no one who knows what to look for would judge aesthetics by it alone with no other sources at all.

Not to mention that Flex Wheeler is possibly one of the most talked about bodybuilders who never won an Olympia (for the last decade or more) so for you to not know who he was until just recently says a lot.

That means you need to watch more.[/quote]

Hahahaha yeah I have less than 2 years solid training experience behind me. Right now I’m 180 lbs and 6’3", so I wouldn’t pretend to know much about the sport just yet.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
browndisaster wrote:
Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Actually this was the one picture I saw; I thought he was a mass monster but didn’t think his physique was aesthetic at all. Pumped is a bad adjective, I meant to say I thought he lacked separation.

Here he is in '99 in a lineup with Levrone and Ronnie (flex in the middle obviously).[/quote]

Still gotta give it to Coleman in that pic. His chest is so damn big it eclipses the Ronnie gut. Sure, lighting and angles plays a part in that, but still.

[quote]iwong wrote:
mr popular wrote:
browndisaster wrote:
Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Here he is in '99 in a lineup with Levrone and Ronnie (flex in the middle obviously).

Still gotta give it to Coleman in that pic. His chest is so damn big it eclipses the Ronnie gut. Sure, lighting and angles plays a part in that, but still.[/quote]

Ronnie didn’t have a gut in 99, not even close.

[quote]red04 wrote:
iwong wrote:
mr popular wrote:
browndisaster wrote:
Professor X wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

???

Still gotta give it to Coleman in that pic. His chest is so damn big it eclipses the Ronnie gut. Sure, lighting and angles plays a part in that, but still.

Ronnie didn’t have a gut in 99, not even close.[/quote]

Also, when someone weighs damn near 300lbs in contest shape, I am not sure it is even fair to claim they have a fucking GUT. Someone that big is not going to have a tiny waist of 30". Something like that wouldn’t even look right. I would be surprised someone weighing that much wouldn’t break in half if they didn’t have a thicker waist.

He had to eat small children to get that big yet people wanted his waist to look like it belonged on someone 100lbs less?