T Nation

Flex Lewis Getting Ready for Arnold Classic

Whoa.

So much muscle on a tiny frame.

Sitting at 220 9 weeks out. Looks fucking solid.

I saw this on FB the other day and it just blew my mind. Not since Yates’ pre-'93 Olympia gym pics has any photo just destroyed any notions in my mind as to just how much muscle you can cram onto a human frame.

It will never happen, but imagine Lewis onstage in an Open class Olympia, or even an Arnold event. The guy’s one of the nest ever if you ask me, and he’s still improving every year.

S

:o

Damn. He used to grow into shows.

[quote]BostjanBavcon wrote:
So much muscle on a tiny frame. [/quote]

Yeah, he’s 5’4" apparently (I’m not that far off either…I’m only 5’5"). Here’s that same pic with an averaged height individual behind him:

Flex still looks phenominal. The deep cuts and sweep of the thighs and the fullness of the shoulder girdle and arms…amazing. As someone indicated, this had as much impact on me as those old 90’s black and white photos of Dorian when he literally upped the size in one year it seemed.

I am amazed at how much mass he can pack on his frame as others have noted. And to gain that much mass since his last outing is incredible.

It looks like somebody took the best parts of Lee Priest and Kevin Levrone then gave them a Welsh accent!

I’m noting his chest could be fuller to match the ridiculous of this other proportions.
He’s not quite ready yet, and he will only lose some of this bulk as the diet and training progress. If he “loses” some of the proportions as he diets, his chest will get smaller too.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
As someone indicated, this had as much impact on me as those old 90’s black and white photos of Dorian when he literally upped the size in one year it seemed [/quote]
Black and white does seem to make physique photos just a little more epic.

Definitely a great build.

Flex looks at least 20 to 30 lbs heavier. Crazy

Levrone’s arms, shoulders and traps

On Priest’s legs

Lee’s forearms too.

Wow that’s perfection.

Do you guys like this “total freak” direction? I actually believe it’s why physique is taking off.

I’ll reserve judgement until he’s actually on stage… that’s an awesome pic though.

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
On Priest’s legs[/quote]
I’m now starting to notice a well developed tibialis anterior thanks to JM

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Do you guys like this “total freak” direction? I actually believe it’s why physique is taking off. [/quote]

Great question Brick. It’s loaded too, because its all so subjective.

Personally, I tend towards liking the freak look, as long as the waist is held in check. I do not like the stomach bulging look at all. Ronnie before his gut started protruding to me was awesome. I like Lee Priest because his stomach doesn’t really bulge out but his proportions are massive. Kevin Levrone was also excellent. My favorite though, when everything is taken into account, is something like Danny Padilla back in the 70’s.

The best era of bodybuilding to me was the 80’s and 90’s where aesthetics, conditioning, and actual posing ability were just as important as sheer mass. The bulging stomach look was beginning at the tail end of the 90’s and predominant in the 2000’s.

Physique contests will soon approach the level of size of the 80’s pro bodybuilder which is fine with me.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

Physique contests will soon approach the level of size of the 80’s pro bodybuilder which is fine with me. [/quote]

In some cases it has.

Good post.