Fletch's New Log

I’m not giving this one a program name, but my background is mostly doing Westside type training with a little basic block and 5/3/1 in there too. For now, I’ll be trying to incorporate ideas from Mike T’s RTS Manual and basically follow the basic template. Some of the suggestions seem well beyond my ability to recover I’ll be making modifications.

For the next 6 weeks here’s the basic template with the exercise choices for the primary lifts:

For now, just using basic fatigue stops.

Monday:
DE High Bar Box Squat- no percentage, just whatever I have to work hard to make go fast, box squat b/c I know this has high carry over to my regular squat
Heavy Snatch Grip Pull- get my hamstrings and upper back up to par b/c that’s holding my conventional pull back
squat assistance
abs

Tuesday:
paused CGBP
NG Incline Press
lats
shoulder/RC/upper back
arm flexion/ext
*yes, I now Mike T suggests a 3rd compound press, but that’s too much for my shoulders/elbows, I need more work for staying healthy

Thursday:
Heavy Front Squat
Deadlift Practice
dl assistance
abs

Friday:
Yoga Block Press
JM Press
Lats
shoulder/RC/upper back
arm flexion/ext

Low End Bench

Paused CGBP
155x7x5 RPE 7
155x5 RPE 7.5
155x5 RPE 8
Focused on keeping bar speed high, rest at 60s

Standard Incline NG DB Press
65x4x5 RPE 8
65x5 RPE 8.5
65x5 RPE 9

Supinated Chins
4x6

rope pushouts and face pull superset over 3 sets to pump

Lower Body

Front Squat
245x2 RPE 8
255x3x2 RPE 8
255x2 RPE 8.5
255x2 RPE 8
255x2 RPE 9

Conventional DL
315x2x5 RPE 7
315x5 RPE 7.5
315x5 RPE 8
RPE is based on form break down rather than ability, last set got pretty difficult to keep my back tight

RDL
225x3x8
after the other work, my low back got crazy pumped but I did keep it tight, side and front midsection got it good too

hanging leg raised
3x15

9x5 bench… thats intense. Have you tried out the “stir the pot” exercise brian carroll was talking about? I did it the other day and I really like how it kept my core and back tight and how it completely kicked my ass.

It really wasn’t that bad. I was basically toeing the line between rep and speed work.

I looked up that stir the pot thing. That looks brutal! I look forward to it on Monday.

Bench Day

Yoga Block Press
245x3 RPE 8
255x3 RPE 8
255x2x3 RPE 8.5
255x3 RPE 9

Non-Strict JM Press
185x3x5
185x5 RPE 8.5
185x5 RPE 9

paused cable rows
70x4x8

db cuban press and hammer curls

Nice front squat work.

Do you do genie or clean grip?

Thanks! Always clean grip. I can’t get tight at all with the genie grip.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Thanks! Always clean grip. I can’t get tight at all with the genie grip. [/quote]

Don’t you find it hard on your wrists/elbows?

I do some extra wrist, lat, and thoracic flexibility/mobility drills before I front squat and it seems to do the trick. At least for shorter sets. For higher reps, the only thing I know to do is pick a different exercise. It makes me wish I had a front squat harness but those things are expensive!

Have you tried using wrist straps around the bar for front squats? I find it much more comfortable, especially for high reps. A little less expensive than a harness also.

Yep, and I still can’t get as tight.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
…mostly doing Westside type training with a little basic block and 5/3/1 in there too. For now, I’ll be trying to incorporate ideas from Mike T’s RTS Manual and basically follow the basic template.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing what you’re doing? I don’t mean that at all in a “why aren’t you sticking to the program” sense, but rather, “why has your training evolved in this direction”. What’s worked for you, what hasn’t, why have you put things together that way.

[quote]Josgood wrote:
Have you tried using wrist straps around the bar for front squats? I find it much more comfortable, especially for high reps. A little less expensive than a harness also. [/quote]

I may give this a go as well.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
…mostly doing Westside type training with a little basic block and 5/3/1 in there too. For now, I’ll be trying to incorporate ideas from Mike T’s RTS Manual and basically follow the basic template.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing what you’re doing? I don’t mean that at all in a “why aren’t you sticking to the program” sense, but rather, “why has your training evolved in this direction”. What’s worked for you, what hasn’t, why have you put things together that way.[/quote]

I starting to get to the point where I don’t need to follow a stringent template anymore and can start to play things more by ear now. Mike T’s RTS manual is a great guide for this so this is the direction I’m going in.

Also, I know ME and DE works for me, but I’m not sure if it’s optimal all the time so this will give me a chance to find out.

Lower

Box Squat w/ chains w/ dense foam pad
275x5 RPE 8 should’ve started lower in weight so I’d have been at a lower 8 to get more volume
275x5 RPE 8.5
275x5 RPE 9

Snatch Grip DL
345x5x2 RPE 8
345x2 RPE 9

GM
135x4x8

stir the pot
-just two sets since it’s new and I can’t have debilitating doms tomorrow

That wo took forever (1.5hr) and they’re all going to be like that following this template. Even if I have to go more often, I want shorter workouts especially for the hours of my new job I’ll have soon (12hr shifts, 45min commute one way). That leaves less than an hour for workouts if I want supper and sleep and I most certainly do.

Sunday
Main Squat
DL Supplement
Squat Assistance
abs

Monday
Main Low End Bench
Shoulders

Tuesday
Supp Low End
Horizontal Lats

Wednesday
off

Thursday
Squat Supp
abs

Friday
Main DL
High End Bench
DL assistance

Saturday
High End Bench Supp
Shoulders
Vertical Lats

If you’ve read Mike T’s RTS, my assistance and supp is not what he calls his, mine are the Westside definitions.

Logistics:
-Do all cooking for the week on Saturday and Sunday.
-Start bringing workout clothes and bag in the car to work so I go straight to the gym after my shift, then home to the already prepared meal at home, not sure if I’ll have time for a shake and supper.

Wednesday Upper

AM:
2ct Paused Chain Press
225x2 RPE light 8
235x5x2 RPE 8
235x2 RPE 8.5
I wanted another set or 2 but I was running low on time, will work up to RPE 10 from 8.5 on PM WO to make up for it

bb cuban press w/ 30lb curl bar
3x10 short rest
nice burn in upper back and shoulders

PM:
WGBP
235x6x5 RPE 8
235x7 RPE 10
overestimated the weight

NG Lat Pull Downs
120x4x10

Thursday:

Front Squat
225x4 RPE 7.5-8
245x2x4 RPE 8
245x4 RPE 8.5
245x4 RPE 9, on the last rep the bar was starting to roll down, one more rep was doable but would’ve been ugly

Palloff Press
60x3x12

Friday

Deadlift
405x8x1 speed work
435x1 RPE 7.5
465x1 RPE 8.5
495xmiss my grip gave out, that’s a first at least it’s an easy fix, form got pretty ugly, should probably keep in under 475 for now

RDL
225x4x8 hook grip to get that extra grip work in